• BSL

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • MBL

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • WL+

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters

snoop

So I did a tea rinse today using the herbs that were left over from my DIY oil rinse. My hair has been feeling weird after I wash it, in that it feels dry even while I'm in the shower. When I say even when I'm in the shower, I mean I could be in the shower for an hour (literally) and my hair will feel dry as I'm wringing it out. However, my hair can feel moisturized for the rest of the week following.

Anyway, this rinse felt so good on my hair. I didn't have that dry feeling after! I know that oil and water doesn't mix, but these type of rinses tend to feel so good on my hair. Not sure why.

Mapleoats

@Mapleoats how long does it take you to do your mini twists? What kind of parting do you do.
I love the way mini twists look on other people but whenever I try tiger I don’t like the way they turn out. I think I’m bad at parting.
My mom did the twists for me and I helped finish the ends. it took us 6hours but we were chatting. I don't think I'd have the patience to do it by myself lol. just standard square parts. If i had to guess I probably have ~75-100 ish twists.

Last edited:

Mapleoats

Hey ladies! I'm back! It was a really busy summer, but I'm here and finally ready to spend some time with my hair.

My ends need help, but I think that overall my hair is doing well.

I can't remember which challenge I posted this in, but my goal this year was to get my hair back to a similar length as my avatar and now I think my twists are solidly there. Can't wait to see what a twist out would look like. Congrats to @Mapleoats for reaching avatar goals!!!

View attachment 492235 View attachment 492237

@Mapleoats I'm so jealous that you can wear your hair in a bun and braids over night and that they still look straight after. I think I took this picture one night after completing all of my twists. I wore my twists LOOSE under a scar and my hair holds the texture of how I slept on them. They will NOT straighten out unless I moisturize or wash them at which point they will shrink like crazy. (They already started shrinking as I was twisting.)

I'm not sure how far away I am from waist length. In the shower some parts feel like I'm there already, but when I take pictures my waist appears to have relocated. :look: I'm going to guess maybe an inch or so to claim it, but I have to cut an inch so... I don't think I'll get there before the New Year, but I think that I've made great progress this year so I'm really happy.

I think my biggest growth aids were vit D and iron. I plan on maintaining my levels through supplements and more importantly, diet, sleep, and exercise.
I don't braid them at night I band them with large satin scrunchies! It keeps the hair very straight and doesn't introduce any extra texture. When I get lazy and sleep with it in a bun then it will wave up and it takes a few nights of banding to stretch out again. Adding a pic of the scrunchie. I use 2- 3 of these along the length of my pony tail.

IMG_9074.jpeg

Mapleoats

@snoop said Congrats to @Mapleoats for reaching avatar goals!!!

Oh.My.Goodness!!!!

The FULL levity of this accomplishment JUST now hit me. Mapleoats stated it as clear as day but it was lost on me until Snoop mentioned it a second time.

Well done @Mapleoats!
A congratulations from you hair legends @Chicoro @snoop is an honour :love: :2inlove: I need to add a badge to my signature or something cus this is the real milestone:lachen::giggle:

Mapleoats

@Mapleoats ,

What main things do you think contributed to your hair success in 2023, or what do you attribute it to, specifically to the fact that your mini twists are the same length as you straightend, loosened hair was in the past?

I wants to know. I love to ask these kind of questions and get responses from people who have lived the before and after, and have proof of that success. I KNOW I can learn something. Taking notes.

Oooohh good question. Let me think it over while I'm on this flight. Been at the airport all morning. Flight got delayed twice due to the earthquake in Jamaica :angry2:

Mapleoats

Pondering @Chicoro's question: What main things do you think contributed to your hair success in 2023?

I think more than any new tool or technique, the most important thing I've learned this year is how to pay attention to my hair. Trying things out and LISTENING to what my hair is telling me in response.

I thought I loved chelating treatments, but I realized this year that chelating was actually leaving my hair overly dry and brittle. A good clarifying shampoo used when needed is more than enough by to remove hard water mineral build up from my hair.

I thought my hair was just "naturally tangly", but in fact the products and processes I was using was contributing to excessive tangling.

I thought washing my hair too frequently would lead to over manipulation. Well, maybe. But if my hair is a dry tangled mess then leaving it in that state because "it's not wash day yet" is far worse for my hair than washing "too frequently".

ofcourse I have also incorporated new (to me) tools (my revair has my heart forever) and techniques (clay rinsing, stretched styling) these are really a by product of just paying attention to my hair!

Now, I can't claim to have done everything right. For starters I can't remember the last time I trimmed :abducted: (going to try to incorporate @snoop's lunar cycle micro trims and @Lylddlebit 3 step trimming process seasonally) and I think my detangling technique could use some work (again, @Lylddlebit shared great knowledge and tools on this that I soaked up in the healthy ends thread).

But even if I don't make my hair length goal this year, I feel I have gained so much knowledge on my hair care journey that length is inevitable at this point.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Pondering @Chicoro's question: What main things do you think contributed to your hair success in 2023?

I think more than any new tool or technique, the most important thing I've learned this year is how to pay attention to my hair. Trying things out and LISTENING to what my hair is telling me in response.

I thought I loved chelating treatments, but I realized this year that chelating was actually leaving my hair overly dry and brittle. A good clarifying shampoo used when needed is more than enough by to remove hard water mineral build up from my hair.

I thought my hair was just "naturally tangly", but in fact the products and processes I was using was contributing to excessive tangling.

I thought washing my hair too frequently would lead to over manipulation. Well, maybe. But if my hair is a dry tangled mess then leaving it in that state because "it's not wash day yet" is far worse for my hair than washing "too frequently".

ofcourse I have also incorporated new (to me) tools (my revair has my heart forever) and techniques (clay rinsing, stretched styling) these are really a by product of just paying attention to my hair!

Now, I can't claim to have done everything right. For starters I can't remember the last time I trimmed :abducted: (going to try to incorporate @snoop's lunar cycle micro trims and @Lylddlebit 3 step trimming process seasonally) and I think my detangling technique could use some work (again, @Lylddlebit shared great knowledge and tools on this that I soaked up in the healthy ends thread).

But even if I don't make my hair length goal this year, I feel I have gained so much knowledge on my hair care journey that length is inevitable at this point.
Bravo! Isn’t it amazing how the more you learn about your Afro hair, the more you realize you need to learn?! Afro haïr knowledge is profoundly deep.

snoop

Oh man! This post has me me wanting to pull the trigger on a few things:

A thought passed across my mind to buy a Revair in the weekend. Less for me then for the kids' hair. BUT if it's really good I'd try it on mine. I've only heat straightened my hair twice in the past 12 years. Once to press and one blow out. It would be nice to wear my hair stretched more often.

I wanted to try a citric acid rinse. I'm not sure how hard my water is, but maybe there's something to be gained from doing one. I'd love to switch to distilled water washes, but afro hair + ayurvedic masks = a LOT of water.

Lylddlebit

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS POST! It is all about using your knowledge and experiences to hone your head of hair into the crown of glory it has always been capable of. What you're doing has all the markers that you are already there; in terms of luscious beautiful hair. Your hair will continue to thicken and inch right on down to prove it to you!

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

A thought passed across my mind to buy a Revair in the weekend. Less for me then for the kids' hair. BUT if it's really good I'd try it on mine. I've only heat straightened my hair twice in the past 12 years. Once to press and one blow out. It would be nice to wear my hair stretched more often.

I wanted to try a citric acid rinse. I'm not sure how hard my water is, but maybe there's something to be gained from doing one. I'd love to switch to distilled water washes, but afro hair + ayurvedic masks = a LOT of water.
The Revair is FANTASTIC for low manipulation and efficient stretches. Well worth the money and they usually have good sales on Black Friday.

Mapleoats

I agree the revair is such a great and low manipulation way to stretch your hair. Even on the lower heat setting it does great. I got mine on the last day of their holiday/Black Friday sale last year and I am soooo glad I did. Definitely recommend waiting for the holiday deal as it's not cheap especially with the exchange rate and shipping to Canada being what it is but for me it has been so worth it!

If you do give the citric acid rinse a try, let us know how it goes! I've heard some people also just do distilled water as a final rinse after washing with regular tap water, so that might also be an option for you.

snoop

Hi everyone. Know I haven't posted in this thread for a hot second but my hair is doing well. Even though I've been dusting here and there, my length is still hanging on and past where I expected it to be tbh. I'll try and post some photos on my next wash day so yall can see.

I can't wait to see the pics! :pop:

snoop

It's that time of year again!

Winter is coming and it's time for me to switch my outdoor routine. I picked up this tip on the YTubes about 10 years ago and I've been using it ever since. I've never worried about using glycerine in the winter because of it. I also find that on long journeys, it's a great way to steam my LCO products into my hair.

LHCF_Plastic_Oct2023.png LHCF_Plastic_Oct2023_2.png

Mapleoats

After having my hair in twists for a month and regularly moisturizing, my hair was thoroughly coated and my curl definition was poppin when i took the twists out and washed my hair. I don't get this same feeling in my hair when I do weekly washes and it's gotten me thinking... Am I not allowing my hair to be properly moisturized when I wear styles that require more frequent washing? Should I be letting my hair get dirtier before I wash, instead of washing just to refresh the style? Maybe this is a case to introduce cowashing into my regimen or allow my clay washes to stand alone as a gentle cleanser and remove shampoo completely on some washes.

@snoop, I've seen you post about similar experiences with coated hair behaving "nicer". Do you have any thoughts on how this works?

snoop

I think that it depends on the type of oil/butter that you use. I think some oils are just oily, but there's not enough fat in them to give the hair body or substance. Other oils will do that. It's something I'm looking into tangentially because I want to learn more about sebum and hair health in relation to my no poo routine.

So while I wouldn't say that the hair is "dirty", it is coated. And if you can get the right amount of coating or the right kind of coating depending on your product line up, you will end up with that amazing twist out/braid out when you take your hair down to wash it, despite washing it weekly.

Mapleoats

I think that it depends on the type of oil/butter that you use. I think some oils are just oily, but there's not enough fat in them to give the hair body or substance. Other oils will do that. It's something I'm looking into tangentially because I want to learn more about sebum and hair health in relation to my no poo routine.

So while I wouldn't say that the hair is "dirty", it is coated. And if you can get the right amount of coating or the right kind of coating depending on your product line up, you will end up with that amazing twist out/braid out when you take your hair down to wash it, despite washing it weekly.
What are your top oils for achieving a healthy coating?

A few years ago I stopped using oils other than prepoos because the "hair gurus" started peddling the "but OiLs aREnt MoISturiZInG!!!!" Agenda. Meh. I am going to give LCO a try again. That's basically what I was doing to moisturize my twists and baybeeee, let me tell you those twists were MOIST.

Mapleoats

I have a couple of "challenges" lined up for myself that I want to use as a means for hair discovery.

1. low/no brushes and combs challenge. I think over manipulation is a major factor in my breakage. A lightbulb went off in my head when @Chicoro was sharing her eureka moment on this in the Luscious healthy ends thread. I want to see how my hair fares with brushing only ONCE to detangle during wash day and then NO OTHER TOOLS during the styling process.

2. co wash/clay wash (no poo) ONLY challenge. Do I really need to use shampoo every wash? How will my hair respond if I do gentle cleansing for an extended (1-3 months?) time.

3. No gel challenge. I am a lover of gels to style my twists but I do think they can be drying (especially my fave gel - wetline). For a long time I thought I "needed" gel for my hair to lay and hold the style the way I want it. But my hair has been pleasantly surprising my all year, especially when I work with it and not against it.

I prefer to do challenges in isolation so that I can really observe how my hair is responding to the change in regimen. I will cue these up (in this order) when my protective style/ twist challenge is done :)

Side note - I am using one of my passes for the protective style challenge this week. My hair will still be "protected" in a bun, just not in twists!

Chicoro

I have a couple of "challenges" lined up for myself that I want to use as a means for hair discovery.

1. low/no brushes and combs challenge. I think over manipulation is a major factor in my breakage. A lightbulb went off in my head when @Chicoro was sharing her eureka moment on this in the Luscious healthy ends thread. I want to see how my hair fares with brushing only ONCE to detangle during wash day and then NO OTHER TOOLS during the styling process.

2. co wash/clay wash (no poo) ONLY challenge. Do I really need to use shampoo every wash? How will my hair respond if I do gentle cleansing for an extended (1-3 months?) time.

3. No gel challenge. I am a lover of gels to style my twists but I do think they can be drying (especially my fave gel - wetline). For a long time I thought I "needed" gel for my hair to lay and hold the style the way I want it. But my hair has been pleasantly surprising my all year, especially when I work with it and not against it.

I prefer to do challenges in isolation so that I can really observe how my hair is responding to the change in regimen. I will cue these up (in this order) when my protective style/ twist challenge is done :)

Side note - I am using one of my passes for the protective style challenge this week. My hair will still be "protected" in a bun, just not in twists!
I always say, “Growing Afro-textured hair long and healthy is a thinking game, NOT a guessing game”. It requires analysis, assessment and deep thought and understanding.

This here post epitomizes and amplifies this sentiment, perfectly!

@Mapleoats, I know you are going to take notes and photographs to document this journey. I just hope you will come back and share some of the pictures and your observations and conclusions with us!

snoop

What are your top oils for achieving a healthy coating?

A few years ago I stopped using oils other than prepoos because the "hair gurus" started peddling the "but OiLs aREnt MoISturiZInG!!!!" Agenda. Meh. I am going to give LCO a try again. That's basically what I was doing to moisturize my twists and baybeeee, let me tell you those twists were MOIST.

