How I Grew Out My Nape

Your Cheeziness

****DON'T quote pics please. Sorry they're gigantic!****

The nape area is probably the most vulnerable area of our hair. It's always rubbing against clothes and collars and for many people, this area has hair that is finer and more delicate than everywhere else, along with the hairline.

My nape was the reason I started my hair journey in 2008. I didn't care about having long hair, I just wanted to be able to have my nape not look like taco meat even being 1 day post. I did everything wrong that there was to do with at home hair care and consequently, my nape took the brunt of the beating.

This is my starting point in August 2008.

And below, March 2010.

(I've had two haircuts and 2 trims between the first and second pics.)

Now, my nape is the same length as the rest of my hair and I love not having see-throughs. The growth process was a bit slow even during my Megatek stint. Disclosure: Megatek only increased my growth rate, not helped retain it. You must apply healthy practices to keep the hair you grow.

Here are the biggest tips I was thoroughly consistent about over the past year:

1. Applying relaxer last with minimal to no smoothing resulting in a texlax.

No, it's not that attractive, but it's best for your most delicate areas for you to minimize chemical exposure. My hair quickly grew from taco meat to a big ole chia pet! I loved it!

2. Moisturize and seal. If I didn't do anything else, I applied a creamy moisturizer and sealed with an oil to this area every single night.

3. Minimize manipulation. I understand that its hard to disguise a nape when it's sticking out making the back of your neck look like Sonic the Hedgehog. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. It's the awkward grow-out phase and you'll have to do what you have to do.

My favorite low-manipulation hair styles included the inverted french braid and Southern Tease bun. The external french braid where the full braid is exposed makes you need to have more tension so I avoided these.

Flexirod sets are another great alternative as the busy curls draw your hair up making it appear fuller and distracting anyone from the situation at the back of your neck.

4. Use low-tension. If you must brush, brush lightly and after you've moisturized and sealed your hair. You wouldn't try to drive your car without oil would you? So don't brush your hair without a lubricant.

Also, avoid forcing your nape into elastics, Place your elastic higher on your head and use a hair-friendly bobby pin to secure your nape up. It'll thank you later. If you feel the tension, it's too tight. Go another route.

5. Snip, snip! Last, but not least, you can get a trim or cut. This will rid you of your longer hair and give you the true appearance of fuller hair. After all of the babying I did and grew my nape out, it simply was not humanly possible for it to "catch up". The rest of your hair will continue to grow so your nape is about 5 steps behind.

Check the before and after. I cut, because my "down" styles would not last. They did not hang right due to the lack of shape.

A few weeks after my cut in April 2009.

I did not miss my hair one bit after I was able to swing it around and wear whatever style I wanted because it had shape to it and I was not self-conscious about having see-throughs. Of course, this was the last resort, but always keep this option in mind.

Now, my hair is full and I'm very happy about my nape. It feels good to be able to set my nape on the same size rollers as the rest of my hair!

April 2010 (I've trimmed a few times between this and the previous April 2009 pic)

:)

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
Holy smokes I needed this thread! Great progress and i will keep your tips in mind when it comes to dealing with my nape.

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
This is good. I see the nape issue a lot just walking around everyday. I always thought it was from hand in hair disease or the tendency to mess with the "kitchen" area.

brittanynic16

I grew out my nape too (siggy). Good advice. All I did was leave it be, keep it stretched (natural) and trim as needed.

beans4reezy

Your Cheeziness, this is such a great and informative thread. You know you are one of my LHCF faves...your hair as usual, looks beautiful!

hopeful

You did a great job! I had the same problem as you for years and also discovered the magic of the creamy leave in and oil. My third staple was/is s-curl, the trio worked wonders for my nape. I found the nape problem to be very embarrassing and depressing. I was overjoyed to discover I didn't have to live with this problem my entire life. Thank you for sharing your story.

Minty

Always a beautiful treat to read these wonderful stories. You've done an excellent job dear and I'm so happy for you. Love the french braid roll. Nothing beats a clean trim/dust/cut on growing hair. It really makes all the difference.

detroitdiva

I am so thankful for your post! My nape is a problem area for me as well, and I hate the way it breaks off once I grow it out some. Seems like I don't get anywhere with it! I appreciate your tips and I am going to implement them into my current regimen. Thank you so much!

Btw, your hair is gorgeous!!

OMG! You have read my mind...I really needed to see this, because in aug 09 my left side looked like your nape and everytime I wash it I get so deppressed....it's about 4-5 inches long and I have 3/4 in of new growth, the right side is between apl and bsl and the back is bsl...I have been bunning since Fed 10 but my patience is wearing thin.. and i keep thinking about just cutting it all off...this gives me hope.thanks for this post.

Aggie

Very inspirational YC. Thanks so much for sharing and giving everyone hope who need it. You have certainly shown here that there is always a bright light at the end of a dark tunnel.

drappedup

Wow, I'm loving this thread! /SUBSCRIBE

And your pictorial walk-through is awesome and so easy, especially for hair-challenged newbs like myself. :blush: It's amazing the extent of progress you've had, and your low manipulation hair styles are beautiful.....I especially love the picture of the french braid.....I wish I could do french braids, lol.

My nape hair has been growing big time, though, since I've stopped relaxing. Honestly, it feels like the fasting growing part of my hair. It's gotten quite long and is entering a sort of awkward stage....I'm using bobby pins to secure when I do my buns, and I'm trying to keep it just as moisturized and sealed as the rest of my hair, and I only comb a little after cowashing, just to check for detangling. It also feels much softer these days! Probably because I'm bothering to moisturize it as its own section of hair, lol.....before I was so clueless! >.< But yeah, I will definitely reread through that opening post and keep it in mind for my own nape hair, which I want to continue to grow as it has been. I guess the key really is to basically leave it alone, huh? LOL. Mine is longer than ever now that I don't really ever touch it (before I had flat irons and chemicals running all up through it....BLEH.). Anyway, thanks for the thread! :grin:

BrooklynSouth

Thanks for a regimen with the photos. Your hair looks lovely, full and healthy. You put health before length and you are getting glorious results..Congratulations.