How Many of These Did You Use Before Finding Your Holy Grail Product?

vtoodler

How many of the following did you use before you found your holy grail(HG) product, and how long did it take? And what is the name of your HG product for each of the following? Lastly, how did you find out about these products (HG and non-HG)?

If you have not yet found your HG product, please list how many you've tried thus far. Also, if you don't use any of the following (ie--you don't use gel or oils), then leave it blank.

1. Daily moisturizer:

2. Deep conditioner:

3. Moisturizing shampoo:

4. Clarifying/chelating shampoo:

5. Relaxer:

6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light):

7. Leave-in conditioner:

8. Co-wash conditioner:

9. Gel:

10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s) (you may name several for this one):

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
1. Daily moisturizer: Still looking. :nono: Tried about 4 different butters, tons of spray bottle mixtures...I get reallllly close, but I still haven't found "The One"

2. Deep conditioner: Still looking. :nono: I think I may have found my HG with Deva-Curl Heaven in Hair, with Marshmallow Root Powder mixed in...will have to try it again to see. :ohwell:

3. Moisturizing shampoo: I use cleansing conditioners, and my HG's are Wen, Deva-Curl No Poo, and HydraQuench Systems Coconut Lime. I went through Many shampoo's before I realized that my hair actually Hates shampoo

4. Clarifying/chelating shampoo: I use diluted shampoo to clarify...any will do, since I do this very rarely.

5. Relaxer: HG is Linage Shea Butter Texturizer. I've tried 1 other texturizer, and God knows how many other relaxers...this one does me right every time.

6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light):HG is Mega Tek blended with other proteins, and reconstructors. Before this I had only used Aphogee 2 min, and 2 step...both are still great.

7. Leave-in conditioner: Tried about 10 or so of them. and was ready to call Oidad Moisture Lock my HG, but since I started using Tresseme Naturals....that's the hands down winner!

8. Co-wash conditioner: I don't cowash anymore...instead I use co-cleansers. Gets my scalp clean, and no residue. Before this I used Suave Humectant, Shea, and LTR to cowash. I also did shikakai cowashes, and they were pretty great.

9. Gel: HG is AG re:Coil Curl Activator. Hands down winner! Before this I tried 4, but none gave me the perfect curls that AG does...and it blends perfectly with my Tresseme Naturals condish! Moist curls that last all day long!

10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s) (you may name several for this one): Coconut & Castor Oil mix. 4oz Coconut oil, and 2oz Castor Oil, plus a few drops of fragrance oil. I rub it on my scalp and hair before I add conditioner.

Americka

1. Daily moisturizer: 4 - African Pride Olive Miracle - took a chance
2. Deep conditioner: 6 - Skala masques - LHCF
3. Moisturizing shampoo: currently not using one
4. Clarifying shampoo: 7 - ORS Creamy Aloe- used for yrs before hair journey
5. Relaxer: 8 - Africa's Best no lye - took a chance
6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light): 8 - Palmer's Deep Conditioning Coconut Formula Protein Pack - took a chance
7. Leave-in conditioner: 0 - do not use
8. Co-wash conditioner: 10 - Tresemme - recommended by a relative
9. Gel: 2 - Aloe Vera gel - LHCF
10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s): safflower, sunflower, grapeseed, castor

Last edited:

candy626

Daily Moisturizer: When my hair is curly I use LustraSilk Cholesterol as a leave in (it's not technically a moisture based but certainly behaves like a moisturizing product on my locks)

Deep Conditioner: Neutrogena Triple Moisture's Deep Conditioner

Relaxer: I have tried mostly lye based relaxers such as Motions, Optimum, Elasta QP, Revlon, and Silk Elements. Never had breakage from any of them as my hair is super relaxer resistant and will only texlax. I like Silk Elements but will be trying Bantu mild next..

Clarifying Shampoo: Ion Color Defense Clarifying Shampoo

Cowash Conditioner: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration

I have tried so many products...too many to name, so I just posted those few that I really really like.