Those hair gurus were out trying to break everyone's hair for a click and a buck. The joke is that those same hair gurus were telling everyone years before that oils aren't moisturizing. I'm sitting back thinking, yeah, but we aren't using it for it's moisture content. (Side note: My other pet peeve is the same group saying that you can't use whatever kitchen ingredient because "the molecules aren't large enough to penetrate the strands". :rolleyes: But the same people are telling you to use gel to create a cast ON your hair. Do want all of our products IN or not?)

Anywayz... :rolleyes:

I'm here for the tallow at the moment. It's my favourite. I buy the DEODORIZED stuff from soapmaking supply companies. (I just checked and the company that I used to buy from doesn't have it listed. :cry3: If it's something that you want to try, I can help you find a Canadian supplier that would carry it.) I use it on my hair and and the kids 3/4, smoother strands hair type. Our hair is soft and shiny. I find it to be conditioning in that it seemed to help improve our hair over time. It also plays nicely with other oils because it's an oil. I need to research the properties more.

I did a deep dive into my past posts to see what oils I was using before that -- I only started tallow in about 2019/20? -- and I was using DIY ayurvedic oils. I had different jars with different oil combinations, but overall I prefer nut oils like macadamia nut and sweet almond oil.

My routine is no poo/low poo (if you count some of the herbals as being a type of "poo"). I also fall into cycles where I actively try to encourage more sebum and then being too lazy to continue. I think that not shampooing and doing a lot of preening in the shower helps with sebum distribution which then helps with the clumping of the hair. I'll try to find some pictures of what my hair looks like clumped. It looks more 4b, but pull a strand and put it in water and that baby coils right back up to pen spring size. So my routine is to either suppliment or not destroy too much of my sebum, distribute it along my strands, and let my hair do it's thing.

I was actually planning to revive one of the old no poo hair threads that I used to participate in.

Last edited:

HealthyHair2020

Retwisted my hair because I decided not to wash it for another week. They’re smaller this time around but looks good. Just used the untie the knot leave in and the design essentials almond and avocado mousse. Twisting on stretched hair is sooo much better. I should do it more often tbh. While twisting, I stretched my hair and it looked to be bra strap length. Will blow my hair out in December so a proper length check can be done since I haven’t done one in forever.IMG_6331.jpegIMG_6340.jpeg

Chicoro

Retwisted my hair because I decided not to wash it for another week. They’re smaller this time around but looks good. Just used the untie the knot leave in and the design essentials almond and avocado mousse. Twisting on stretched hair is sooo much better. I should do it more often tbh. While twisting, I stretched my hair and it looked to be bra strap length. Will blow my hair out in December so a proper length check can be done since I haven’t done one in forever.View attachment 492705View attachment 492707
Twists are super thick, long and beautiful!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Retwisted my hair because I decided not to wash it for another week. They’re smaller this time around but looks good. Just used the untie the knot leave in and the design essentials almond and avocado mousse. Twisting on stretched hair is sooo much better. I should do it more often tbh. While twisting, I stretched my hair and it looked to be bra strap length. Will blow my hair out in December so a proper length check can be done since I haven’t done one in forever.View attachment 492705View attachment 492707
I hope to have twists like this one day! :heart3:

Mapleoats

I was browsing the r/longhair sub on Reddit, and just saw so many gorgeous heads of long hair. As much as I love my kinky/curly hair, sometimes I feel a little envious of those with straight/wavy hair which seems just so much easier to grow long. Aghhh the struggle. I wish I could just wake up with classic length hair.

Mapleoats

An early end of year check in, I'll share more photos later in December when I do my full silk press and probably clean my hemline, but here's a quick update for today.

I washed, DC, blew out and trimmed my hair today. I cut off between 1 and 2 inches, but it was needed because I haven't trimmed im since April. That's 8 months!

it's a good thing for photos otherwise I would be convinced my hair isn't growing. I was disappointed after my trim today thinking I just cut off all my progress this year. Then I took some photos and compared them with earlier photos and that is just categorically false.

First: April 1 2023. Second:Today (after trim)
IMG_7935.jpegIMG_9247.jpeg

side by side comparison:
IMG_7935.jpegIMG_9247.jpeg

I can see that after 1-2inched removed, I'm still atleast 2-3 inches of length gained in 8 months. That is fantastic progress. I'd say I went from just past APL blow out to BSL blow out.

I also have decided I will stop doing the pull test and only measure my hair in terms of its length in blow out. I know that my blow outs now are about 2 inches shrunken of my "true" length, but that's how I have my hair majority of the time anyway so my blown out length is the length I "experience" on a day to day (if that makes sense).

so shifting my goals in terms of blow out, my next milestone is a MBL blow out. That should be another 3inches for me. I hope to claim it by June 2024 :)

Last edited: