How far do you drive to get to church?

Allandra

I can totally understand that!

With my already 3 hour hour commute one way to work via train, I couldn't imagine then another 1.5 hour roundtrip commute to church. I can see getting burned out REALLY quickly on that.

I appreciate you sharing what happened to you.

Even though I am single, I still have a house to keep up. And though many people don't think so, commuting is VERY exhausting even if it's by train.

But, this particular church offers a Sunday school class and 5 services on Sundays! Yes, FIVE services! They even mention that they have their Sunday school class for people who have to drive a distance and cannot make it on weekdays. Should I find I like this church, I would just sacrifice more time on Sunday and go for the 10am Sunday class and then church at 11:30 which they recommend.
OMG. I had no idea it took you 3 hours to get to work.

hopeful

I decided that I am going to go ahead and try the church that is 45 minutes away. I hadn't felt led to try it but now I do. I will definitely report back on how it goes.

Yes, let us know how it goes. We moved to where we live now 3 years ago, it took us 2 1/2 years to find a church home. I love my church and like Shimmie we are building a big, beautiful, new church so that is exciting as well. Sometimes you have to be really determined to find a church home. Last summer I sat down and made out a list of churches that I was determined our family would visit and I was determined that we would find a church home. Fortunately the first one on the list was the right one:). Funny thing is I found that church when we first moved here, printed out their info from their website, asked around about it, etc., but we never went for some reason. I guess this past fall was just the right time, we felt at home right away.

I can totally understand that!

With my already 3 hour roundtrip commute one way to work via train, I couldn't imagine then another 1.5 hour roundtrip commute to church. I can see getting burned out REALLY quickly on that.

I appreciate you sharing what happened to you.

Even though I am single, I still have a house to keep up. And though many people don't think so, commuting is VERY exhausting even if it's by train.

But, this particular church offers a Sunday school class and 5 services on Sundays! Yes, FIVE services! They even mention that they have their Sunday school class for people who have to drive a distance and cannot make it on weekdays. Should I find I like this church, I would just sacrifice more time on Sunday and go for the 10am Sunday class and then church at 11:30 which they recommend.

ITA hairlove, commuting is very exhausting, I feel for you. Being single does not mean you have all of this extra free-time, I totally get that.

inthepink

Sometimes you have to be really determined to find a church home. Last summer I sat down and made out a list of churches that I was determined our family would visit and I was determined that we would find a church home. Fortunately the first one on the list was the right one:). Funny thing is I found that church when we first moved here, printed out their info from their website, asked around about it, etc., but we never went for some reason. I guess this past fall was just the right time, we felt at home right away.

That's for sure. I've been moved almost 2 years and while I found what I thought was my church home for a year, I had to move on. I was really discourage for a while - during a 3 month period, I only went to church maybe 5 or 6 times trying out new ones here or there but just not "feeling it." But I am determined once again. I just NEED church. There is good teaching on the tv and internet but for me, I just NEED a church home. I can take a break but I can't give up.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Try turning it inot a "jam session"..
We blast my radio with inspirational music and "jam" on our way down to church ... yes, please let us know how you like the drive. It took me a while to get used to the driving. Now, almost two years later, it's something I look forward to and I'm all hyped by the time I get there!

PLUS - the praise confuses the Enemy,. You know Satan hates that.. ;)

I decided that I am going to go ahead and try the church that is 45 minutes away. I hadn't felt led to try it but now I do. I will definitely report back on how it goes.

inthepink

Try turning it inot a "jam session"..
We blast my radio with inspirational music and "jam" on our way down to church ... yes, please let us know how you like the drive. It took me a while to get used to the driving. Now, almost two years later, it's something I look forward to and I'm all hyped by the time I get there!

PLUS - the praise confuses the Enemy,. You know Satan hates that.. ;)

That's a great idea! My favorite is listening to Rebecca St. James on the way to church. I'll have to remember to put her in my car again. :)

inthepink

:) :) I look forward to reading your post after that trip..

I am having second thoughts now...

You know how when you go to a large church for the first time, you can just sort of go in, check it out, go home unnoticed? While the opposite is true for a smaller church. I had thought this was a larger church but I think I've been mistaken and so now I'm feeling a little so-so about it. I don't much like being noticed sometimes...

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Girl..you get NOTICED in a large church, too! :) lol

I hope you enjoy your first visit, if you do go.

kayte

it's a ten minute walk!

I looked for a church for years
in all neighborhoods..far and near...and found by the grace of God
my church in my own neighborhood..it's a celebrated church
and it's great... we have small groups throughout the week,
the amazing AA minister,who counsels me,of course has her office there
Women's minstry and tea,Spiritual Entrepreneur group,weekend site retreat
Sunday after church on site brunches,Wed night Gospel communion
etc etc

and I just ..umm.. skip back and forth
to the sanctuary as it were
:)

Last edited:

auparavant

I know of people who would drive hours to get to their place of worship but they might not be able to go every week.

Iwanthealthyhair67

on sunday 15-20 mins max

through the week a little longer because of traffic 30 max and I go 3-4 times per week on average

For me, If I can make it out to work everyday, then I can make it to church on church nights/days ...it's about the same amount of time to work depending on traffic and if it's summer or not ...