Gel in relaxed hair for wet bunning???

indarican

So I have been looking through the forums and think I may try the wet bunning. I have relaxed hair, do you think it would be bad to put gel in it those days that I will be wearing the wet bun, about two weeks out the month?

LongTimeComing

When I wet bunned I did.

Just make sure you get a gel with no alcohol and don't comb through the gel. The next day just kinda dampen your hair where the gel is and use your fingers to smooth it down and put on a scarf. After 20 min your edges will be flat again.

You may also try something like elasta qp glaze, it has a hold, but not stiff like gel so you can comb through it.

Americka

When I wet bunned I did.

Just make sure you get a gel with no alcohol and don't comb through the gel. The next day just kinda dampen your hair where the gel is and use your fingers to smooth it down and put on a scarf. After 20 min your edges will be flat again.

You may also try something like elasta qp glaze, it has a hold, but not stiff like gel so you can comb through it.

ITA with the Elast QP Qlaze! :yep:

Mz.MoMo5235

when i was relaxed i used to... i mean my hair was ate up back then, but i'm sure it wasnt that lol.

use aloe vera gel. that's what i use. though it does nothing for the kitchen

The Princess

I use JAM to slick down my edges. However I don't start using JAM until im 4+ weeks post cause my hair is still pretty straight, including the edges.

Chanteuse

I used fantasia ic gel with sparkelites - just on my edges. No matter how many months of new growth I had it laid my edges down (coupled with a scarf). However you can't comb though it afterwards b/c it will flake. You just need to wash or co-wash it out. I used to use elasta qp also but it would melt or evaporate during the day so i ended up with puffy edges halfwaw through the day.

~NanCeBoTwin~

I use PM The Conditioner kind of like a gel for wet bunning. I cowash, spray my homemade mix on my NG and the length of my hair add oil to my ends and apply PM The Conditioner brush my my edges and put on my scarf. Until I cowash again I'll just add oil or my homemade spray as needed, and apply my scarf, my edges continue to lay. I'll do this for 2-4 days before cowashing again.

indarican

I use PM The Conditioner kind of like a gel for wet bunning. I cowash, spray my homemade mix on my NG and the length of my hair add oil to my ends and apply PM The Conditioner brush my my edges and put on my scarf. Until I cowash again I'll just add oil or my homemade spray as needed, and apply my scarf, my edges continue to lay. I'll do this for 2-4 days before cowashing again.

What brand is pm? Also would you suggest I rinse it out every night?

~NanCeBoTwin~

What brand is pm? Also would you suggest I rinse it out every night?

Paul Mitchel -The Conditioner, it's a leave-in conditioner, so you don't have to wash it out at all. I'll bun this way for a few days w/o cowashing again the most being maybe 4. I start doing this technique usually when I'm 10-12 week post, at the most I'd hold this for 4 days because I get paranoid about my NG becoming dry, even though I use my spray bottle mixture. My hair loves me to cowash during my stretches so I wet my hair alot.

Last edited:

indarican

I used fantasia ic gel with sparkelites - just on my edges. No matter how many months of new growth I had it laid my edges down (coupled with a scarf). However you can't comb though it afterwards b/c it will flake. You just need to wash or co-wash it out. I used to use elasta qp also but it would melt or evaporate during the day so i ended up with puffy edges halfwaw through the day.

Definetly can't use anything that is going to evaporate on me, i would end up in the same predicament I'm in now... At work at 12 with poofy edges.

The Princess

Paul Mitchel -The Conditioner, it's a leave-in conditioner, so you don't have to wash it out at all. I'll bun this way for a few days w/o cowashing again the most being maybe 4. I start doing this technique usually when I'm 10-12 week post, at the most I'd hold this for 4 days because I get paranoid about my NG becoming dry, even though I use my spray bottle mixture. My hair loves me to cowash during my stretches so I wet my hair alot.

Im a 4b.. I do the similar to you. I wet my hair a little and apply the GVP Paul Mitchell The Conditioner and bun it up, around 8+weeks. Usually around this time Im not up to dealing with my hair. It helps alot. Especially when Im feeling lazy too. One time I did it for a whole week. No adverse actions either. I love this conditioner.

mahogany_horizons

I'm relaxed and I use gel when wet bunning. I use a light silk elements gel intended to define curls and it works excellently for me. I never have any problems. I just tie my hair down to maintain and the style is good for 3 to 4 days. Like another poster said, if the hair needs to be redone, I must wash it, otherwise it will flake, and for me it will be itchy. But i use so little gel on my hair, and it has such a light hold that it is not like using thick, hard, dry crunchy gel. That makes my hair itch.

jayjaycurlz

I wet bunned today for the first time. Do you guys sleep in the bun? 'Cuz by the end of the day at work today, my head was sore and I needed to take down my bun. I didn't tie my bun tight, but I guess my hair isn't used to being up all day. I'm used to having my hair in wash n' gos but wanted to Hide my hair this winter.

What's your nighttime reggie for the wet bun? (i.e moisture, sealing and wrapping instructions) Thanks!

~NanCeBoTwin~

I wet bunned today for the first time. Do you guys sleep in the bun? 'Cuz by the end of the day at work today, my head was sore and I needed to take down my bun. I didn't tie my bun tight, but I guess my hair isn't used to being up all day. I'm used to having my hair in wash n' gos but wanted to Hide my hair this winter.

What's your nighttime reggie for the wet bun? (i.e moisture, sealing and wrapping instructions) Thanks!

I don't sleep in my bun. I tie my scarf around my hair at night, adding whatever my hair is in need of; be it oil or moisture.

Carrie A

You could use a thicker conditioner. Right now I'm using a dab of Qhemet butter cream. I have also used the almond glaze by Hairveda. They didn't flake. I just keep my hair in the bun until wash day. I made twist the ends and apply water/ castor oil to avoid knots. In the morning just let a little water run over the top then smooth back with your hand or a toothbrush (as soom ladies have used. The wet bun can be a little textured so I wouldn't fret too much. I sleep on a satin pillowcase.

supermodelsonya

I normally use a cream based leave in conditioner when I'm bunning.

I wait until my hair has dried about thirty minutes...then I start bunning using my Silk Elements leave in on the sides and back. Then I do the scarf method to get everything to lie down.

Works for me.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I use FOTE 100% Aloe Vera Gel and as of yesterday the FOTE Vitamin E gel, it's the only gel I use in my hair and it contains no alcohol what so ever. I been wet bunning for over a year and a half and it's been very beneficial

indarican

I use FOTE 100% Aloe Vera Gel and as of yesterday the FOTE Vitamin E gel, it's the only gel I use in my hair and it contains no alcohol what so ever. I been wet bunning for over a year and a half and it's been very beneficial
your probably the second person to suggest aloe vera gel, i think i may give that one a try. Do you have to wash it out every night? im deathly afraid of doing the bun for a couple of days straight without washing and then the inside of my hair becomes matted and knotty, do you have any problems like this or is it easy to comb?

Carrie A

your probably the second person to suggest aloe vera gel, i think i may give that one a try. Do you have to wash it out every night? im deathly afraid of doing the bun for a couple of days straight without washing and then the inside of my hair becomes matted and knotty, do you have any problems like this or is it easy to comb?

This can happen, although if you are relaxed probably less so. Just be gentle on wash day and use a good detangler. Also detangle well before you put the hair into the bun. My hair mats under the bun if that is the style for the week I only manipulate the hair on wash day. Once it's saturated with water matting twnds to fall out. I'm natural now, but when I was relaxed the bun was my staple style.

indarican

This can happen, although if you are relaxed probably less so. Just be gentle on wash day and use a good detangler. Also detangle well before you put the hair into the bun. My hair mats under the bun if that is the style for the week I only manipulate the hair on wash day. Once it's saturated with water matting twnds to fall out. I'm natural now, but when I was relaxed the bun was my staple style.
What would you suggest as a good detangler, i use KUZ now for my deep conditioning, but i feel like i will be washing more often and not needing to dc all the time. Any regular conditioner/detangler suggestions?

SherylsTresses

If your hair can handle it, then yes. :yep: For my hair, after I'm done with the scarf method, I only need to apply my moisturizer (Nexxus Humectin) bun and tie it up just before bed. By morning, my hair would be flat from the scarf and I'm ready to wear my bun. :yawn:

indarican

If your hair can handle it, then yes. :yep: For my hair, after I'm done with the scarf method, I only need to apply my moisturizer (Nexxus Humectin) bun and tie it up just before bed. By morning, my hair would be flat from the scarf and I'm ready to wear my bun. :yawn:
What do you mean scarf method?

Carrie A

^^ It can be ordered on line, but I get it from Whole Foods. The line is called Kinky Curly. The detangler is Knot Today. Also texlaxing is relaxing but for a shorter processing time. This leaves more texture/ kink in the hair vs a bone straight look.

indarican

^^ It can be ordered on line, but I get it from Whole Foods. The line is called Kinky Curly. The detangler is Knot Today. Also texlaxing is relaxing but for a shorter processing time. This leaves more texture/ kink in the hair vs a bone straight look.

OHHH thanks, i thought it was texturizing and relaxing together. I dont have a whole foods by me, ill try on line.