• Once every other week.

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • Once a month.

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Once every 6-8 weeks.

Votes: 32 11.2%
  • Once every 12 weeks.

Votes: 38 13.3%
  • Only for a specific reason/event (e.g., need a cut, going to a wedding, etc.)

Votes: 80 28.1%
  • Never - I am completely self-styled!

Votes: 80 28.1%

• Total voters
A

AmilLion

I found a Dominican girl that did my hair great. OMG. My hair loved her hands. She was soo gentle, massaged my scalp, used the steamer on me, was delicate when roller setting my hair and etc. Then one day she vanished! :(
I would go to her weekly, (every Saturday morning), but now I have to fend for myself.

I've been washing and roller setting my hair myself. I only go for touch-ups now.

Kalani

I found a Dominican girl that did my hair great. OMG. My hair loved her hands. She was soo gentle, massaged my scalp, used the steamer on me, was delicate when roller setting my hair and etc. Then one day she vanished! :(
I would go to her weekly, (every Saturday morning), but now I have to fend for myself.

I've been washing and roller setting my hair myself. I only go for touch-ups now.

This is similar to my story! I had a great Dominican stylist who had been doing my hair since I was 14. She could read my hair like a book and know exactly what it needed and when. She was also one of the few people who could handle my unique head of multi-textured hair and style it into perfection! Well, eventually she switched careers and stopped doing hair. I went to a number of salons trying to find someone new and each experience was more disappointing then the next. :sad:

Now my mom does my relaxers and trims for me and surpringly does a great job! Since she started doing my hair I haven't stepped foot into another salon (which has been about 3 years).

SpyCats

I'm a DIY'er, I don't think i've been to a salon in 12 years. I try to do everything on my own (I can't do braids with extensions...yet) including trims.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I've sworn of salons!
Im cheap, my hair wasnt going anywhere when I did go (though styled nicely), and ever since I've been getting better with my flat iron I really like doing things myself.

Well.........not around 10 weeks post and after? That's a battlefield for sure.:nono:

shortt29

I go every Saturday. I prepoo at home and go to the salon with the prepoo in my hair. I also bring my own products and the use them how I want them to use them.

naturalmanenyc

At least once every 2 weeks, sometimes each week, but that was before my long time stylist retired and moved out of state. I had to fend for myself for a few months and then stumbled onto a new friend who did my most recent texlax. She is getting married and moving in a few months so I need to learn fast.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Right now, I go once a month to get it flat ironed to check my length. Right now, I can't flat iron as well as the stylists, but I'm workin' on it. I hope to be totally self-sufficient very soon.

Since being natural I do my own hair because it is very hard finding a good natural salon. And whenever I go to one the results are.... well just as good as what I could've done at home.

syze6

I go ever other week. It's what I consider my treat to myself!

I'm rethinking after my bad experience yesterday. I went to get a shampoo and rollerset. The girl prepped me for the set and when it dried, it was nice and crispy. I normally get a rollerwrap but I declined the wrapping part because, that paddle brush would have torn my hair to pieces because of the crispiness. I thought it would soften up enough for me to wrap it myself. I tried it, and piece were just falling. I don't want to rewash my hair, but I'm afraid to comb through it.

Last edited:

PureSilver

I only go to the salon to get my weaves done because i'm too lazy to do it myself and they last from 4-6 wks, I get my perms at the salon too but i usually stretch from 4-5mths at a time. I plan to go to the salon only 4/5 times for this year.

I've become more confident and comfortable in handling and taking care of my own hair. I hope one day i can totally eliminate the need for a salon visit.

Spongie Bloom

i would love to have the option to go to a good salon and get my relaxer done or just get a wash and rollerset or even a flat iron once in a while but if i go id run out looking like this :burning: i wish there was a good salon where i live shoot, id :poledancer:for a good salon but as it stands im probably never going to go to a salon

_belle

I DON'T, I was anti-salon LONG before LHCF, and my mother keeps tryin to make me go. . . only times I have been is for my mircos (in like the last 3 years or so). . . their prices, their waits, their ethnband their techniques keep me out. . . i might start goin to a dominican salon to get my roots blown out if I decide/can stretch for extended periods.

Last edited:

malibu4590

I voted "Never" (again)...

I got micro's twice (in 2002 and 2005) and they recked havoc on my hair. $125 x 2 down the drain.

I got cornrows from a braider who braided my hair so tight I lost an inch of hair across my entire hairline.

Used to frequent the salons at least once a month from age 7-15. Never got past shoulder length.

Though my mom hooks me up with my touch-ups and does my sew-ins, my salon is my home and I am my own best shampoo girl, trimmer, and stylist.

NYLegalNewbie

Approximately 5 times a year. I stretch my relaxers for 10 weeks and then go to the salon for a touch up.

Just went today, and AHHH!!!! Just beautiful! :grin: