Hydration Observation Bath Vs Shower

Kitamita

Hello Ladies,

I wanted to share with something I have noticed recently with the hydration of my hair.

I have low porosity hair prone to single strand knots and frizz.

Due to having foot surgery (double bunionectomy), I have been taking a bath in place of my usual showers. Previously when I was able to shower I would thoroughly wet my hair and ensure I had saturation, bun it up on top my head and finish up. My hair was ok, pretty good, still some single strand knot on the ends but I was happy enough with it. Now bathing, I lay back to soak my hair for about 5-10 mins, bun it up on top my head and finish up. I apply conditioner after I get out while my hair is wet (deva curl), same as always. *I soak my hair every other day other days I just rinse it*

Well since I have been bathing my hair has been so much more hydrated, my curls poppin', so soft, all around healthier hair. Frizz and knots have all but disappeared. The only thing I have changed is the bath instead of showers. Steamers, pre-poo, and deep conditioners have not hydrated my hair like this.

Just wanted to share with you ladies...

Lita

You will also notice quicker hair growth,at least I did when I was in the tub,but do to broken bones I have to use a shower chair for bathing until my Doctor clears me to sit low in the tub..

•Thanks for sharing...:) :blush:

****I miss my long tub baths:(

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

faithVA

Hello Ladies,

I wanted to share with something I have noticed recently with the hydration of my hair.

Due to having foot surgery (double bunionectomy), I have been taking a bath in place of my usual showers. Previously when I was able to shower I would thoroughly wet my hair and ensure I had saturation, bun it up on top my head and finish up. My hair was ok, pretty good, still some single strand knot on the ends but I was happy enough with it. Now bathing, I lay back to soak my hair for about 5-10 mins, bun it up on top my head and finish up. I apply conditioner after I get out while my hair is wet (deva curl), same as always. *I soak my hair every other day other days I just rinse it*

Well since I have been bathing my hair has been so much more hydrated, my curls poppin', so soft, all around healthier hair. Frizz and knots have all but disappeared. The only thing I have changed is the bath instead of showers. Steamers, pre-poo, and deep conditioners have not hydrated my hair like this.

It makes since. Low porosity hair needs more time to soak in water. I tried using a basin once but that did t work out. My hair is too short for the tub. Maybe I can figure out another way

Thanks for sharing.

faithVA

Hello Ladies,

How many times have you done this?

Kitamita

How many times have you done this?

I have been in the tub for about eight weeks now but I noticed it about 3 weeks in. I soak my hair about 3x a week. I don't do it every time because using the tub does take longer. It's not like a quick hop in the shower. But the benefits to my hair have me thinking I may need to keep it up to a degree once I can use a shower again.

Last edited:

LushLox

That's interesting. I have a shower filter so I'd have to catch some water in a basin then soak my hair that way as I need the benefits of the softer water. Although that bending over for a long period will be a bit painful on the back lol.

I'll give this a try next time.

faithVA

Yeah I really want to try this again but I have to figure out a short cut. I wonder if I can lay across the. Punter and put my head in the sink :look: :lol:

Theresamonet

I tried this years ago after reading about it on LHC forum. They call them Mermaid Soaks. Didn’t do much for me as far as moisture goes. I’ve always really drenched my hair in the shower anyway. Plus, it kinda ruined my bath because I was afraid to add anything to my water. I like bubbles and fizz.

I still do this though when I’m rinsing clays, henna, pastes, etc. It’s so much faster than trying to rinse gritty particles under a shower stream.

CurlyWhoCrux

You know, just yesterday I was thinking that maybe I should start bringing a bowl or something into the shower with me so I can pour large amounts of water onto my hair while also showering...
Idk, maybe I’ll take a bath sometime this week and try this out. I’ve done it in the past but I can’t remember how it worked for me.

faithVA

My hair doesn't get drenched no matter how long I stay in the shower. I've started using a stronger shower setting.

I think what I will do is just add enough water in the tub to submerge my hair and lie down in the tub with my feet up . May try it tonight.

Kitamita

That's interesting. I have a shower filter so I'd have to catch some water in a basin then soak my hair that way as I need the benefits of the softer water. Although that bending over for a long period will be a bit painful on the back lol.

I'll give this a try next time.

I have a filter on my shower as well because our water is hard. So I was concerned that bathing would mess up my hair but so far so good. I do use Devcurl Buildup buster just in case. Hopefully one day I can get a house filter :).

Kitamita

My hair doesn't get drenched no matter how long I stay in the shower. I've started using a stronger shower setting.

I think what I will do is just add enough water in the tub to submerge my hair and lie down in the tub with my feet up. May try it tonight.

That's what I do. I just take a quick "bird bath" since I can't use the shower. I used to think that too about my hair. It would take foooorever to get wet. As soon as I got out the shower my ends would start frizzing up and look dry, even though I saturated it in the shower. I think it is the combination of the hot water and submerging it that really allows the hair shaft to soak up the water. The only other time my hair comes close to this when I do the Max Hydration Method w/ baking soda. I don't like to do it too often though because I heard it can be stressful for your hair.

faithVA

OK I tried it tonight. Of course I don't have much to report after just 1 time. My hair is stubborn to water. I kept my hair under for 5 minutes because that is all the patience I have :lol:

I rinsed my hair first to remove all the conditioner. I didn't shampoo because I only do that every 7 to 10 days. Then I immersed my hair for 5 minutes. I initially was on my back but then to get the front I was on my knees. I forgot my hair doesn't like to be upside down because then it got all crazy. It does the same when I wash it in the sink. Next time I won't worry about the front or I may put my hair in twist.

I think I will do this once a week on the weekend when I have more time and see how it goes. It felt good to massage my scalp under water.

After, I rinsed my hair in the shower in warm water because my hair was ice cold by the time I got around to putting in conditioner. I put in diluted conditioner. I had to do extra detangling because I turned my hair upside down. Then I just did my usual twist up.