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
1. Daily moisturizer: I found UBH moisturizer and her other products in 2003 at a Philly event. I didn't purchase her products until 2005. I went through about 3 different moisturizers because it was what everyone else was using. I'm going back to my "HG"and not someone elses HG

2. Deep conditioner: Again UBH Deep Conditioner. I have tried KeraCare, ApHogee, WEN, Hydratherma Naturals (pretty good) but i'm going back to UBH.

3. Moisturizing shampoo: I started using Creme of Nature Detangling Shampoo until they discontinued it. So I used KeraCare detangling shampoo. Since moving towards natural....I used Shampoo soap bars and ayurvedic shampoos. I recently stopped using Kinky Curly and Shea Moisture poo to use UBH Shampoo

4. Clarifying/chelating shampoo: I used ORS Chelating Shampoo and Suave Clarifying Shampoo. I haven't done either in years. :ohwell: Probably since 2008

5. Relaxer: My hairdresser from 2000-2006 used Design Essentials on my head in Mild/Sensitive. Since comin to the hair boards....a lot of LHCF's used Motion Herbal. Then I switched to Avalon (KeraCare brand) when Macherieamour was huge hit. Then I use Hawaiian Silky between stretches.

6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light): I've used so many protein treatment conditioners. The only that has proven to work was UBH Deep Conditioner (heavy) for me. ApHogee ruined my hair in the long run. Cholesterol Conditioner w/ an egg still didn't do anything for me. I have used UBH DP since 2007. I'm going back to using it.

7. Leave-in conditioner: Neutrogena Triple Moisture, KeraCare Leave-In, Lacio Lacio Leave In (a lot of dominican leave ins worked miracles. Kinky Curly Knot Today, Giovanni Direct Leave In.They all are still good. I use Kinky Curly and Giovanni until I run out. But I used dominican leave ins for years. I choose a more silicone-free, organic regimen.

8. Co-wash conditioner: I used a lot of suave for co-washes. Then tresemme and pantene. Just cheap conditioners that provided slip. Now I use silcone-free or cleansing conditioners for co-washes.

9. Gel: I been through JAM!, Fantasia IC, HairVeda Jelly, and that other popular clear gel. Anyways......the safest Gel I choose to use is Aloe Vera Gel. I started using that in April 2012

10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s) (you may name several for this one):
Castor Oil is the best. I've tried many oils. Castor is the best for sealing. Vatika frosting or oil is better for me to condition than regular coconut oil.

longfroinghair

Well I've Lost Count of How many products I've tried, but I'll list what i consider my HG products.

1. Daily moisturizer: S-Curl

2. Deep conditioner: All ORS Conditioners

3. Moisturizing shampoo: Curl Junkie Gentle Cleansing

4. Clarifying/chelating shampoo: ---still looking----

5. Relaxer:

6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light): ---still looking---

7. Leave-in conditioner: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Creme

8. Co-wash conditioner: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

9. Gel: KCCC

10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s) (you may name several for this one): **Coconut Oil** with Shea Butter

Ogoma

I have lost count as well. I went back last year and started totaling my receipts, but quickly stopped because ignorance is bliss. :lol:

I think I have found my HG for most items. Now, it is just narrowing them down to 1 or 2. I am a happy camper.

ETA: the list

1. Daily moisturizer: DB Cocoa Bean Smoothing Cream

2. Deep conditioner: CJ Curl Rehab

3. Moisturizing shampoo: Terressentials LCL

4. Clarifying/chelating shampoo: Terressentials LCL

5. Relaxer: N/A

6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light): CJ Repair Me (medium)

7. Leave-in conditioner: CJ Curl Rehab

8. Co-wash/Rinse-out conditioner: Trader Joe Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Smoothing Conditioner, DB Pumpkin Seed Conditioner

9. Gel/Twist: KMF Upper Management Gel/QB AHTB

10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s) (you may name several for this one): Grapeseed oil, if on sale: meadowfoam seed oil.

