How far do you drive to get to church?

inthepink

Just curious...

The new church I found is about 25 minutes which isn't too bad. But there's another church that I considered that would be a 45 minute drive.

So...how far do you drive to get to church? If it's over 30 minutes away, are you able to still participate in weeknight events/studies?

What issues have you encountered being far from church?

For those of you who are super close to church (15 min or less), what benefits do you enjoy? If you moved 30 minutes away, would you still drive (45 min) to attend your church? or would you prefer to find a new one? Why or why not?

Just would like some conversation around this. :)

PaperClip

I travel to get to other places, I can make and prioritize travel time/resources to get to church. Maybe it's a geographical area issue (metro Detroit)... gotta drive a car to get to most places.

I commute 40-45 minutes (one way) to school. (30 miles)
I used to drive 20 minutes (one way) to my hairdresser.
My longest commute to work was 30 minutes (one way).
My current drive to church is 20 minutes (16 miles) one way...and I have driven to church in blizzards and very hazardous driving conditions. Before my church moved to its current location, my commute was about 35 minutes...and I was there for EVERYTHING.

Travel would not be an issue for the church that the Lord called me to attend/participate.

inthepink

I travel to get to other places, I can make and prioritize travel time/resources to get to church. Maybe it's a geographical area issue (metro Detroit)... gotta drive a car to get to most places.

My current drive to church is 20 minutes (16 miles) one way...and I have driven to church in blizzards and very hazardous driving conditions. Before my church moved to its current location, my commute was about 35 minutes...and I was there for EVERYTHING.

Travel would not be an issue for the church that the Lord called me to attend/participate.

To the first bolded - You're very blessed in this! This is a big issue depending where you live. I spend 3 hours commuting to work per day!

To the second bolded - Not bad at all.

PinkPebbles

After two years of being in transition of trying to find a new church home....I finally joined one last Sunday! It's about 10 min away from my house.

However, my old church was 40 min away from my home. I was heavily active and was apart of ministries that required my time during the week.
Like FoxyScholar said, I commute pretty far to my job everyday so I don't have a problem commuting to a church where I'm spirtually fed.

When I was in transition to find a new church home I use to commute a great distance to visit different churches.

I think it's very important who you allow to minister to your spirit. I believe we all have a purpose and destiny to fulfill. Therfore, joining the right church and being connected to the right pastor can birth forth your mission in the earth.

During my transition I started to become a little discourage because my spirit would not allow me to join the churches that I was visiting. Suddenly, I visited this one church and my spirit leaped. The church vision and the messages that I was hearing aligned with what God placed in my spirit. As a result, it didn't take long for me to join this church!

divya

Where I am currently living for school, I drive 20 minutes to church. Most of the activities that I participate in are on Sabbath, rather than during the week.

Back home, I drive 40 minutes. Because home is the Washington DC area (VA side), the drive to church can easily end up being an 1 hour or more, and the same goes for the drive back. But that's alright! Activities were harder when I was living at home because by the time I would get home from DC, it would be too late to come back out. So weekend events were easier for me. :yep:

Next year, after I get married, we'll be going 10 minutes away from our church. And I plan to be in everything!!! :yep:

inthepink

After two years of being in transition of trying to find a new church home....I finally joined one last Sunday! It's about 10 min away from my house.

However, my old church was 40 min away from my home. I was heavily active and was apart of ministries that required my time during the week.
Like FoxyScholar said, I commute pretty far to my job everyday so I don't have a problem commuting to a church where I'm spirtually fed.

When I was in transition to find a new church home I use to commute a great distance to visit different churches.

I think it's very important who you allow to minister to your spirit.
I believe we all have a purpose and destiny to fulfill. Therfore, joining the right church and being connected to the right pastor can birth forth your mission in the earth.

During my transition I started to become a little discourage because my spirit would not allow me to join the churches that I was visiting. Suddenly, I visited this one church and my spirit leaped. The church vision and the messages that I was hearing aligned with what God placed in my spirit. As a result, it didn't take long for me to join this church!

This is exactly how I feel!! There is one church I attended for a little over a year but I just kept "feeling" like something wasn't right about me being there and I finally left. Only to have months of trying a church here or there and just being very discouraged.

