• MBL

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • TBL+

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • WL

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
My braids are relaxed and soft. My hair is not quite as wiry as it usually is. I am enjoying my braids this go around. They look the same length as they did in 2022. My hair is back to the length it was in 2020, my second longest length.

Usually I saturate my sections in water, put on glycerine based SCURL and braid and seal ends with Shea butter and tap roots with gel and braid tightly.

No water on length of hair.
No Scurl.
No tight braid.

My hair came out cute.

I am trying to abdicate the throne, and end my reign as the Set-Back Queen. I am trying to stick to my old school products and regimen and not add anything new.

My braids are beautiful and silky and and fall softly against my back.

HairApril13th2024 A.jpegHairApril13th2024 B.jpeg

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
@ItsMeLilLucky ,
You are always rooting, cheering on and supporting everyone else. How did your hair situation resolve? Did you make a decision yet about what you plan to do with your hair?
I love seeing people win! Sometimes its nice to have a cheerleader in your corner.

I straightened it, but then it rained lol so I did a braidout and sweated those curls out :laugh:, It's currently in a ponytail lol I'm about to do my tiny braids again at some point in time.

apple_natural

Finally took my twists out. They came out just fine. I was expecting difficulty separating my hair from the kanekalon but it was very easy. I did put on shea butter before twisting it and that mat have helped. I would put them back in and very well may. For now, I'm putting on my coconut oil and i will wash and henna tomorrow. I will blow it out for a spring trim. I've been eating a salad a day for the past week. It's pretty easy so I'll stick to it. I hope that helps provide nutrients for my hair. I also purchased vitamins. The plan is to take them for the rest of the year at least

Last edited:

apple_natural

Oh no, that's terrible. I hate that for you. Is there anything stopping the hair growth?
I agree with Chicoro. Thanks for the support :D... it's most likely because I will eat a box of cereal for the days meals. I typically get close to zero nutrients. I had the dumbest diet (way of eating). I've been told that I eat like someone impoverished, but I've been eating a salad a day and other veggies for a week so hopefully this is a turn around.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I agree with Chicoro. Thanks for the support :D... it's most likely because I will eat a box of cereal for the days meals. I typically get close to zero nutrients. I had the dumbest diet (way of eating). I've been told that I eat like someone impoverished, but I've been eating a salad a day and other veggies for a week so hopefully this is a turn around.
Yes! This is a great turn around! Just keep it up.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Today someone asked if I was wearing a wig lol I decided to wear a wash and go.

I guess that’s progress even though it looks like I didn’t retain any length
Oooo wee! I love it when people give positive, unsolicited feedback,comments or ask questions that directly or indirectly confirm you are on the right path. I bet your wash and go was so gorgeous! Do you have a picture or two to share? Where’s our Resident Professional Wash and Go-er, the lovely Ms. @GettingKinky who might like to hear about this , too!

MzSwift

I rinsed out the henna and washed my hair with melanin shampoo and dc for a couple hours. What I did not have at the end of the day was broken hair. Its very soft. It feels great!

Melanin DC, you say??? :scratchchin:
Is there a specific one? Sorry, I'm not familiar with hair care brands.

I'm happy to hear your treatment was a success! I'm often curious to see what other ladies follow up their henna txs with.

apple_natural

Melanin DC, you say??? :scratchchin:
Is there a specific one? Sorry, I'm not familiar with hair care brands.

I'm happy to hear your treatment was a success! I'm often curious to see what other ladies follow up their henna txs with.
1000011009.jpg

I don't think everyone washes out their henna, but I did the past couple times and it's been good for me. I wouldn't wash it out with a traditional commercial shampoo, though.

I usually mix my henna with conditioner, such as the Tea Tree Tingle from Trader Joes. This time, since I mixed it with mayonnaise, I did a separate deep condition. It worked out well, I think.

snoop

View attachment 495635

I don't think everyone washes out their henna, but I did the past couple times and it's been good for me. I wouldn't wash it out with a traditional commercial shampoo, though.

I usually mix my henna with conditioner, such as the Tea Tree Tingle from Trader Joes. This time, since I mixed it with mayonnaise, I did a separate deep condition. It worked out well, I think.

When you say you missed it with mayo, do you mean the food or the stuff from the beauty supply store?

Kandygurl

Yall, I thought things were going well… but this weekend, I noticed breakage :( even right now, there’s two short hairs on my phone as I’m typing about two typed ‘i’s (stacked up) long each.

This is incredibly frustrating as I can see progress and breakage at that same time! I really don’t understand. I’ve been bunning the last few days and that’s been easy, but I’m seeing hairs!!! Short curly ones and short straighter ones… now it’s not a lot, but I’m sure it’s breakage because I can see it clearly when I don’t use edge control the hair has grown some, but also looks broken and more coarse on the sides of my head.

I haven’t been oiling or massaging, so maybe that’s it. I have to step my game up. My hair just is not the same as just a year or two ago! :(

Kandygurl

@Kandygurl That's really frustrating.

What has changed in your hair routine and life routine in that time? Maybe you can make baby steps to get back to doing what you used to do?

When last have you had a trim? How much did you take off?

Thank you @snoop, it is frustrating.

I think part of it is that I’ve moved heavily towards edge control in the last few weeks, which I think ultimately has been drying. That’s the thing, my hair has been DRY!
I need to moisturize, so I am stepping things up there and being even more gentle, using water and sealing with Chebe butter, now that I’m back home.

I did a trim back in December and perhaps the breakage is coming from the weak hairs that I should bc. I didn’t take it all off, but mostly went for super raggedy ends… I probably need to trim/cut again, I was just trying to balance growth with trimming/cutting as I would have had a bob otherwise and I didn’t really want that.

Thank you all for the support!

ScorpioLove

I’m very late to this but I’m hoping this thread will help me stay focused on retention that I’ve been lacking for a while. My hair had enough last year around this time and I dealt with extreme breakage from the salon. I knew better but I just didn’t feel the mental energy to deal with my hair on my own. Feeling better now though and been nursing my hair back the past few months

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: recently texlaxed
Current Length: ~50% of strands at bsl
Goal Length: filled in MBL
Plan to reach goal length: deep conditioning and getting better at styling my hair myself; also no more braids/ sew-in unless potentially with a net. Doing hair myself except for 1 special occasion.
Regimen: texlax every 12-16 weeks; dc 1-2x a week; moisturize 3-4x per week; incorporate protein or bond builders weekly
Protective Styles: buns with hair sticks, claw clips
Staple Products: k18 mist/mask, Olaplex 0-3 Pureology shampoo, shea moisturize manuka honey dc, Moroccanoil dc, Camille rose cocoa nibs oil, pureology leave-in, Kenra split end mender
Starting Pic:
Goal is to get to the 8 line

IMG_4545.jpeg