Last edited:

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I have lost count as well. I went back last year and started totaling my receipts, but quickly stopped because ignorance is bliss. :lol:

I think I have found my HG for most items. Now, it is just narrowing them down to 1 or 2. I am a happy camper.

I would NEBAH look through my receipts....EVER... :nono: :eek2: :hide:

1. Daily moisturizer: I think it was 3. Now it's Oyin Handmade's Hair Dew.

2. Deep conditioner: Only one. Silk Elements Mega Silk Moisturizing Treatment; however, that may change as I've been using this since I was relaxed. I'm open to seeking another.

3. Moisturizing shampoo: 2 or 3 I believe. I now use Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo

4. Clarifying/chelating shampoo: 2. Now it's Giovanni 50:50 Shampoo

5. Relaxer:

6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light): 2. Henna. I use this once or twice a year, though.

7. Leave-in conditioner: 3. Now I use Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Milk

8. Co-wash conditioner: 7. Now I use Suave Almond and Shea Butter conditioner

9. Gel: 2. Now I use Ecostyler Gel - Argan Oil

10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s) (you may name several for this one): Shea Butter alone ( :nono: ), Jojoba ( :ohwell: ), Avocado ( :yep: ), Rosemary ( :yep: ), Peppermint ( :yep: ), EVOO ( :grin:), and Coconut :)lick: )

leona2025

I'm going to just list my Holy Grails. I've tried too many to remember.

1. Daily moisturizer: I prefer Elasta QP one for some reason. I used it with a spritz I made which is 1/4 lacio lacio and 3/4 water:look:.

2. Deep conditioner: My Holy Grail is Organic Root Stimulator Hairepair Nourishing Conditioner.

3. Moisturizing shampoo: Creme of Nature Kiwi & Citrus Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo and Sunflower & Coconut Detangling Conditioning Shampoo:lick::lick:

4. Clarifying/chelating shampoo: ORS Aloe Shampoo

5. Relaxer: HG - ORS No Lye

6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light): heavy - Duo Tex medium/light: Aphogee 2 minute and Nutress Protein Pack Conditioner

7. Leave-in conditioner: Creme of Nature Lemongrass & Rosemary Leave-In Creme Conditioner

8. Co-wash conditioner: Herbal Essence Hello Hydration

9. Gel: When I have straight hair I use Ecostyler Argon Oil Gel and on wet hair to create waves I use IC Fantasia Gel

10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s) (you may name several for this one) I don't use any oils.

PJaye

Daily Moisturizer:
Eight. To address my dry hair issues, I turned to a suggestion offered in a thread to another poster - Qhemet’s AOHC and BRBC mixed with OHHB, which effectively solved my problem. However, what I really needed was a liquid refresher-type of product. So, after sampling Oyin’s Juices and Berries to no avail, I opted to use a concoction of distilled water with a small amount of oil and conditioner. Epic fail; my hair felt nasty and coated. I kept reformulating the mixture using smaller amounts of oil, no oil and different conditioners with no success. Next, I tried distilled water and a small amount of essential oils followed by a creamy leave-in (Oyin’s Hair Dew but the smell forced me to replace it with DB Transitioning Cream). Instant success!

Deep Conditioner:
In the neighborhood of thirty (and I’m being conservative) – from cholesterols to Dominican products, to the ones hyped in various threads. After a while, I stop chasing the products and began searching for the ingredients I knew my hair liked (e.g., those with no or low protein/hidden protein content, lots of emollients and oils, and no heavy butters). My current staples are Hairveda Sitrinillah, Nairobi Humecta-Sil, ORS Replenishing, Kenra MC, and Shescentit Avocado and Banana Brulee.

Moisturizing Shampoo:
One, then four tries. I was fortunate to find my staple shampoo on the very first try (Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo). Unfortunately, since it’s been reformulated, it has sent me back to the drawing board. I am currently using Elucence Moisture Benefits, which is a good substitute since it’s highly concentrated, moisturizing, keeps my hair soft and allows me to detangle while rinsing (after having little success with Keracare Hydrating and Detangling, CON Argan Oil, and the new formula of Elasta).

Clarifying/Chelating Shampoo:
Three. First, I tried ORS Creamy Aloe (but 12oz is not enough product for a bulk purchaser like me), then settled with Quantum’s Clarifying Shampoo for a few years (couldn’t hack the protein content) before finding Elucence Acidifying Shampoo (which is highly concentrated and effective without the dryness).

Relaxer:
N/A (Although when I would do my neighbor’s hair, I used Profectiv No-Lye and her hair went from a chewed up EL to a full, bouncy APL in three years).

Protein Treatment:
Three. My first foray into protein treatments was with the Aphogee 2-Step, which was a horrendously smelly ordeal. The next thing I sampled was the Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor and it was a staple for years until it was edged out by Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (great ingredients without the stiff, I-just-had-a-protein-treatment feel).

Leave-in Conditioner:
Fourteen. I’ve sampled KCKT (drying), Rusk Sensories Smoother (protein overload), Shescentit Coco Cream (protein overload plus coating and stiffness from the shea butter), Hairveda Whipped Cream and Bizzy Izzy (dry, nasty mc-dry), Roux Fermodyl 619 Treatment (meh), Lacio Lacio (blah unless straightening, which I don't do very often), Mozeke Kokum Hair Milk (dry, matted dreds), Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion (felt really great going on, but the next day my hair felt like the Sahara Desert), Jessicurl WDT and Too Shea (these would work really well if they had protein and shea butter free formulas because the softness and slip they produced was absolutely unreal; they sucked as DCs) and As I Am Naturally Leave-in (pretty good) before happening upon DB Peach Kernel (subpar unless I add oils) and DB Daily Leave-in (exceptional all on its own!). My current staple is the DB Daily.

Co-wash Conditioner:
At least twenty - from the cheapies to the ones with natural ingredients, to the ones full of silicones and even As I Am Naturally Coconut CoWash (which was pretty decent, but I couldn’t take the awkwardness of digging my hands into a tub while showering). For me, the best co-washing conditioner is a less concentrated DC because the only ones that gave decent results are Yes to Carrots, Elasta QP Intense and diluted Kenra MC.

Gel:
Four. I tried Beyond the Zone Noodle Head, Sunsilk Captivating Curls, the white Ecostyler and Hairveda’s Whipped Gelly before calling it quits. Since I never wear WNGs, I don’t see the point of using this type of product.

Sealant:
Five. The first oil I sampled was EVOO (which left me with dry, frizzy hair), before trying EVCO (same results, only faster), avocado (dry hair again), and castor. Although this produced softness and shine, it made my hair feel somewhat stiff). After revisiting my pre-LHCF staple, John Frieda serum, I decided to mix other oils with castor oil in order to make the perfect sealant. I am currently using a mixture of castor, JBCO, almond, argan, hemp seed, macadamia and pumpkin.

Conditioning Oils:
Two missteps. After my experiences with castor oil, I swan dived into the wonderful world of oils. The only ones to produce a negative reaction since EVOO, EVCO, avocado and neat castor are wheat germ and walnut. I currently use almond, apricot kernel, argan, babassu, camellia seed, flax seed, hemp seed, grapeseed, JBCO, rice bran, sesame, safflower and sunflower along with rosemary, clary sage, and bergamot essential oils.

All my information came from diligent searching through LHCF threads because this is the only hair board I belong to and I hate watching YouTube or any other videos and reading people’s blogs. HTH.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Daily Moisturizer:
So, after sampling Oyin’s Juices and Berries to no avail, I opted to use a concoction of distilled water with a small amount of oil and conditioner. Epic fail; my hair felt nasty and coated. I kept reformulating the mixture using smaller amounts of oil, no oil and different conditioners with no success. Next, I tried distilled water and a small amount of essential oils followed by a creamy leave-in (Oyin’s Hair Dew but the smell forced me to replace it with DB Transitioning Cream). Instant success!