Thank you for sharing.

inthepink

Where I am currently living for school, I drive 20 minutes to church. Most of the activities that I participate in are on Sabbath, rather than during the week.

Back home, I drive 40 minutes. Because home is the Washington DC area (VA side), the drive to church can easily end up being an 1 hour or more, and the same goes for the drive back. But that's alright! Activities were harder when I was living at home because by the time I would get home from DC, it would be too late to come back out. So weekend events were easier for me. :yep:

Next year, after I get married, we'll be going 10 minutes away from our church. And I plan to be in everything!!! :yep:

I can definitely understand this! When I lived 10 minutes from my church, I could be there every night if I wanted to! I had time to go to church and then keep up my house and whatever else I needed to do. I do think it's a blessing to be close by. However, if you're not, there are ways of making it work especially if you feel led to be there. :yep:

PinkPebbles

This is exactly how I feel!! There is one church I attended for a little over a year but I just kept "feeling" like something wasn't right about me being there and I finally left. Only to have months of trying a church here or there and just being very discouraged.

Thank you for sharing.

Hang in there! Trust, I understand. I'm still saying to myself...wow, finally I have a church home. God definitely led me there...I'm still puzzled at the fact that this church was 10 min away from me and it took me two years to find it:lol:!

I believe it took me that long to find it so God could literally show me how important it is to be consistently spiritually fed and fellowshipping with other believers. At one point in my life....I said oh, it's not that serious to be apart of a church. As long as I read my bible and pray I'll be fine. NOT so for me....

Ramya

I drive 20 minutes to church twice a week. It's not a bad drive but I wish my church was closer.

inthepink

Hang in there! Trust, I understand. I'm still saying to myself...wow, finally I have a church home. God definitely led me there...I'm still puzzled at the fact that this church was 10 min away from me and it took me two years to find it:lol:!

I believe it took me that long to find it so God could literally show me how important it is to be consistently spiritually fed and fellowshipping with other believers. At one point in my life....I said oh, it's not that serious to be apart of a church. As long as I read my bible and pray I'll be fine. NOT so for me....

That's pretty funny! :lol:

blazingthru

The church I am deciding on is about 12 - 15 minutes away. The church I use to go to is about 35 to 30 minutes away. I drive about 2 hours to work and back home everyday (depending on traffic) so thats not bad for me. I love that the church is closer I can go home and change and go to other things. I just recently started attending other things at the church they just started game night when sunsets on saturday I am excited about it but haven't attended yet. My old job years ago was right around the corner where I lived. I was literally two or three minutes from work. Plus since my father is a minister church was always next door.

inthepink

The church I am deciding on is about 12 - 15 minutes away. The church I use to go to is about 35 to 30 minutes away. I drive about 2 hours to work and back home everyday (depending on traffic) so thats not bad for me. I love that the church is closer I can go home and change and go to other things. I just recently started attending other things at the church they just started game night when sunsets on saturday I am excited about it but haven't attended yet. My old job years ago was right around the corner where I lived. I was literally two or three minutes from work. Plus since my father is a minister church was always next door.

That's great and I totally relate with this. Since I commute a total of 3 hours a day, I have to really plan to be home to even make a bible study on a weeknight. Sometimes I plan and still don't make it (something goes on at work and I'm 15 minutes late out the door and miss the train and have to wait 30 minutes for another one.) And I agree - it's nice to be able to go home and change and make dinner. :yep: Definitely advantages.

BeautifulFlower

I'd drive up to 45mins to go to a church. It would have to be a great church. My current church is about 10 to 15mins away. We have two campuses...Benefits: accesibility and the friends I make dont live to far from me. I know alot of people that travel an hour or more to go to my church...if you feel lead to be at that church, distance shouldnt stop you.

inthepink

I'd drive up to 45mins to go to a church. It would have to be a great church. My current church is about 10 to 15mins away. We have two campuses...Benefits: accesibility and the friends I make dont live to far from me. I know alot of people that travel an hour or more to go to my church...if you feel lead to be at that church, distance shouldnt stop you.

I have not even been there yet - have only looked into it online. Not sure yet if I even feel led to try it. Was just curious about everyone else's home church experience. :)

But yet, there are benefits to being close. If your church is nearby and the people live nearby (many do, it seems), then it's easier to create and maintain friendships - especially when you're single.

