How Often Do You Wash Your Combs and Brushes?

How Often Do You Wash Your Brushes and Combs?

• Every day

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Once a Week

Votes: 35 47.9%
  • Once a Month

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Less than Once a Month

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 15 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KurlyNinja

I just wanted to know how often everybody washes out their combs and brushes and how do you go about doing it? I'm tired of going through boar bristle brushes because every time I clean it some of the bristles fall out. :ohwell:

Vintageglam

Putting them to soak right now in some soapy water and will submerge them in alcohol later. Thanks for the reminder !

ms.blue

I wash my combs once a month b/c I only comb my hair on wash days now that I'm natural. When I was relaxed I washed my combs/brushes every two weeks.
Miryoku try soaking your brush in a cup with diluted shampoo over night and in the morning rinse the brush under the faucet using a comb and it should clean the brush w/o losing the bristles.

LilMissRed

I voted 1x per week.. normally when I co wash during the week I rinse them out.. I wash them out when I use shampoo or just whenever I notice anything in them other than hair :yep:

IrisDaVirus

I soak my combs in bleach about once a week. Plus I rinse them thoroughly in hot water after I use them. I don't use brushes.

prettybyrd

Iris, you use bleach on your combs? :blush: I kinda startled when I read that. I would be afraid that I would not rinse it out enough and do damage to my hair. Be careful with bleach, girl!

I just wash my combs and brushes with a cheap clarifying shampoo to get all the oil off. I do that on wash day.

melissa-bee

I wash mine every time i wash my hair, which is like every 10-14 days. I just use some shampoo and scrub my comb and brush with a toothbrush.

lesedi

All is well with me
After I deep condition (once or twice a week) I wash them but i don't think they NEED to be washed as often as that. I only do it cause I comb the DC through my hair but the combs aren't dirty (funk,dust etc) per se. I only use hot water or whatever shampoo is in front of me to do it also.

Nonie

I use combs once in a blue moon, and I use them in the shower when I do use them. So my combs get washed EVERY time they get used. I don't use products on my hair during the time I'm not using them. so the only time stuff gets on my comb is during my wash, and I can't leave shampoo or conditioner on the comb so I wash them clean before putting them away, and yes they get rinsed before being used a year or so later...again in the shower.

When wearing my hair out, I do comb my hair with S Curl on it. But I rinse the comb after coz I don't like the juice going on my furniture. So again, after every use.

Harina

Um... never. :look:

I don't think I've ever washed a comb deliberately. I guess just using them in the shower and pulling out the loose hairs is sufficient for me.

My boar bristle brush, I've never cleaned. I don't really use it that often. Typically, just for my edges. Maybe that's why my hair is so dry *shrugs*. After reading this thread, maybe I should start cleaning things more often.

belldandy

I dont use brushes. I use my comb in the shower, under running water so that is the only way my comb gets cleaned. LMAO.

HeChangedMyName

I wash mine when I wash my hair which is once a week, but if they need it in between, then i'll wash them. Usually it's due to the product from my DD hair, since i have minimized putting much of anything on my hair other than my leave in, which I apply on wash day.

AlliCat

I only wash my combs if I found out someone else was using them :look:
otherwise its once a month or if I see physical buildup

PuddingPop

Um... never. :look:

I don't think I've ever washed a comb deliberately. I guess just using them in the shower and pulling out the loose hairs is sufficient for me.

My boar bristle brush, I've never cleaned. I don't really use it that often. Typically, just for my edges. Maybe that's why my hair is so dry *shrugs*. After reading this thread, maybe I should start cleaning things more often.

I rarely wash my combs and brushes either. Maybe that why im bald headed :lachen::lachen::lachen:.
I only rinse them off after detangling w/ conditioner or relaxing. I never make a concerted effort to gather them all up and soak them in soap and water.

JustKiya

I wash mine every time I use them, because usually, the only time I'm using them is in the shower when I DC/detangle my hair - so, I wash off the stuff that gets on it, using the same cleaning stuff as I used to clean my hair.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i use old shampoo and wash brushes once a month and combs about once a week.

OP...i am wondering what kind of brushes you have.

i literally have the same boar bristle brush since i was like 5 years old. (you know the one my mom used to beat my hair into submission. LOL!) i "recently" bought a round brush boar bristle that is 10 years old. both those brushes have all the bristles in tact.

maybe you want to consider a different brand? hopefully it will last longer?

LaFemmeNaturelle

I NEVER wash my combs and I very RARELY wash my brushes. Maybe like twice a year...I rinse them after every use but actually letting them soak in shampoo is a rare thing for me..oh well lol

curlyninjagirl

I voted once a month, cuz that's about how often I remember to do it.

I'm sorry Iris, I gotta say this...I tried not to, but I gotta: Unless you're combing hairs that AREN'T on your head, it's NOT that serious.

You gotta quit that bleach. :burning:

Seriously, when I read that, it made me shiver. :nono:

longhairlover

I don't really clean my combs, I do rollersets and I am constantly rinsing them so they are clean, and I don't use products that buildup in my combs. so they are pretty clean.

my brushes i'll go through them once in a while and clean the hair out with a rattail comb then wash with a clarifying shampoo let it dry on a towel or paper towels.

most of my tools are very clean though without alot of hair in my brushes.

I have been thinking about getting a barbicide jar with barbecide just to keep my stuff super duper clean even though i'm the only one using them.....I just want a barbecide jar lol!

empressri

I just rinse my combs and denman off right after using.

Since my mason pearson gets used on straight hair, that gets used after my hair is done being straight and I'm back to curly.

SmilingElephant

......:look:

I need to wash my brushes....i'm always using my wide tooth comb the majority of the time and always forget about my brushes....but when i do remember..its once a month. My comb gets cleaned everytime i co-wash/wash.

SmilingElephant

I just rinse my combs and denman off right after using.

Since my mason pearson gets used on straight hair, that gets used after my hair is done being straight and I'm back to curly.

Okay...what Mason Pearson brush do you have?...Because i'm thinkin about gettin one....and where did you purchase it....and do you like it? Does it snag your hair?:spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::grin:

I need a new brush to use when i blowdry/ flat iron my hair....something good to blowdry with mainly and use it to smooth my hair down when styling....that doesn't snag so much...that Conair paddle brush i got needs to retire:perplexed

katblack

Pretty much right after it's been used. I don't really use styling tools that often so, it's best cleaned right away.

LushLox

I wash my combs once a week as I wash and DC my hair, I used to use shampoo to clean them but then I got paranoid that I wouldn't rinse them properly and traces of shampoo would be left in the comb. So I just use conditioner to wash them.

I never use brushes.