PJaye, our hair sounds exactly the same. I have tried the same things you have tried with the exception of Oyin's products. I was looking at the Oyin products and may give them a try. For now, I will spritz my hair and use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa as a leave in until I find something better. I don't want to buy anything yet. What essential oils do you use in your mixture?

PJaye

@PJaye, our hair sounds exactly the same. I have tried the same things you have tried with the exception of Oyin's products. I was looking at the Oyin products and may give them a try. For now, I will spritz my hair and use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa as a leave in until I find something better. I don't want to buy anything yet. What essential oils do you use in your mixture?

Arian

I add a teaspoon of rosemary and clary sage to my 20oz water bottle.

On a side note, if you ever encounter a leave-in that doesn’t perform well on your wet, freshly washed hair, give it another try on dampened, refreshed hair. Although the Transitioning Cream and Hair Dew sucked on my wet hair, they’re outstanding after a good spritzing (if Oyin ever changes the fragrance, I would purchase that stuff by the gallon).

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
@Arian

I add a teaspoon of rosemary and clary sage to my 20oz water bottle.

On a side note, if you ever encounter a leave-in that doesn’t perform well on your wet, freshly washed hair, give it another try on dampened, refreshed hair. Although the Transitioning Cream and Hair Dew sucked on my wet hair, they’re outstanding after a good spritzing (if Oyin ever changes the fragrance, I would purchase that stuff by the gallon).

Thank you so much for the tips! I'm really having a hard time with leave ins and moisturizers.

Anavrin

Great thread OP

Im a noob so bear with me. Also, Ive used countless numbers of conditioners and moisturizers.

1. Daily moisturizer: Havent found one. Theres a couple I want to try but I havent gotten around to getting them.

2. Deep conditioner: Dove Intensive Therapy

3. Moisturizing shampoo: I still have an original bottle of Pink Moisturizing Shampoo, so i use that. :lol:

4. Clarifying/chelating shampoo: Head and Shoulders with Almond Oil for some reason works magnificently.

5. Relaxer: Mizani.

6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light): Still need to find that one.

7. Leave-in conditioner: See 2

8. Co-wash conditioner: See 2

9. Gel: HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA No.

10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s) (you may name several for this one): I might get yelled at for this one, but I use my tanning oil to seal. It smells heavenly. This is the only oil ive ever used.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I am no longer a PJ. >> old PJ stash
I have all of my staples. :yep:

1. Daily moisturizer: Diluted oyin dew / AVJ

2. Deep conditioner: Kenra MC / AOHSR

3. Moisturizing shampoo: Elasta QP Creme conditioning

4. Clarifying/chelating shampoo: Quantum Clarifying shampoo

5. Relaxer: N/A

6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light): Joico reconstructor

7. Leave-in conditioner: Diluted Kenra MC

8. Co-wash conditioner: VO5 MM / Mane n Tail

9. Gel: N/A

10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s) (you may name several for this one): JBCO.. Oyin Pomade.. Apricot Kernel oil.. Hemp Seed oil.. Crisco oil ....other oils: Peppermint oil..Tea tree oil

Last edited:

Curlykutie

. Daily moisturizer: Qhements Amla and Olive heavy cream

2. Deep conditioner:AOWC or AOHSR

3. Moisturizing shampoo:Homemade Black Soap Shampool

4. Clarifying/chelating shampoo: Suave's Juicy Green Apple

5. Relaxer:n/a

6. Protein treatment (heavy, medium or light):AOGPB and Apoghee

7. Leave-in conditioner:Kinky Curly Knot Today

8. Co-wash conditioner:VO5 and Aussie Moist

9. Gel:Flaxseed
10. Sealing and/or conditioning oil(s) (you may name several for this one): Coconut, Black Castor Oil, Olive Oil and Jojoba oil