How to wet bun.,.without damage!?

yuhlovevybz

I was reading another thread another user posted pictures of her hair from wet bunning. I wet bun all the time and I do notice that when I take out the rubberband I have quite some hair coming out with it. I'm realizing that this might be the highlight of my issues on retaining length. I've cut out all my heat and high manipulation so I should be seeing growth but.... I think wet bunning may be causing breakage at the apex of my head where I have layers that seem to not grow out.

I use scunci cloth-covered rubberbands and a hair-textured bunform. I bun wet hair after cowashing. Any help would be looooooved.

ColibriNoir

I'm considering wet bunning as well but I'm afraid of suffering a set back from breakage. I'd be interested in finding out how others are achieving this look with minimal breakage. Thanks for starting this thread, OP.

Dove56

I grew my hair to the end of my back by wearing wet buns back in the day. I've been wet bunning since Oct now and my hair has grown so much with no damage or set backs.

I use covered hair bands and one thing I always do is lift one section of the band up when I get ready to take the band off my hair so I don't rip my hair out. I also don't keep my bun sopping wet. I towel dry my bun then use a bit of leave in conditioner by As I Am.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
This was how I did my wet buns and my hair thrived. No breakage and I retained every single centimeter of growth. Never used hair ties at the base of the bun, because I don't think they're the best thing to use when securing fragile, wet hair.

http://picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20932966

Last edited:

FrazzledFraggle

I wet bun and it's helped quite a bit. I opt for cut up pantyhose. I buy a pair of pantyhose that most closely matches my hair color and I cut them in strips (I usually end up with about 30 or more strips from an entire pair). In fact, that's all I use. They are great because they are stretchy and keep their shape. Leggs Sheer energy work the best in terms of stretchiness and being smoothness rather than being rough. They are perfect for bunning and no tearing.

Diva_Esq

I have done a wet bun daily since I could get my hair into a bun after big chopping 3 years ago. I use goody ouchless bands and I don't have breakage. I make sure I don't make them too tight, I am careful when removing them, and I don't sleep bunned. My hair was 4 inches long when I bc'd now it is whip length.

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
PhonyBaloney500 Either a satin scrunchie or Good Day Hair Pins from Sally's

EnExitStageLeft

I wet bun alot in the summer due to frequent cowashing and my hair LOVES IT! The key is to use a good hair band or securing tool. Alot of hair bands are ouchless now (no metal clasp), however they still have glue treks or adhesive buildup that is jagged and still potentially damaging the hair. So because of that I prefer Belle Ponytail Holders and Scunci No Slip Silicone Ponytail holders. The Belle brand can be found at Dollar General and the Scunci brands can be found at Target, Wlamart, CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid.

Jewell

I wet bun alot in the summer due to frequent cowashing and my hair LOVES IT! The key is to use a good hair band or securing tool. Alot of hair bands are ouchless now (no metal clasp), however they still have glue treks or adhesive buildup that is jagged and still potentially damaging the hair. So because of that I prefer Belle Ponytail Holders and Scunci No Slip Silicone Ponytail holders. The Belle brand can be found at Dollar General and the Scunci brands can be found at Target, Wlamart, CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid.

I use the Scunci Silicone elastics too on my hair and my daughter's 4a natural hair. These are the best no damage, no slip ponytail holders I've found so far. And when it comes to accessories, we have tried a lot. I think theyare called Scunci aEvolution or something. Bomb-diggity. My hair loves wet bunning too. I use brown/dark colored Good Day Hair Pins. I need to try the spin pins soon.

I have a large selection of hair sticks too that I use. I even decorate and paint my own sometimes. Ive never broken one trying to get it into my hair...and Ive been using them since 1999. I prefer plastic, smooth lacquered wood, or metal ones. Hair forks and large Spanish Flamenco style hair combs are fun too. I have a lil of everythang...from Boho to Asian, African, and upscale crystal encrusted pieces. Theyre like jewelry for the hair, and I love jewelry and sparkly stuff. Im kinda like a magpie when it comes to that, lol. :)

Last edited:

Enyo

I swear by hair sticks. I will only use ties if I am rocking a pony puff and that's really rare.

curlycrocheter

I second hair sticks and goody spin pins.

Anything that you don't have to wrap around your strands basically. I've been forced to use bands to bun, since my hair is much shorter than it used to be, but now that it's grown out a little, I'll be returning to my hair sticks/forks for bunning.

Ogoma

Really? Were they high quality? What are your hair stats??I have WL 4a hair and never had a problem.

ETA: I get mine here: http://www.quecraft.com

Sent from my messy iPhone

They are the drugstore ones as well as the ones I got from Lila Rose. I will check out the ones in the link. My hair is 4a and in the land b/w APL and BSL so if you use them fine, I should be able to.

yuhlovevybz

Thanks ladies soooooooo much for the tips!!

My hair is like a lil fro so hair sticks won't work, but I tried the cut up pantyhose last night and when I took my bun down no hairs came out with it!

I think I've seen the silicone hair bands in target before so ill pick some of those up next time I go there. I think replacing my snapping hair clips with bobby pins might help as well, I'm thinking that those sharp metal clips might be causing breaking in the back of my hair and in my bangs...ill try alternate options and see how it changes.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Me and wet bunning go way back. I eventually opted for damp bunning, mainly because the hair is most fragile when wet. I m&s my hair and then let it airdry briefly a few minutes to make sure it's not soaking wet.

I baggy my damp buns to keep the moisture in. I use a plastic sandwich baggy (fold flap, not the zippered ones), cover my bun and then place the ponyholder on top of the baggy. The bands never touch my hair.

Also, and this is key! Never bun tightly. As the exposed hair starts to airdry, it will shrink and pull on the bun. Leave a little give in your bunning to compensate for airdrying. Even as the hair airdries and pulls, my bunned hair is still moist and supple. There should be no tension between the two or you risk breakage at that point.

To style my baggied bun, I either cover it with a phonytail, wrap it in a decorative scarf or cover it with a black opaque wig cap (or 2 regular ones) and then wrap that with a faux braid to make a bun. The wig cap(s) is to make sure the plastic baggy doesn't show thru.

Always looks good. No tension. No band contact with my hair and no breakage.

Jmartjrmd

Serious question but would mini buns work. I mean, I have short hair not long enough to do a bun or a ponytail to twist into a bun like I've seen on here but if I sectioned my hair into 3 or 4 sections and did mini buns I wonder if it would help.

I did the bc almost 3 years ago and I had visions of my hair growing and thriving to beautiful lengths but obviously I'm doing a lot of things terribly wrong.

yuhlovevybz

Serious question but would mini buns work. I mean, I have short hair not long enough to do a bun or a ponytail to twist into a bun like I've seen on here but if I sectioned my hair into 3 or 4 sections and did mini buns I wonder if it would help.

I did the bc almost 3 years ago and I had visions of my hair growing and thriving to beautiful lengths but obviously I'm doing a lot of things terribly wrong.

I think it would be counterproductive. That's more manipulation, not less, depending on how often you do it. How long is your hair? I've been doing buns since I first did my big chop. Also are you relaxed or natural and what is your regimen?

Jmartjrmd

yuhlovevybz
My hair is different lengths. It's short at the top (Ive always been unable to get that to grow consistently) the front comes to the end of my nose and the back is right at shoulder lenght. When I pull it all back it barely makes a ponytail.

I am natural

I wash once a week, deep condition once and week and do a protein treatment 2 times a month. I always have really dry hair and a few days ago I started trying the LOC method which has helped some.

I use wigs as my protective style...I braid underneath the wig but I REALLY want to wear my own hair I would just feel more comfortable if it would grow some.

Last edited:

yuhlovevybz

@yuhlovevbz
My hair is different lengths. It's short at the top (Ive always been unable to get that to grow consistently) the front comes to the end of my nose and the back is right at shoulder lenght. When I pull it all back it barely makes a ponytail.

I am natural

I wash once a week, deep condition once and week and do a protein treatment 2 times a month. I always have really dry hair and a few days ago I started trying the LOC method which has helped some.

I use wigs as my protective style...I braid underneath the wig but I REALLY want to wear my own hair I would just feel more comfortable if it would grow some.

You sound like my hair twin, my hair is somewhere in that area. My bun is little so I fake it til I make it. When I want more volume I put my hair all the way on the tip of my head. Do you style your hair when wet? It is impossible for me to do otherwise because of the shrinkage. For high up I don't always make it a bun, because nothing can really harm my ends if its not cold and they're just floating around. I flip my hair upside down while its weight down with water and just tie it up.

image-1874477973.jpg

For a centered bun I fake it. If I tuck it with a scrunchy it's too tiny, so I tie it into a pony tail, tuck the ends above it with a bobby pin, and pluck at it to make it look bigger.

image-4050080681.jpg

image-1002904443.jpg

Hope that helps! What helped me grow out my hair when all else fails was cowashing.

tapioca_pudding

Such a great thread.. wet/damp bunning has been a life saver but I'm noticing breakage in the very center of my bun. I'm not sure if it's due to the area staying wet too long (my hair doesn't do well being wet for long periods of time) because that's the last area to dry and it's usually still damp by the end of the day. I will look into spin pins or some type of clip vs. a ponytail holder so that area can get air to it and dry evenly.