How to outsmart a stylist?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
All are welcome to chime in but I'm relaxed and wanna know:
Have you been able to grow your (relaxed) hair to BSL and beyond with going to the salon regularly and getting routine trims?

Scenario:
I live in a small salon market and most have never heard of half of the techniques discussed within LHCF. Every stylist in my area are taught the same concepts: relax every 6-8 weeks and trim every 3 months; stretching beyond 10 weeks is damaging; trimming promotes growth, keeps the hair healthy and minimizes damage that split ends can cause.

The growth achieved is quickly done away with when I receive a trim because they make up for past/present IMO. I just feel stuck in a hair growth rut but the stylist assures these trims are necessary and she's only taking off (trimming) what's required.

I'm sure some of you would tell me to run in the opposite direction but I'll be running to another stylist with the same beliefs. Not sure what to do to better my hair growth situation in a hair technique/concept deprived market.

Thoughts?

I relax every 8-9 weeks, but i don't allow her to trim my hair...i trim my own hair. Also, i bring my own products for her to use in my hair (moisturizer, leave-in). She already uses bone combs so i don't have to bring those. You just have to take control and TELL her what you want..remember you're paying her for a service, she's not doing you a favor.

Start bunning and wearing your hair up more so you'll have to get trims much less frequently. Also, get a new hairstylist or ask for "dusting" and not a trim. Those 3-4 inch trims that a lot of stylists like to give are suspect and rarely if ever necessary.

When I was relaxed and got my hair trimmed, I would specify that I only wanted 1/8 of an inch cut...or I was going to throw a fit. It seemed to work.

Its your hair remember that. It takes a lot of courage to speak up to a stylist. You are paying them its not like its a free job. Thats all you have to think about when you go there. The proof is on LHCF not in the salons so obviously something right about the advice on here.
Do you go to the salon for everything washes, relaxers etc?

Start bunning and wearing your hair up more so you'll have to get trims much less frequently. Those 3-4 inch trims that a lot of stylists like to give are suspect and rarely if ever necessary. Also, get a new hairstylist or ask for "dusting" and not a trim. When I was relaxed and got my hair trimmed, I would specify that I only wanted 1/8 of an inch cut...or I was going to throw a fit. It seemed to work.
Prior to today's trim, my last trim was in March. I didn't join LHCF until ~April so I'm gonna tell myself I was due for a trim from when I was wearing my hair down. But now that those old ends are off and I'm PS'n (bunning), there should fewer trims or I will call her out b/c I will confidently know that my ends are healthy from PS and moisturizing/sealing. BTW, she didn't know what dusting was because I asked her to just dust my ends...:nono: My best best is to say 1/8 of an inch next time.:yep:

Its your hair remember that. It takes a lot of courage to speak up to a stylist. You are paying them its not like its a free job. Thats all you have to think about when you go there. The proof is on LHCF not in the salons so obviously something right about the advice on here.
Do you go to the salon for everything washes, relaxers etc?
Relaxers only. I do everything else because my current stylist has super limited knowledge. Relax and roller set is all she can successfully do. :nono: Very old fashioned...I can do that from home myself. :rolleyes: She prides herself on proper healthcare, blah blah. Whatever. That's what they all say.

I relax every 8-9 weeks, but i don't allow her to trim my hair...i trim my own hair. Also, i bring my own products for her to use in my hair (moisturizer, leave-in). She already uses bone combs so i don't have to bring those. You just have to take control and TELL her what you want..remember you're paying her for a service, she's not doing you a favor.
My stylist won't entertain nothing but Design Essentials! She thinks that's the wonder drug for hair. DE prods work well on my hair but I hate she has such limited focus...not every hair takes the same prods. My last stylist was the ish but she started to recognize that and her head got too big for me so I bounced....that's how I ended up with the current chick. I'm not overly impressed with her but I've settled for now since she only does my relaxers/trims. My relaxers take wonderfully, the trims and her lack of hair styling abilities are my current heartburns. Looks like jumping ship is in my near future.

Last edited:
Exactly! If you have to worry about who's doing what every time you hop into the chair....it just isn't worth it.

What can these stylist do that you can't?
I use to do my own touch-ups and was comfy with that and would consider doing it again....the trimming is where I am a bit nervous. I suppose I could let her re-touch me and I trim it myself...once I figure it out.

