How Quickly Does Your Hair Become Unbalanced (Protein/Moisture)

Good morning, ladies

I had some problems oh, say 6 weeks ago where I had an allergic reaction to AOHR conditioner. For about a month, to let my scalp get back to normal, I did nothing but condition with Suave Humectant or OSR Replenishing conditioners and moisturize with water, seal with jojoba oil at night. Then I relaxed at 8 weeks (didn't want to stretch while not using any products to help)

Alright....a few days before my relaxer I noticed tiny broken hairs and that my hair felt limp all the time. My hair has always been perfectly balanced before so I did not recognize moisture overload. I got the relaxer and the stylist used Vitale Pro products.

The next day my hair was bone dry, like the wind was lifting the strands and making them stand straight up. Even the parts that the relaxer did not touch (I coated the ends with vaseline). I moisturized and sealed the hell out of that junk (now using a 1:4 mixture of glycerin and softened water plus a couple of drops of avocado oil in a spray bottle to moisturize and sticking with jojoba to seal). I also baggied. The hair just refused to retain any moisture and was still breaking, worse now.

So I did a strand test and came up with the idea I was lacking protein AND moisture. I did an avocado oil prepoo, washed with my new Free and Clear shampoo (my hair was a lil too squeaky for my taste but I saw no ill effects), did an Aphogee 2 minute but I left it on for 5 minutes, followed with the ORS DC (I know this has a tiny bit of protein in it, but it's mainly moisturizing for me).

My hair was great for a couple days after that. I baggied a couple of times for 4 hours to make sure I replenished the moisture. After the second baggying, I noticed my hair was back to WAY limp, VERY stretchy. Then a day later, those tiny broken hairs again.

I thought I was od'ing on moisture again, so on Friday I repeated the Aphogee for 5 minutes - I mean, who actually manages to get that stuff in section by section in 2 minutes, I take my hat off to you - and I followed with Free and Clear conditioner (still trying to avoid too many products and chemicals, especially those with synthetic fragrance) instead of the ORS which I thought might be too moisturizing. I used my glycerin/water/avocado oil leave-in and sealed with jojoba.

The next day my hair was breaking big time and again, bone dry with the wind picking up the strands so I look like a lightning rod.

WHAT GIVES??? Why is my hair swinging so wildly all over the place? My hair is not porous either (did the glass of water test). How come my hair goes from mushy to dry and breaking in just a day or an afternoon? Does this happen to anyone else?

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I've learned the hard way that my natural hair will get Very funky on me without regular protein treatments. I do a hard protein weekly, and that keeps my hair super happy. Without the regular protein treatments, I was getting SSK's and ugly ends all over the place. :nono: I know it's time to protein when my ends start feeling frizzy, and hard. I can't go more than a week without the protein... :ohwell:

irisak

My hair was the same way. Especially becaause I decided I was protein sensitive and only used moisturizing conditioners for six months straight. About 3 weeks ago I did a hard aphogee two step and even before I added moisture my hair felt like silk. It sounds like you need a hard protein treatment.

FlawedBeauty

princezzLeia Sounds like baggying may be part of your problem, my hair hates it. I would try a hard protien treatmen since your hair is like mush. Aphogee two step is great. It might take some time for the hair to bounce bag but I would try to give the baggying a rest for a while. Do you self relax? If so, next time you relax (if you dont do this already) try adding back protein before the neutralizing process. Usually I rinse the relaxer then follow with the Aphogee two minute reconstructer, rinse, then follow with the neutralizing shampoo. I only recently started doing this and it makes a world of difference.

Here's a few questions that may better help identify the problem:

How often do you wash?
How often do you dc and with what?
What shampoo/conditioner do you use?
What do you use to moisturize and seal, and how often?
How do you style your hair everyday?
How much heat are you using?

princezzLeia Sounds like baggying may be part of your problem, my hair hates it. I would try a hard protien treatmen since your hair is like mush. Aphogee two step is great. It might take some time for the hair to bounce bag but I would try to give the baggying a rest for a while. Do you self relax? If so, next time you relax (if you dont do this already) try adding back protein before the neutralizing process. Usually I rinse the relaxer then follow with the Aphogee two minute reconstructer, rinse, then follow with the neutralizing shampoo. I only recently started doing this and it makes a world of difference.

Here's a few questions that may better help identify the problem:

How often do you wash?
How often do you dc and with what?
What shampoo/conditioner do you use?
What do you use to moisturize and seal, and how often?
How do you style your hair everyday?
How much heat are you using?

Oh wow, I am still new to this. I thought baggying was universally good :grin: Thanks for telling me. Come to think of it, I hardly ever did it back when my hair was balanced. I thought it would help with the brittleness.

So you guys are saying my hair could be brittle and mushy at the same time or alternating days dbc it needs protein??? Iris, I haven't used any protein in a couple months either, not since my last relaxer. I thought I was protein sensitive too. Lol.

