Boar Bristle Brushes - Purpose and Proper Usage?

renee_n_3000

I just did a search on this and didn't find quite the info I was looking for, so I hope someone can help.

There is a big sale on boar bristle brushes in my area this week, so I am tempted to buy one. The problem is that when I've tried to use them in the past, they don't seem to do anything to my hair! The bristles just sit on top of my hair, they don't penetrate through to my scalp to massage it and distribute the natural oils the way my brushes with plastic brushes do. I've also tried the brushes with a mixture of boar and plastic bristles, and the boar bristles just prevent the plastic bristles from penetrating and doing their job.

Am I doing something wrong when I try to use these brushes? These are the only type of brushes my sister buys for her and my nieces. Every time we visit each other and my nieces ask me to do their hair, I try to use their brushes on them and they don't seem to work on their hair either.

CaramelKiss

There was a thread about this. Lemme see if I can bump it for u, but I only use a boar bristle when I want to smooth my hair, like into a ponytail or something. I don't use it to brush out my hair because if your're not careful it can pull some hairs out. When I use it to massage my scalp I do it in sections.

renee_n_3000

Thanks for the info and the bump, CaramelKiss. I guess I won't buy a boar bristle brush since I'm happy with my other ones. It's just so tempting with such a great sale.

Victorian

old head
Re: Boar Bristle Brushes - Purpose and Proper Usag

I don't use my boar bristle brush to get down to the scalp. I just use it for the express purpose of smoothing my "top" hair when I'm pulling it back. It's really good for that
I do have a regular old conair brush for general brushing but I haven't been using it lately since I have so much new growth.