How Thick Is Your Hair?

How thick is your hair? (Circumference of ponytail)

• 0-1''

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • 1-1.5''

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • 1.5-2''

Votes: 22 11.2%
  • 2-2.5''

Votes: 21 10.7%
  • 2.5-3''

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • 3-3.5''

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • 3.5-4''

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • 4-4.5''

Votes: 21 10.7%
  • 4.5-5''

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 5+

Votes: 27 13.7%

• Total voters
Wow im suprised 2.5 inches and im relaxed but its in a rollerset and im 9wks post maybe thats why

Last edited:
my hair is straight right now and i just moisturized it so its thinner but it measured 3". its thicker when air dried and no product.

I will have to wait until my hair is out and straigthened then I will be able to tell. But I do remember having my hair staightened about 4 months ago I could not wrap the goody ouchless pony tail holder around twice until I forced it and then it frayed and broke by that night.

I thought it meant straight. Its the only thickness that's "real". The rest is just bulk from the curls. My hair straight is about 1.2-5. But with a WnG puff its about 2-3.

4-5 inches. I just measured it today. I have REALLY thick hair. My relaxer thinned that out some, but now that I'm transitioning my hair is like "MWAHAHA I'M COMING BACK FROM THE DEAD!"

I'm just posting here so that I can find this thread later on. For a while now I have been wondering if there was a way to determine hair density. I have always considered my hair to be in the upper range of medium, to fairly thick. I don't have ponytail length hair yet, but I can't wait till I get there. I'm curious about my density and I really want to do this test! :grin:

I'm guessing my hair will be at least a 4, though I would not be at all surprised it it turns out to be 5+ It'll be interesting to see how this estimation will measure up against the real deal. :scratchch

I don't really have any goals as far as thickness. I think it's the kind of thing you either have, or don't have; not to mention the fact that I am happy with my current thickness. It's the length I crave!!! :nervous2:

What is your current thickness? Right now my hair is straight
and the diameter is 3.5 I'm guessing that it's thicker when I'm natural.

What is your goal thickness? I would love to be 2'' thicker.

Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? I'm hoping that co-washing and JBCO with help me thicken my tresses.

Last edited:
5+ inches, when I did have a ponytail. Extremely thick hair here =( and I actually wish my hair was a lot thinner because it stands out way too much. It's so wide. as it grows.

What is your current thickness? Between 1-1.5 inches
What is your goal thickness? I would like for my straightened hair to have a diameter of 3+ in a ponytail.
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? Yes, it has gotten much fuller since I have joined the board, and hopefully it will be more full by December 2011 when I am BSL.

What is your current thickness?diameter of my ponytail 12 inches
What is your goal thickness? i have enough now:look:
Do you think your hair will get any thicker?prob with added length :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Update
What is your current thickness?3.5"
What is your goal thickness?4"
Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not?
hopefully i can get it thicker once i grow out all of my short hairs. i think that will get me that last .5 inch

no idea of specifics but when straightened, it's tiny. When curly and fully dry, it's huge... to much to wrap the elastic around twice (again...if it's dry)

I just measured mine and got 3.5!:grin: I was actually surprised lol. I expected 1 or 2 honestly. I anticipate my hair will get thicker as it retains length. I'd like to be to 4" at least!

What is your current thickness? Right now my hair is straight
and the diameter is 3.5 I'm guessing that it's thicker when I'm natural.

What is your goal thickness? I would love to be 2'' thicker.

Do you think your hair will get any thicker? Why/not? I'm hoping that co-washing and JBCO with help me thicken my tresses.

Reading my post now I look back and I refuse to believe that I was that naïve and slightly delusional about the very nature of my fine hair. :lol: By definition having individual fine strands means that they have a very tiny diameter. I erroneously thought that it could be increased using JBCO, my hair has increased from 3.5 to 4 but I owe that slight increase to henna. :yep:

Considering that I have fine hair I’m just happy that the density is normal which means that it gives the appearance that I have lots of hair especially in its natural state.

Back