So the Aphogee 2 minute isn't enough even if I leave it in a longer time? I only have the 2 minute here right now and none of the stores are open, so I will do the 2 step for my mid-week wash. Thanks for the suggestion! Protein gets such a bad rap. You always see the word "ugh" following any mention of protein around here. I was trying to be so careful to avoid protein overload :nono:

Mrs Jai, I had read somewhere that natural hair doesn't really need protein since it's not damaged by chemicals so your story is interesting, wow! I am getting a lot of SSKs too so maybe this will help. My hair is relaxed but not bone straight.

I don't self-relax but I'll talk to my stylist next time (she's my friend from church) and let her know to do the protein step, thanks FB

Here is my new routine:

Sundays
- avocado hot oil treatment
- Free and clear shampoo
- aphogee 2 minute
- ORS replenishing DC
- water/glycerin/avocado oil spray leave-in
- seal with jojoba

Wednesdays (no poo)
- ORS replenishing DC
- seal with jojoba

Moisturize and seal every night as well

How often do you guys think I should do the hard protein? MrsJai, what hard protein are you using? The Aphogee 2-step?

Everyone, you've been so much help already. I really appreciate you.

-L-

FlawedBeauty

princezzLeia said:
Oh wow, I am still new to this. I thought baggying was universally good :grin: Thanks for telling me. Come to think of it, I hardly ever did it back when my hair was balanced. I thought it would help with the brittleness.

So you guys are saying my hair could be brittle and mushy at the same time or alternating days dbc it needs protein??? Iris, I haven't used any protein in a couple months either, not since my last relaxer. I thought I was protein sensitive too. Lol.

So the Aphogee 2 minute isn't enough even if I leave it in a longer time? I only have the 2 minute here right now and none of the stores are open, so I will do the 2 step for my mid-week wash. Thanks for the suggestion! Protein gets such a bad rap. You always see the word "ugh" following any mention of protein around here. I was trying to be so careful to avoid protein overload :nono:

Mrs Jai, I had read somewhere that natural hair doesn't really need protein since it's not damaged by chemicals so your story is interesting, wow! I am getting a lot of SSKs too so maybe this will help. My hair is relaxed but not bone straight.

I don't self-relax but I'll talk to my stylist next time (she's my friend from church) and let her know to do the protein step, thanks FB

Here is my new routine:

Sundays
- avocado hot oil treatment
- Free and clear shampoo
- aphogee 2 minute
- ORS replenishing DC
- seal with jojoba

Wednesdays (no poo)
- ORS replenishing DC
- seal with jojoba

Moisturize and seal every night as well

How often do you guys think I should do the hard protein? MrsJai, what hard protein are you using? The Aphogee 2-step?

-L-

The aphogee two step I would not use more than once a month. Only when your hair really needs it. I like the ors replenishing as well but it may be making your hair too soft. Try cutting down on the useage of the orws. How does your hair feel when it is dry. Does it feel soft or is it brittle and dry? Also, how do you dry your hair and how often do you manipulate the hair (comb/brush/flat iron, etc).

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light

Mrs Jai, I had read somewhere that natural hair doesn't really need protein since it's not damaged by chemicals so your story is interesting, wow! I am getting a lot of SSKs too so maybe this will help. My hair is relaxed but not bone straight. l

-L-

I think that "may" only apply to the natural 4's. I'm a 3a/b, and once I went natural I learned that my hair demands regular protein. I use a Mega Tek mix (MT mixed with other hard proteins, moisturizing conditioner, and Neem Oil) on my hair once a week. I usually apply it before bed, baggy, and DC overnight with it. Then I cowash the next day. Currently I'm on a No Poo regimen, and only cowash with Deva-Curl, and Wen. Because my products are so moisturizing, the weekly protein works well for me...no dry crunchy hair, unless I'm being lazy and don't twist it up that night.

Thanks, MrsJai

FB, sorry I forgot that question. I only airdry. No heat except for deep conditioning under a heat cap.

I comb maybe every other day. I have recently given up brushing but I only used to do that to my edges.

The breakage I've noticed is that just moisturizing and sealing my hair, my hands were coming away with little bits of hair, which has never happened to me before. I have only had shedding since beginning my journey in December.

When my hair is dry - as of the last couple of weeks either I'm mushy (the way this feels is that my hair is just TOO manageable) or I'm brittle and staticy like something that was in the dryer without Bounce :lachen:

I wanted to cut back on the ORS for now too (although I used to use it weekly in the past with no problems but that's when I as doing the Aphogee 2 minute weekly as well). So I tried following the protein with the Free and Clear rinse out conditioner on Friday evening and that left me a hot brittle mess.

:sad:

Aviah

I think I'm realizing more and more that my hair needs more protein than I thought. When I first BC'd I did moisture only for a good while. Let me tell you, that, combined with infrequent dustings and trims led to a lot of splits and holes in my strands. I started to put some Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor in my hair regularly, and upped the dusting and my ends are doing much better. No more mid shaft holes in my hair either. As for how long it takes for the balance to tip, well it doesn't for me. My regimen is more about moisture than protein, but it is pretty important.