Demi27

I am trying to find a church that's closer to me as well.
My old church was about 20-25 min away. That wasn't too bad, but after a while I just didn't have the urge to go there anymore.

I travel about 45 min in the morning to work and approx 45-an hour to go back (DMV area). The church I attended was PAST my house in the opposite direction.

I don't know. Over time, something just didn't appear to me about it anymore. I loved the church, but...I dunno. I'm hoping to find a new one.

inthepink

I am trying to find a church that's closer to me as well.
My old church was about 20-25 min away. That wasn't too bad, but after a while I just didn't have the urge to go there anymore.

I travel about 45 min in the morning to work and approx 45-an hour to go back (DMV area). The church I attended was PAST my house in the opposite direction.

I don't know. Over time, something just didn't appear to me about it anymore. I loved the church, but...I dunno. I'm hoping to find a new one.

Good luck with finding what you're looking for!

inthepink

I decided that I am going to go ahead and try the church that is 45 minutes away. I hadn't felt led to try it but now I do. I will definitely report back on how it goes.

hurricane

Just curious...

The new church I found is about 25 minutes which isn't too bad. But there's another church that I considered that would be a 45 minute drive.

So...how far do you drive to get to church? If it's over 30 minutes away, are you able to still participate in weeknight events/studies?

What issues have you encountered being far from church?

For those of you who are super close to church (15 min or less), what benefits do you enjoy? If you moved 30 minutes away, would you still drive (45 min) to attend your church? or would you prefer to find a new one? Why or why not?

Just would like some conversation around this. :)

This is a good topic. For 5 years I traveled back and forth to get to my church. It was hard for me to be active because we had so much going on during the week. Tuesday night Bible study, Wednesday night choir, Friday night programs. I have to leave my house an hour early to get there on time. Guess what? I got burned out. I stopped even going to church and stayed out a whole year, because locally we don't have any churches that fit my needs. That is why I ended up there. I just recently started back again. Not looking forward to driving. So now I just show up on Sunday.

If I do find a local church with a strong Pastor. I will move my membership.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
We travel about 20 minutes; depending on traffic and/or rainy weather it may take about 25 or 30 minutes.

It used to be under 10 minutes, and I could easily walk there from home on a nice day. However, we were recently blessed with a new building location and it's beautiful and much larger for our growing congregation.

The entrance has a large receiving area before entering the sanctuary which is wonderful to allow those who enter to settle themselves there, and not have disturbing chatter in the sanctuary during intercessory prayer and worship services.

So, we don't mind the extra time and distance.... :lol: :happydance:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

When I was teaching at my first Church, the travel was over an hour by public transportation and about 30 minutes by car.

One morning, my daughter and I traveled to school (for her)/work (for me) in the rain, only to find out that it was a hurricane watch for the entire area and vicinity. :lol:

Ummmm, my point?

It didn't matter to us about the distance, or the weather, we just wanted to be there. When you're in the right place, distance has no bouundaries or limitations. You just go and flow; and think nothing of it. God just 'carries' you that way. :yep:

inthepink

This is a good topic. For 5 years I traveled back and forth to get to my church. It was hard for me to be active because we had so much going on during the week. Tuesday night Bible study, Wednesday night choir, Friday night programs. I have to leave my house an hour early to get there on time. Guess what? I got burned out. I stopped even going to church and stayed out a whole year, because locally we don't have any churches that fit my needs. That is why I ended up there. I just recently started back again. Not looking forward to driving. So now I just show up on Sunday.

If I do find a local church with a strong Pastor. I will move my membership.

I can totally understand that!

With my already 3 hour roundtrip commute one way to work via train, I couldn't imagine then another 1.5 hour roundtrip commute to church. I can see getting burned out REALLY quickly on that.

I appreciate you sharing what happened to you.

Even though I am single, I still have a house to keep up. And though many people don't think so, commuting is VERY exhausting even if it's by train.

But, this particular church offers a Sunday school class and 5 services on Sundays! Yes, FIVE services! They even mention that they have their Sunday school class for people who have to drive a distance and cannot make it on weekdays. Should I find I like this church, I would just sacrifice more time on Sunday and go for the 10am Sunday class and then church at 11:30 which they recommend.

Last edited: