How to Control Roots & Edges for Rollerset?

bajanplums1

I finally tried to rollerset, and it worked. Thanks LHCF. The only problem I had was that my roots were kinked up, but the rest of the hair looked fab! My ends were sealed and smooth and the hair was shiny & volumnious.

Is there anyway to smooth the roots?
I washed with Aphogee Evening Primrose Deep Moisture Shampoo
I conditioned with DPR-11 for 25 min under hood dryer
I rinsed with FInesse Moisturizing COnditioner with Silk & Soy Proteins.
I towled dried & added Keracare Leave In Conditioner, Salerm 21 and Used Keracare Silken Seal on the ends.

I rolled and sat under the dryer for 1 hour--that was tough, stitting still for so long.

Thanks LHCF!

itismehmmkay

Good job!

I've heard/read that rollers with the snap covers work well for getting closer to the scalp and straightening the roots. As far as the edges, slick them down with gel or grease prior to roller setting and make sure they're still down before getting under the dryer.

Tracy

If you're too far from your last touch up, this will happen.

I don't find the rollers with the snap covers work well for me under any circumtances, but if they work for others, they may work for you.

When my hair is well past a TU and I want to rollerset, I usually flat iron or blow dry my roots a little to make them match the ends of my hair better. I find this also cuts down on too much friction at the line of demarcation because the textures aren't so different from one another.

Otherwise, I try to avoid rollersetting when I'm too close to my next TU. I like to avoid the manipulation that the RS requires, as well avoid having the ends too straight while the roots are so curly. It helps avoid breakage.

KAddy

I do the same steps as Tracy as far as flat ironing the roots. I too don't use the snap covers as they leave that ridge that I can't get rid off. I use clips and pull the hair taut in the rollers and clip the rollers to each other.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
I do the same steps as Tracy as far as flat ironing the roots.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if u want to avoid direct heat, how would u straighten without flat ironing??? plus, im not good with a flat iron and have only used it probably 3-5 times out of my whole life.

Kha

I twist the section I'm about roll once or twice and then roll. I've used this method on my Mom who only relaxes once or twice a year. She always has problems with her new growth, but this method seems to work pretty well.

KinksnCurlz

you will need a
blowdryer
fine tooth comb

Take the comb 2 the root of the section (where the roller was), apply the heat, and run the comb thru the root. Each blast of heat should be about 2-3 seconds at least 2xs.
and VIOLA, flat roots.
It think this method is better than the round brush.

sithembile

[ QUOTE ]
I do the same steps as Tracy as far as flat ironing the roots. I too don't use the snap covers as they leave that ridge that I can't get rid off. I use clips and pull the hair taut in the rollers and clip the rollers to each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of hair clips do you use?

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of hair clips do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even tho u weren't addressing me LOL, i use the small metal duck clips. double something or another... let me try and find a pic for you...give me a sec

KinksnCurlz

They r not this big... they come in a box of like 100. I showed you this one b/c i like this one better than this one...

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
[ QUOTE ]
I twist the section I'm about roll once or twice and then roll. I've used this method on my Mom who only relaxes once or twice a year. She always has problems with her new growth, but this method seems to work pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to get a visual on what you mean by twisting. Can you give more details.

TIA