OP, I can understand where your coming from. Yes. We can all be DIY'ers but I think she wants to be able to spend her money on being pampered and wants to know if anyone here has found a stylist that has grown their hair to BSL and beyond.:look:

I want to know too :yep:

honestly i don't understand why so many people have issues with hair stylists...i mean a hair stylist could believe that putting petrolium jelly directly on the scalp every night while not washing the hair for a year at a time grows it like there's no tomorrow, i dont care. When WE walk into a salon we need to let THEM know what WE need. Point blank period. If she tells you you should go every 6 weeks, who cares? Go home and call her in 5 months to make an appointment!!! Lol If you see her pick up the scissors, tell her NO. I just dont get the biggie (now, a jelous stylist is a whole 'nother story)

OP, I can understand where your coming from. Yes. We can all be DIY'ers but I think she wants to be able to spend her money on being pampered and wants to know if anyone here has found a stylist that has grown their hair to BSL and beyond.:look:

I want to know too :yep:
EXACTLY!! I want to pamper myself as much as I can and still achieve long, healthy hair. I'm starting to think most healthy heads are DIY'ers.

honestly i don't understand why so many people have issues with hair stylists...i mean a hair stylist could believe that putting petrolium jelly directly on the scalp every night while not washing the hair for a year at a time grows it like there's no tomorrow, i dont care. When WE walk into a salon we need to let THEM know what WE need. Point blank period. If she tells you you should go every 6 weeks, who cares? Go home and call her in 5 months to make an appointment!!! Lol If you see her pick up the scissors, tell her NO. I just dont get the biggie (now, a jelous stylist is a whole 'nother story)
So you're saying you're stylist has always done exactly what you've wanted 110% of the time and you have no complaints whatsoever? :ohwell: If so, I'm jealous....let me book an appt with your sylist. :yep: I don't doubt I need a trim...I just question that amount trimmed. Perhaps I can alleviate this by trimming/dusting myself.

I have mixed emotions about trimming....my goal: a long BSL and beyond, healthy head of hair....sure, I can achieve this by not trimming but I don't want to sacrafice my hair's overall health by skipping trims, etc. There's got to be a happy medium.

Last edited:
I don't think you have to "outsmart" her. Money talks. Show her how much you want trimmed, explain that you have length goals that you're working toward and explain to her that you will be heartbroken if she cuts more than you ask and that you will not come back to her is she does.

DivaC: Go to a place like: Saturday's Family Cuts, Master Cuts, etc....(whatever you have locally in your town) Where they only Trim exactly what YOU tell them,:look: and then you won't have that worry.:perplexed

Then the rest of it, you can do on your own.:yep:

go to her for relaxers and somewhere else for a trim or ask her to trim every 5-6 months instead.
try having washes at other salons and see if you find a stylist you like.

DivaC: Go to a place like: Saturday's Family Cuts, Master Cuts, etc....(whatever you have locally in your town) Where they only Trim exactly what YOU tell them,:look: and then you won't have that worry.:perplexed

Then the rest of it, you can do on your own.:yep:

I agree. Try Visable Changes, Toni & Guy, Aveda, Supercuts, Fantasic Sam's, Regis, Trade Secret, etc.

The best haircut I EVER got in my life was a $40 cut I got at Trade Secret when I was living in Austin. John Paul DeJoria just so happen to come in (I guess he was coming to see how they were using his new product) and he paid me a compliment so that made it even better.

go to her for relaxers and somewhere else for a trim or ask her to trim every 5-6 months instead.
try having washes at other salons and see if you find a stylist you like.

I don't like the way my current stylist trims my hair and I am VERY uncomfortable relaxing or trimming my own hair. So I am currently seeking out a new stylist for hair cuts and trims (maybe even relaxers). In the mean time I purchased some hair shears and I just clip the occasional split end or raggedy end that I see and of course I protect my ends on the regular.

Is it an option for you to drive to the nearest big city for more of a stylist selection?

Is it an option for you to drive to the nearest big city for more of a stylist selection?
If I put my mind to it, yes but it's a solid hr drive for a larger stylist selection. :ohwell: I'll heed the advice given within the thread and ask for a trim every 6 months and be specific about what I want cut. She's kind enough to respect my wishes although she will lecture me about my decision.:rolleyes:

No one should have to try and "outsmart" a stylist. Just be clear and firm about what you want and don't want. If it's a problem just take your money elsewhere.

Relaxers only. I do everything else because my current stylist has super limited knowledge. Relax and roller set is all she can successfully do. :nono: Very old fashioned...I can do that from home myself. :rolleyes: She prides herself on proper healthcare, blah blah. Whatever. That's what they all say.

Well I think thats pretty good. That means you're only going there every 8 weeks at the very least. I know its hard to speak up to a stylist. Im the same way but I think that it needs to be done. If you dont want a trim, you dont want a trim. What is she gonna do hold you down in the chair and trim you :lol: Thats what I did my last salon visits and I couldnt be happier!

Speaking of trimming, I got a touch up after 10 weeks post. My stylist trimmed my hair without asking, which I was going to do myself. Why didn't I say anything, but it was a subtly movement. Secondly, it was time for a trim. She still should have asked and I should have spoken up. This was the first time she trimmed my hair, which wasn't bad. Moving fast forward. Two weeks later, (yesterday) I trimmed and dusted my hair is light, and lively. I've viewed, Tracey's (KISS) on how to dust. Excellent tutorial. Just take charge of your own hair without anxiety or control from stylists.

India

Last edited:
Back