How long should you deep Co with Protein Conditioner?

Blessedhairgro

Hi Ladies!!
I know that when you deep condition with protein your hair gets hard and you have to follow it with a moisturising conditioner. I've noticed that whenever I deep condition with a protein conditioner and I leave it on longer than 20 minutes my hair remains hard even after following it with a very moisturizing conditioner like silk elements moisturizing treatment or nexxus humectress. I deep conditioned last night with ORS mayo for 1 hour under a plastic cap without heat, after rinsing it out I followed it with nexxus humectress. Though my hair was detangled it was stiff and a lot of hairs were in my hand after I added my leave in (salerm 21).

How long a time is too long for protein conditioners like ORS Mayo, Proclaim aloe and shea, etc. to remain on your head? I've also noticed that Redken allsoft heavy cream has protein in it and has the same affect if I leave it in for 30 - 60 minutes.

scorpian

Have you tried doing the protein treatment before you shampoo?
Macherieamour details this in her thread titled "this changes the whole game"
She says to put your protein treatment on dry hair then wrap in a wet towel and plastic cap
I skip the cap cause I use a wet towel and a hair steamer
then shampoo
then moisturizing cond
IMO the results are much better than using protein after shampooing
your hair gets the benefit of protein but rinses soft

CAPlush

I generally do my treatments for about 10-15 minutes with heat. Longer than that, and I get breakage like you. I get good results if the treatment is left in for the time recommended on the package.

camellia

When I use "heavy" protein (Emergencee) I leave it on for 10 minutes with a plastic cap.

For "light" protein (Keraphix) I leave it on for about 45 minutes. I almost always add a little honey and oil to it and my hair never gets really hard. It does feel stronger and sort of wirey after I rinse it out.