"I don't work on Sundays"

tarheelgurl

This is what this dude (not SO or anyone important) told me last week. He said that my car needed washing, and since we were all going to his house that Sunday, I told him that he could wash it then.

To which he replied, "I don't do any work on Sundays". I was like 'cool' and let it go. Fast forward to Sunday, this fool puts back 6 beers in less than 1 hour. I would call that over indulging in alcohol.

He won't wash a car, vacuum his house or wash a dish on Sundays but he will get twisted face drunk on a Sunday.

Is he being a hypocrite? IMO he is.
What do you all think?

tarheelgurl

I didn't want to be so critical but he was coming off with that 'I don't work on Sundays so I am holier than thou are and you should respect me'. Seriously, that was his attitude. :ohwell:

kayte

Being christian is a journey. Pray for him.
Blessings!
Co-signing.
a few more thoughts
not cleaning is consistent with trying to keep Sabbath and if it's observed that his house is uncleaned on that day and won't wash your car...on Sunday...personally I'd respect that..and simply ask for an alternate day

Especially...
if this is being done as a favor as there's no mention of pay and he's not a bf or SO?

As for the drinking ....not condoning alcoloholism..but my understanding
of getting consistently drunk...is that no one does that for pleasure
it's usually out of a misplaced idea of coping with tremendous pain.

I didn't want to be so critical but he was coming off with that 'I don't work on Sundays so I am holier than thou are and you should respect me'. Seriously, that was his attitude.

that IS annoying... but you can take the high road ....clearly he is in some kind of pain and no one wants to admit that...so people will try to save face in other areas....

thank God you are not dealing with issues as he does

Last edited:

tarheelgurl

a few more thoughts
not cleaning is consistent with trying to keep Sabbath and if it's observed that his house is uncleaned on that day and won't wash your car...on Sunday...personally I'd respect that..and simply ask for an alternate day

Especially...
if this is being done as a favor as there's no mention of pay and he's not a bf or SO?

that IS annoying... but you can take the high road ....clearly he is in some kind of pain and no one wants to admit that...so people will try to save face in other areas....

I wasn't mad at him or anything about the car washing bit, I was just taken aback that he would follow the bible laws so closely as to not do any work on the Sabbath, BUT would get sloppy drunk like that is just fine to do.

Bubblingbrownshuga

This is what this dude (not SO or anyone important) told me last week. He said that my car needed washing, and since we were all going to his house that Sunday, I told him that he could wash it then.

To which he replied, "I don't do any work on Sundays". I was like 'cool' and let it go. Fast forward to Sunday, this fool puts back 6 beers in less than 1 hour. I would call that over indulging in alcohol.

He won't wash a car, vacuum his house or wash a dish on Sundays but he will get twisted face drunk on a Sunday.

What do you all think?

Tar, yes, that is hypocritical and yes, we are all on our own personal journey when it comes to our relationship with God. Is he approachable? If so, question his logic on this issue.:yep:

divya

Wait, but did he say that he didn't do work on Sunday for religious reasons?

Providing religion is the basis for his statement, some Lutherans keep Sunday like Sabbath, as do certain others faiths. That he may suffer from other issues does not necessarily make him a hypocrite. Just because he has an alcohol problem, that doesn't mean he should wash your car against what he believes to be right. If that was the case, then none of us should really bother following anything because we all have areas in our lives we need to work on.

gone_fishing

a few more thoughts

Especially...

The Sabbath is on Saturday. :perplexed

PaperClip

What do you all think?

No. He's lazy.

And the Bible says a man who doesn't work doesn't eat....

Do you cook for this dude?:look:

And another point: this has less to do with Sabbath observance and more about this man's capacity to ACT. He TOLD you you needed your car washed. Please. Don't just talk about it... BE about it.... if you observe the car needs washing, then WASH IT or GO GET IT WASHED and bring me back a shiny car.

And another thing: :grin: if dude is so concerned about not working/washing the car on the SABBATH, TAKE THE CAR TO A CAR WASH!!!! They're open on Saturdays AND Sundays!

Another example of OKEY-DOKE. I do not tolerate lazy men.

Last edited:

divya

No. He's lazy.

And another point: this has less to do with Sabbath observance and more about this man's capacity to ACT. He TOLD you you needed your car washed. Please. Do just talk about it... BE about it.... if you observe the car needs washing, then WASH IT or GO GET IT WASHED and bring me back a shiny car.

And another thing: :grin: if dude is so concerned about not working/washing the car on the SABBATH, TAKE THE CAR TO A CAR WASH!!!! They're open on Saturdays AND Sundays!

Yep! :lachen: :lachen:

My first thought was that it didn't sound like religion has anything to do with it, and the man was just on some nonsense!

tarheelgurl

No. He's lazy.

And another point: this has less to do with Sabbath observance and more about this man's capacity to ACT. He TOLD you you needed your car washed. Please. Don't just talk about it... BE about it.... if you observe the car needs washing, then WASH IT or GO GET IT WASHED and bring me back a shiny car.

Nooooo, its not like that at all. There is not alot of interaction between us at all. He is someone I knew from school and we have at best a distant friendship.

tarheelgurl

Tar, yes, that is hypocritical and yes, we are all on our own personal journey when it comes to our relationship with God. Is he approachable? If so, question his logic on this issue.:yep:

That was my point, that his logic is off. Why is one Bible law easier for him follow than others? I mean why not try to observe more than one instead of hanging on to one rule you can follow, and using that to make himself look shiney and new while he downs 5 beers?

divya

Modern-day Christians (except SDAs and a few others) observe it on Sunday.

Do most other Christians refer to it and observe it as such? In my experience, I've heard very few Sunday goers call Sunday the Sabbath, but rather "the Lord's Day." Does your church?

I went to a Baptist school for 6 years and don't ever remember any teaching on Sabbath observance there and doctrine was definitely taught there.

BTW, there are hundreds of Christian groups that observe the Sabbath (Saturday), but still are a minority as far as numbers are concerned.

Last edited: