ORS no lye relaxer = poisonous??

omg. i was not expecting such a strong response. i am in agreeal with pretty much all of yall. every product has some sort of hazard. some more than others of course. relaxers in nature are hazardous because altering the native configuration of a protein (hair) either needs foreign chemicals (relaxers) or extreme heat (flat iron). but it is best to be knowledgable of which products would cause the most harm. water?? not so much. but it is best to drink natural water thats not packaged in nasty plastics. but benzene of course is not something u would want to be absorbed into your skin. now im at the fork in the road because i love straight hair and may kill someone during a transition because i get easily annoyed if my hair wont cooperate. but should i continue relaxing, u better believe im changing the hair products i use now. i hae mostly switch to naturals oils & all that, but my conditioner sure isnt. and mane & tail conditioner is a 5/10. so ill probably stick to relaxers, but choose lower hazard ones, and switch my entire regimen to natural and organic. thanks to all the ladies who posted & if u have anything else to add please do!!

Well, the LHCF ladies Feel things Passionately!!!!!

I have no issues!!!! I am feeling good and safe in my partially not - so toxic world! We are here to help each other!

I had written a long comment, but there's no reason to try to settle these debates....

Relaxers are now the official source of:
1. Self-image problems
2. Hair damage
3. Obesity
4. And cancer
Okay....*sarcasm*

1. I think it's the other way around actually, but that's a whole 'nother thread.
2. Umm yeah...that's what relaxers do to get your hair straight.
3. That's a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch.
4. Yup...well not the relaxers per se. But, the chemicals that are released during their mixing, application, and use.

This debate is not just about relaxers, even though that's what the OP is about. Many ingredients that are commonly used in hair and body products have been found to be toxic and cancer causing. So whether they cause ovarian cancer or asthma, it's still a problem. At the very least it's something people should be informed about if they're going to use a product.

thanks to all the ladies who posted & if u have anything else to add please do!!

You're welcome! I don't think I was much help, sorry to hijack your thread!

1. I think it's the other way around actually, but that's a whole 'nother thread.
4. Yup...well not the relaxers per se. But, the chemicals that are released during their mixing, application, and use.

This debate is not just about relaxers, even though that's what the OP is about. Many ingredients that are commonly used in hair and body products have been found to be toxic and cancer causing. So whether they cause ovarian cancer or asthma, it's still a problem. At the very least it's something people should be informed about if they're going to use a product.

I was joking about the obesity, a lame attempt to lighten things up & show how extreme the discussion becomes whenever there is a mention of relaxers/ beauty products in general & their potential harmful effects.

I just can't go around eliminating everything in my home because it has an ingredient that is known to cause cancer.

I breathe carcinogens all day, every day. Whatever i throw out my home is gonna be compensated whenever i take my next breath.

It's something i feel i cant control ultimately. The sheets i sleep on, the radioactive waves coming off my laptop as i type, the scarf i have on my head my have cancer causing agents in it...its just too much.

And i have also been hearing a lot about vegans, fitness-minded folks who are STILL getting cancer and havin' heart attacks. They couldnt avoid it.

Well, my Dark and Lovely no-lye relaxer is only a 4. So many people I know asks me why I'm still using that old fashioned relaxer. I'm glad I am, especially now.

Well, my Dark and Lovely no-lye relaxer is only a 4. So many people I know asks me why I'm still using that old fashioned relaxer. I'm glad I am, especially now.
ohhh yay!!~ thats actually the net namebrand relaxer i was going to try because i am IN LOVE with their blue black hair dye!!!!

I totally agree with you 100% (except for number 1 but I'ma leave that alone for now lol)

I don't think the problem comes from people being informed, but when the people doing the informing come off like( not say ) either they are so much better some how for not using harmful chemicals or that the person using them is stupid or ignorant in some way for choosing not to avoid the product.( not saying you said these things at all ) I just see it a lot on the forum. people can be really judgmental sometimes towards people who make different choices than they do. I know everyone has and is entitled to their opinion but I think its noticeable when somebody is genuinely and sincerely stating their opinion and when somebody is just being snooty. JMO

Back