I am not my hair!

yardyspice

Hey, you lady in the mall! Because you were the only black woman in the kids play area, I sidled up to you and struck up a conversation. I dismissed your coldness for distraction since you were there with your kids but after talking to you I realized that you dismissed me as someone beneath you even though I was dressed nicely. I could tell you thought so because you said the name of the investment firm from which you were laid off as though I wouldn't know it. Weren't you shocked that I was as educated as you! I am protective styling, keeping my natural hair in a bun so one day it'll be at my waist and not neck length like your fried and dyed.

BlkOnyx488

Feel better?:drunk:

Hey, you lady in the mall! Because you were the only black woman in the kids play area, I sidled up to you and struck up a conversation. I dismissed your coldness for distraction since you were there with your kids but after talking to you I realized that you dismissed me as someone beneath you even though I was dressed nicely. I could tell you thought so because you said the name of the investment firm from which you were laid off as though I wouldn't know it. Weren't you shocked that I was as educated as you! I am protective styling, keeping my natural hair in a bun so one day it'll be at my waist and not neck length like your fried and dyed.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
How did you know she was being mean to you because of your hair?
Maybe she's just unfriendly.
Or in a bad mood...she did get laid off from a (presumably) prestigious investment firm.

I wouldn't be very friendly in that position. :look:

yardyspice

She gave me the once over and went to the other side of the play area. You should have seen how she warmed up when she realized we went to the same ls, etc. It's just something about LA that you have to live here to understand, I think. Maybe other LA naturals can better explain what I am getting at.

Or in a bad mood...she did get laid off from a (presumably) prestigious investment firm.

-Volare

She gave me the once over and went to the other side of the play area. You should have seen how she warmed up when she realized we went to the same ls, etc. It's just something about LA that you have to live here to understand, I think. Maybe other LA naturals can better explain what I am getting at.

Maybe she was jealous.

Almaz

Oh I see I am out there a lot people really judge people by their appreance hair hair texture skin skin colour and what you drive where you live. Yeah when I am out there visiting family I see people who act like this. Yeah you go back to Crenshaw and I will go back to Beverly Hills.

Yeah Baldwin Hills aint that great either

I find that most of the people are fronting anyway. They are even more away from being in poverty than some of the people I see who are working at wall mart.

BlackMasterPiece

Well this thread demonstrates you clearly feel kinda insecure about your current protective style.....why not do one that you can feel confident and beautiful with?

BlkOnyx488

Sounds alot like the DC area too!:rolleyes::lachen:

Oh I see I am out there a lot people really judge people by their appreance hair hair texture skin skin colour and what you drive where you live. Yeah when I am out there visiting family I see people who act like this. Yeah you go back to Crenshaw and I will go back to Beverly Hills.

Yeah Baldwin Hills aint that great either

I find that most of the people are fronting anyway. They are even more away from being in poverty than some of the people I see who are working at wall mart.

Almaz

Oh Dear lord yes. I have there too. Lot of my Dad's relatives I see this with SOME Habeshas that act like they are on top of the world when I am like look back home dude you were living in a Hut in Gojaam Berenda Don't act all like your arse is on your shoulder cause now you have a Toyota Camry and living an a Apartment in VA. Dial it back a bit dude.:lachen::lachen:America is the land of opportunity for everyone don't think you are better because you made it and someone did not make it as well.

Sounds alot like the DC area too!:rolleyes::lachen:

yardyspice

I've heard the same thing from other LA naturals so nah it's not my ps. For some natural = low ses or you can't afford a weave.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over

Did she linger on your head? Or did she do anything specifically to show that she did not like your hair?

It just sounds like to me that she was hanging out by herself, you tried to talk to her, and she didn't want to talk back, at least not until she realized that you two had things in common.
I feel like that happens all the time, and it can have nothing to do with hair. Sometimes, people just don't like to talk to strangers.
Or like I said before...she's laid off...she obviously has kids to be taking care of, and then some random lady comes sidling up, trying to chat. Maybe she just didn't want to.

And I don't think I have to live in LA to understand. Discrimination against natural BW by other BW is not something that only happens in LA. I've seen it in lots of other places too with my own eyes. Once, I read this blog (I don't remember the name), but it had stories from natural ladies who had relatives, friends, SOs, bosses, and random strangers off the street being mean to them because of their hair. It really is a global issue...not just an LA thing.

This just doesn't smack of it to me, especially if she warmed up after a bit. Generally, people who don't like natural-haired people aren't going to talk to or be kind to you unless you cease to be a natural-haired person.

I don't want to fight or anything, but I just want to understand why this woman deserved to be put on blast on LHCF.

BlkOnyx488

I know this lady that took her polyester suits to the dry cleaners:lachen::lachen:
I told her I am a wash and wear kinda of chick. She rolled her eyes like eww. I went to her Apartment and discovered she had ROACHES:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Don't act like you better than me and you have house guest that don't pay rent, eat all your food and piss everywhere ewwwwwwwww:grin::grin:

But she's all that b/c she works for a Senator who she can't name:rolleyes:

Oh Dear lord yes. I have there too. Lot of my Dad's relatives I see this with SOME Habeshas that act like they are on top of the world when I am like look back home dude you were living in a Hut in Gojaam Berenda Don't act all like your arse is on your shoulder cause now you have a Toyota Camry and living an a Apartment in VA. Dial it back a bit dude.:lachen::lachen:America is the land of opportunity for everyone don't think you are better because you made it and someone did not make it as well.

Almaz

People still wear Polyester. Man I have not worn Polyester since 1976

I know this lady that took her polyester suits to the dry cleaners:lachen::lachen:
I told her I am a wash and wear kinda of chick. She rolled her eyes like eww. I went to her Apartment and discovered she had ROACHES:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Don't act like you better than me and you have house guest that don't pay rent, eat all your food and piss everywhere ewwwwwwwww:grin::grin:

But she's all that b/c she works for a Senator who she can't name:rolleyes:

Dani.Nicole

Imma need you to speak in the third person when referring to something other than yourself! lol Speaking in second person threw me off and I swear I had no clue what you were talking about until now :lachen:

BlkOnyx488

Apparently it's ok as long as you take it to the $1.75 dry cleaner every 3 months.
Let me stop talking about that woman, it might snow if I don't shut up
People still wear Polyester. Man I have not worn Polyester since 1976

Kash

and maybe she didn't appreciate some random woman invading her privacy while she is alone with her children. for all she knew you could have been there to divert her attention while your partner in crime steals a kid or snatch her purse or something like that.:ohwell:

chebaby

i hate to say this as i am not one to mention things like this, but i have noticed lately that lhcf makes some members think everyone cares about your hair. not saying the lady wasnt rude but it may not have anything to do with your hair. not everyone cares that you are natural, or have short hair, or are wearing a protective style, or wearing a weave.
i am 100% natural and ive had people tell me they didnt know i was natural even though i was rocking twists that curled at the ends and were puffy at the top. most people really dont care.

NaturalPath

Maybe she wanted to pay 100% attention to her kids.....cause you know how kids are, 1 brief moment and they can be snatched away!

If that was me I probably woulda gave you the cold shoulder as well, just so I can watch my kids