How hazardous is your relaxer to your health???

Angel of the North

Whilst reading a thread a couple of wks ago on parabens I came across a link (I believe it was posted by nonie, correct me if I'm wrong) that took me to a cosmetic safety review site.

My next relaxer is due on Dec 19th, I want to move to MBB but wont be able to do that till the new year so I was looking for a stop gap relaxer and I wanted to check out the reviews on relaxers and how safe they are to assist me in making an informed decision. They have many different brands and rate them on a scale of 0 (low) - 10 (high) for hazard.

I was very suprised by what I saw and thought I would share, they breakdown exactly which ingredients are the perpetrators and how they can affect us. They also cover all types cosmetic products (i.e.hair/skin/baby/make-up etc.) so you may want to check out the website for other products too.

I went in with the idea that I would try ORS olive oil relaxer due to the good feedback I've read :lachen:I hope someone finds this as useful as I did

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?category=hair relaxer

exoticmommie

I am actually surprised I thought all or most would be in the red.

I wonder why the aren't listing the stuff used in salons. I want more info on that.

I am glad I stopped using Dark and Lovely though...

Angel of the North

I was shocked at the fact that Dark & Lovely only made a 5, I expected that to be much higher, I was also disappointed at where phyto ranked on the list. I 'm now thinking about trying the motions salon herbal.

exoticmommie

I was shocked at the fact that Dark & Lovely only made a 5, I expected that to be much higher, I was also disappointed at where phyto ranked on the list. I 'm now thinking about trying the motions salon herbal.

Yeah me too, I wonder if there are any reviews on it. But I really wanted to move to Mizani. I wonder why those and others, which are really popular are on the list.

ETA:
The one review I saw on motions was bad. I will stick with SE shea butter for now.

http://www.discountbeautycenter.com...ucts/Motions-Herbal-Relaxer-Regular-50845.htm

Last edited:

JJamiah

Wow, I rank @ 5 with Motions, but I am glad I stopped using Just for me and Dark and Lovely Beautiful Beginnings, I couldn't imagine using that in my childs hair, I use to use it though, SCAREY!

Neith

I've been to this site before... I dunno what to think.

Calcium Hydroxide only scores a 1/2 on their hazard scale. Makes me wonder how many other things are misleading there...

Angel of the North

That's the problem, we are often given conflicting information but how are we supposed to work out which of these are correct?

I would never in my life have considered using the motions relaxer before reading the stuff on the website. The one that they have rated as being low-moderate is not the one in the yellow tub it's the one in the green tub, the yellow tub is slightly higher on the scale I think. I was trying to post a picture but I seem to be having problems

chiprecious

Well according to our government, parabens are ok, eating propyl gycol are cool, and while you're at it, go ahead and vaccinate yourself with a little mercury. Standards of hazardness are very subjective...

Galadriel

Thanks, OP. The scary thing is that children's relaxers are #10 toxicity level :perplexed.

Whilst reading a thread a couple of wks ago on parabens I came across a link (I believe it was posted by nonie, correct me if I'm wrong) that took me to a cosmetic safety review site.

My next relaxer is due on Dec 19th, I want to move to MBB but wont be able to do that till the new year so I was looking for a stop gap relaxer and I wanted to check out the reviews on relaxers and how safe they are to assist me in making an informed decision. They have many different brands and rate them on a scale of 0 (low) - 10 (high) for hazard.

I was very suprised by what I saw and thought I would share, they breakdown exactly which ingredients are the perpetrators and how they can affect us. They also cover all types cosmetic products (i.e.hair/skin/baby/make-up etc.) so you may want to check out the website for other products too.

I went in with the idea that I would try ORS olive oil relaxer due to the good feedback I've read :lachen:I hope someone finds this as useful as I did

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?category=hair relaxer