What styles give you the most knots and splits?

SelahOco

I'm really trying to avoid more damage! Since I've been twisting my hair wet, I've gotten a lot of single strand knots (SSKs). I've learned not to do wash and gos (WNGs) because many ladies report bad knots from them.

What styles seem to give you the most knots? Have you noticed any trends around why you're getting them?

I never seemed to get them when I blow my hair and get cornrows. But I can't stay stuck in that style forever.

Share please.......:spinning:

ceebee3

My hair gets tangled when I wear braidouts. I can't wear them for more than a day. At night I have to detangle with conditioner.

I like the way they look but I don't really do them anymore because of this.

LadyD

All of the above. Including puffs, which I love! The only style that I don't get knots with is buns.

PPGbubbles

Letting my hair air dry in a puff=knot city!

Wearing my hair flat-ironed seems to give me a lot of splits :/

I am finding that my fave no stress style is wearing my hair flat twisted into a low bun for a few days, then rocking the twist out for a day or so. And finally pulling the twist-out into a low bun. all of this last for a week or two dependidng on my activity level and gives me style versatiliy

dachsies_rule!

Braidouts and twistouts give me a lot of knots. I actually lost quite a bit of hair a few weeks ago doing a modified two-strand twistout.

Mandy4610

I can't seem to win when it comes to this subject. WnGs definitely are a no no and now it looks like braidouts and twistouts are a no no for me too:wallbash:
What, in the name of all that is good, Am I supposed to do?

Blowdrying supposedly cause splits, so I guess it is back to rollersetting and wearing rollerset hair in productive styles like buns or updos of some sort.

Sha76

I was wondering this too. Lately I have been wearing a sort of WnG. I dont let it air dry I use a blow dryer with a diffuser on cool settings to sry my hair. It usually comes out soft and lately I have not found any SKKs.

But flat ironing does seem to give me a lot of spilts

SelahOco

When yall say WNGs do you mean that literally, or do you use ur denman or shingle ur hair in some way. I'm wondering of handling the hair in some why reduces the knots.

Lola Laughs

I default to WNGs on my lazy days, but the SSKs are ridiculous.
I don't get the SSKs with braid or twists-outs as long as I seal the ends with castor oil and roll the ends on a curler while drying.

Lola Laughs

When yall say WNGs do you mean that literally, or do you use ur denman or shingle ur hair in some way. I'm wondering of handling the hair in some why reduces the knots.

Good question--if I use the Denman and/or shingle--SSKs. When I literally just wash, throw on some moisturizer/oil and go, no SSKs (doesn't look as good through).

SelahOco

Good question--if I use the Denman and/or shingle--SSKs. When I literally just wash, throw on some moisturizer/oil and go, no SSKs (doesn't look as good through).

Thanks for responding. I'm sorry my post looked so crazy! I'm supposed to be going to the movies and I'm sneaking and being on the forum :look: .

I'm typing way too fast and sounding very special in the process. :lachen:

I love how WNGs look..but I did it once and my hair knotted up terrible. I almost don't want to clip my ends b/c them my new ends will just get knotted up.

I love my twists. But I hate knots and I can't stop touching and ripping them out.:wallbash:

Vonnieluvs08

I would definitely have to agree with the ladies that any unstretched style gives me the most knots-WNGs, puffs, pony puff. Twists especially dry twists have been my mainstay for the fall and winter and my SSKs have gone down dramatically.

Last edited:

Optimus_Prime

Braidouts caused me horrible tangles. Though I think the common thread here is that any style that requires a meticulously detangled hair (i.e. blowdrying and flatironing) seems to cause splits.

Ms Lala

Any unstretched hair style leads to knots for my hair (shrunken puff, wash no go etc...). Also sleeping with my hair loose gives me knots. I have to twist it our braid it at night.

scarcity21

I would definitely have to agree with the ladies that any unstretched style gives me the most knots-WNGs, puffs, pony puff. Twists especially dry twists have been my mainstay for the fall and winter and my SSKs have gone down dramatically.
what exactly do u mean by dry twists? do u twist dry?
what do u do after a wash? airdry in large twists then re twist into smaller twists after air drying? just trying to understand...thanks

ebonimama

WnG's hands down!!!!! I lost a years worth of growth wearing this style for 1 week!!! Never again. Braid outs are a close second. The only protective style that works for me without loss of hair are buns, and half wigs.

I have learned to stick with what works for me and not to go trying new styles willy nilly.

finickyone

I'm glad I read this thread because I have been getting knots like no other. Based on the replies. I guess its the twist out thats causing the knots. Dang, I finally just figured out how to make my twist outs look good too.

loolalooh

Braidouts and wash-n-gos give me knots and splits. Twistouts work out well, but if I keep them in too long then it's tangle city.

Have you tried twisting on dry, stretched hair? That works for me in terms of minimizing knots and splits.

MrsMe

Wash n go's, puff unbraided or twisted at night, shrunken fro, and dryness... All of these were my enemiesin my quest to keep my hair easy to detangle and retain length.

SistaSista

Braidouts are my worst enemy. Although I love how it looks my hair breaks and tangles bad even when well moisturized.