How Long Did it Take you to Grow?

PeaceWithTrees

Hello, this is my first thread, I apologize if it has been done before. I was just curious to know how long did it take for you to reach your hair goal or for you to acheaive your current length.

I have been growing for 2 years and have not reach my goal with my current hair practices. I predict that i can reach my goal in about 3 years upon trying somthing new, like wearing protective styles.

Could you specify if you wear protective styles or not, if you use heat or no heat, relaxers or no relaxers, and cones or no cones.

I currently do not wear prtective styles, use some heat, do not use relaxers, and do not use cones.

Thank you!

asummertyme

Hi, I just wanted to say welcome...I still have yet to reach my goals but then again i havent been concentrating on it until recently...but ur hair looks wonderful..I am sure lots of ladies will chime in to answer ur question...

msa

Welcome!

I haven't reached my length goal yet so I can't really answer your questions.

2themax

Hello, this is my first thread, I apologize if it has been done before. I was just curious to know how long did it take for you to reach your hair goal or for you to acheaive your current length.
1 1/2 yrs (since 5/07 with 2 trims).

I have been growing for 2 years and have not reach my goal with my current hair practices. I predict that i can reach my goal in about 3 years upon trying somthing new, like wearing protective styles.
I have not reached my goal yet either, but I predict that by sometime next year, I'll be closer:yep:

Could you specify if you wear protective styles or not, if you use heat or no heat, relaxers or no relaxers, and cones or no cones.
I "try"to wear protective styles i.e. buns or simply one pony tail/braided....I do use heat, but only when I feel it's necessary. After washing, my hair becomes very coarse, bushy and unmanageable. Therefore, if I have plans, then I will use a heat protectant (if any is available), blow-dry it and then flat-iron it.

I currently do not wear prtective styles, use some heat, do not use relaxers, and do not use cones.
I haven't had my hair relaxed in over 10 years. I've stopped using cones since joining lhcf & reading all the negative things about coning.

Welcome!!

lwilliams1922

I had my last relaxer in the spring of 2006 (I cut it all off over the course of a year). My hair is about 10 inches last time i checked. I GUESS my goal for the moment is MBL but a priority is the health of my hair after so many years of abuse.

What are your goals? It's said that hair grows on ave 6 inches per year. Some are faster some are slower. I'ts only been in the last few months that I came to this board and started learning ways to treat my hair better and acheive growth. It's a learning experience. Protective styles really seem to help

I do wet buns and sometimes twists. I plan to use heat once every 2-3 months. No more relaxers. I just gave up cones and my hair seems to be very happy with the change. I also just found that ACV is something my hair likes.

Some people are fine with cones. My hair is on the dry side and cones made it worst but it really is different for each head of hair.

Welcome!!

Highly Favored8

Hi Newbie and welcome =)

I was down to APL this summer =)
Then Sept. 2008 I went back to SL to make my hair all even. Which now my hair is growing wonderfully.

I relax every 12-16 weeks. I think if I cannot make my hair appointment on 12-2-08 =) then I will not have my Next Relaxer until 3-21-2009 =) that will be 26 weeks post relaxer. My reggie will be K.I.S.S. ( Keep It Simple Sister) If this 26 weeks post goes very well which it will I will not relax until 9-19-09 =) this is my Hair Goal any only to relax twice a year. =) I tell you this lots and lots of scalp massages =)

Lady Esquire

Hey girlie! Welcome. :wave: I was:

a teen weeny afro in Sept 2005
chin length in Feb 2006,
neck length in June 2006,
arm pit length in Oct 2007, (had several setbacks '06 -'07)
bra strap in May 2008

For the first 2 years, I wore protective styles.
In the very beginning I wore braids for the first 4 months, then a wig for the following 8 mths.
Then I was sporting a bun thereafter.

My first goal was to reach BSL. I got super serious about my hair care around May 2007.
Then in late 2007, it all just CLICKED. That is when I started to really get it, and paid real attention.

I attribute the growth retention to stretching, protective styling, and reducing direct heat.
DC'ing has turned the health of my hair around in a major way!

I started wearing my hair out late 07, almost the entire year of '08. But now I am back to protective styling for the entire year of 09 to reach my final goals.

I relax every 3 months. Lately it has been every 6 months, or somewhere between 3 to 6 months.

Last edited: