I feel like I have tried everything... 3c low density, need moisture in my mop!

curlytwirly06

So the title says it all. I wonder if I am not using the right products for my hair type of something. I have used deep conditioners from Aubrey organics, shea moisture, silk dreams, kanechom, Paul Mitchel, jane carter, Giovanni, redkin, joico and various salon brands. I even brought a steamer. I still cant find a deep conditioner that after washing leaves me with super moisturized hair. I have plenty of deep conditioners that give me so-so results, nothing to rave about, but nothing that gives me really good deep conditioning. I have tried enriching them with oils, aloe, etc but still nothing. Can anyone help me with suggestions? I have burned through so much cash by buying anything that promises to work. Now winter has hit and my hair is taking a blow. Any help on deep conditioner would be awesome.

KaramelKutie803

What are you using to moisturize with after deep conditioning? And are you using a leave-in conditioner. One other question is do you know the porosity of your hair?

PatTodd

I think your issue is with sealing. I went back to good old fashioned hair grease as a styler over leave in on my wet hair, and my curls have never been happier. I actually alternate between heavy and light Dax and my hair sucks it right up, curls look plump and moisturized. My curls are a very tight, defined 3c/4a.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I think you start baggying for a few hours in the evening (to see if it helps).

Spritz your hair with some kind of liquid. Use a Moisturizer and an Oil and cover head with a Baggy.

See if that will help restore moisture.

faithVA

So the title says it all. I wonder if I am not using the right products for my hair type of something. I have used deep conditioners from Aubrey organics, shea moisture, silk dreams, kanechom, Paul Mitchel, jane carter, Giovanni, redkin, joico and various salon brands. I even brought a steamer. I still cant find a deep conditioner that after washing leaves me with super moisturized hair. I have plenty of deep conditioners that give me so-so results, nothing to rave about, but nothing that gives me really good deep conditioning. I have tried enriching them with oils, aloe, etc but still nothing. Can anyone help me with suggestions? I have burned through so much cash by buying anything that promises to work. Now winter has hit and my hair is taking a blow. Any help on deep conditioner would be awesome.

What are you washing your hair with?

curlytwirly06

What are you using to moisturize with after deep conditioning? And are you using a leave-in conditioner. One other question is do you know the porosity of your hair?

Thank you for replying!
Right now I am using silk dreams vanilla silk and/or shea what! I picked up some more Aubrey just to have something on hand but none of the conditioners I have used have given me really good moisture. I have low porosity hair ( i did the sink or float test)

I think your issue is with sealing. I went back to good old fashioned hair grease as a styler over leave in on my wet hair, and my curls have never been happier. I actually alternate between heavy and light Dax and my hair sucks it right up, curls look plump and moisturized. My curls are a very tight, defined 3c/4a.

Thank you! The problem is, I was getting most of my moisture from my leave in and not my deep conditioner. My hair was / is dryer from sub-par deep conditioning. I have a really good leave in that is great for my hair ( shea moisture yucca and boabab) but I dont want to get most of my moisture after a wash from my leave in instead of deep conditioner. I also seal with hemp seed oil which my hair loves.

almond eyes

Sounds like your hair is porous, you may need to be wetting your hair several times a week and using a leave in afterwards to lock in the moisture. If you have longer hair you may also need to wear protective or low maintenance styles to help preserve the moisture.

Best,
Almond Eyes

curlytwirly06

I think you start baggying for a few hours in the evening (to see if it helps).

Spritz your hair with some kind of liquid. Use a Moisturizer and an Oil and cover head with a Baggy.

See if that will help restore moisture.

Thanks for answering! I do braid-outs so I dont usually baggy throughout the week, but I will try it!

What are you washing your hair with?

I dont have a specific shampoo. Right know I am using a cream cleanser called evercurl hydrocharge shampoo. It works well for me.

Have you tried clarifying your hair? Your strands may have buildup.

I had a set back a few months ago because I was clarifying to much. Like using this clarifying shampoo every week. I usually clarify about once a month now.

faithVA

Thanks for answering! I do braid-outs so I dont usually baggy throughout the week, but I will try it!

I dont have a specific shampoo. Right know I am using a cream cleanser called evercurl hydrocharge shampoo. It works well for me.

I had a set back a few months ago because I was clarifying to much. Like using this clarifying shampoo every week. I usually clarify about once a month now.

Well if you are low porosity you really want to pay attention to the ingredients in your products. Using cones, coconut oils, waxes, lots of polyquats can inhibit absorption. So if you use them in your shampoo then your conditioner will just sit on the hair. If you use them in your conditioner then your leave in isn't as effective.

Ann0804

This used to be me and I would co wash 2-3 days a week to try to get rid of the dryness. I've been using the q Redew hand held steamer and that has been a game changer for me. My hair is well hydrated, soft, shiny, and easy to style. My hair is low porosity as well.

PJaye

When my hair lacks moisture, the most likely culprits are:

- A failure to clarify/chelate
- A lack of adequate protein
- A porosity issue

The hair cannot accept and retain the moisture it's been given without having a clean, impediment-free slate (clarifying/chelating) and strength (certain proteins) in a manner that meets the needs of their hair's current porosity level, e.g., a person with high porosity hair + frequent cowashes + sporadic protein treatments + light sealing = complaints of dry, breaking hair.

IMO, knowing your hair's specific properties is a crucial first step in identifying and addressing its needs. So, how porous or non-porous is your hair?

curlytwirly06

When my hair lacks moisture, the most likely culprits are:

- A failure to clarify/chelate
- A lack of adequate protein
- A porosity issue

The hair cannot accept and retain the moisture it's been given without having a clean, impediment-free slate (clarifying/chelating) and strength (certain proteins) in a manner that meets the needs of their hair's current porosity level, e.g., a person with high porosity hair + frequent cowashes + sporadic protein treatments + light sealing = complaints of dry, breaking hair.

IMO, knowing your hair's specific properties is a crucial first step in identifying and addressing its needs. So, how porous or non-porous is your hair?

I second this inquiry.

Well, I put it in a glass of lukewarm water and it sat on top for hours. Other than the porosity test I dont know how to tell how porous my hair is. It seems to soak products in well....

I do use protein quite often every other week to every week. I started shampooing once a week verses every week but I am not sure if I am going to keep that up because it seems to be more drying.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Green-Housing for a few hours a night or overnight a couple times a week with the proper products might help you restore/retain some moisture.

PJaye

Well, I put it in a glass of lukewarm water and it sat on top for hours. Other than the porosity test I dont know how to tell how porous my hair is. It seems to soak products in well....

I do use protein quite often every other week to every week. I started shampooing once a week verses every week but I am not sure if I am going to keep that up because it seems to be more drying.

That hair test never worked for me. How I discern the porosity level of my hair is by analyzing its behavior and answering questions like:

- How long does it take to become fully saturated with water?
(if it takes a while for the hair to feel wet/seems like it repels water = low porosity; if it quickly or excessively absorbs water = high porosity; if it becomes saturated and repels the excess = normal porosity)

- How long does it take to become fully air dried after a wash-DC session?
(dries quickly = high; dries slowly = low; dries reasonably = normal)

- How does it respond to protein?
(easily becomes overloaded with protein/difficult to infuse moisture after protein overload = low; few protein treatments needed to maintain health and balance = normal; responds well to regular/high doses of protein = high)

- How long does it take to infuse moisture into your strands? Is it difficult or easy process?
(difficulty infusing moisture, easily retains moisture = low; easily accepts moisture, difficulty retaining moisture = high)

- What is the most effective method of DCing - with or without heat?
(heat is most effective = low; heat not necessary = high to normal)

Once you're able to figure out your hair's porosity, I believe all other issues will fall into place.

BranwenRosewood

That hair test never worked for me. How I discern the porosity level of my hair is by analyzing its behavior and answering questions like:

- How long does it take to become fully saturated with water?
(if it takes a while for the hair to feel wet/seems like it repels water = low porosity; if it quickly or excessively absorbs water = high porosity; if it becomes saturated and repels the excess = normal porosity)

- How long does it take to become fully air dried after a wash-DC session?
(dries quickly = high; dries slowly = low; dries reasonably = normal)

- How does it respond to protein?
(easily becomes overloaded with protein/difficult to infuse moisture after protein overload = low; few protein treatments needed to maintain health and balance = normal; responds well to regular/high doses of protein = high)

- How long does it take to infuse moisture into your strands? Is it difficult or easy process?
(difficulty infusing moisture, easily retains moisture = low; easily accepts moisture, difficulty retaining moisture = high)

- What is the most effective method of DCing - with or without heat?
(heat is most effective = low; heat not necessary = high to normal)

Once you're able to figure out your hair's porosity, I believe all other issues will fall into place.

Excellent list. The float test didn't work for me. I thought I was lo-po because my hair never sunk but my komaza consultation told me I was normal to hi-po.

krissyhair

I have similar hair to yours, 3C, fine strand, low porosity. I need to layer leave-ins to retain moisture. Imo, a deep conditioner is nice, but not enough. As an experiment, try leaving in some of one of your conditioners, layer over it with your normal leave in, then seal when your hair has almost dried completely.

Reactivate the moisture during the week with a spritz of water. Use more of your regular leave in later in the week if you need it.

A nice drenching in oil before you deep condition can help too.

southerncitygirl

curlytwirly06

The water in glass strand test has been debunked numerous times.
i suggest komaza care products if you need tons of moisture and do the loc method reversed to lco:

I do their protein strengthener 1-2 times a month, it makes your hair soft & strong and corrects porosity.

several times a week i mist ( your hair doesn't need to be soaked just a tiny bit damp) with califia spray (i dilute with 1-3 parts water) or the coconut spray, you can use the coconut serum /coconut lotion/ shea butter lotion and seal with oil (i use a mixture of whatever i have around the house)

if you need a referral code you can get samples mine is: T4ZJUSF2

It should also be noted they do hair analysis and she isn't pushy about using her products, she will tell you how to tweak your reggie.

Evolving78

I have tried all of those products/brands and they either contain a bunch of protein or just sit on top of my hair. And mixing oil with moisture won't penetrate anything. For some that do that, it adds slip, but won't give you the moisture you need. It is best to use protein free conditioners and moisturizers. Use heat for you deep conditioners. Steam or try the ghe method for an hour or two, then apply moisture and seal. Use protein when you do a protein treatment. Cowashing won't add more moisture to your hair if you are low porous. It will just create more buildup, and will result in dryness. Low porous hair needed to be penetrated with water or to be hydrated. Conditioners and moisturizers for low porous hair should make hair more flexible and soft, to prevent breakage. Heat opens up the cuticle to receive water and softening agents from the conditioner. Be careful about the products your chose, since you don't want them to create a coating and buildup. High porous hair needs those things to keep moisture in. That type of hair is like a sponge. Ours is more like leathers. You use moisturizing aids to keep leather soften and supple. If you don't, the leather will get hard, brittle, and crack. Up your water intake! It won't help the hair that you have now, but it will help your new growth. Use refreshing sprays to hydrate your hair throughout the day.

snookes

Hi I don't know if you have solved your moisture problem by now hopefully you have. But I had the exact same problem and it took me 8 months of deep conditioning twice a week to get my hair to feel soft and moisturised finally. I used Giovanni SAS as suggested in The Science of Black Hair Book.

I don't believe there is a holy grail product most suggested on LHCF are pretty good. Sometimes it just takes time and experimentation to find what works for you

Last edited:

snookes

I've just started sealing with grease and so far I am very impressed my hair is soft smooth and detangled like never before

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

Co wash.

Co wash at least every 3 days.

It changed my moisture game. I now cowash daily. I can't go a whole week without my hair feeling like tumble weed.

I co wash daily and deep condition after shampooing weekly.

And seal my leave in with an oil

krissyhair

Sounds like your hair is porous, you may need to be wetting your hair several times a week and using a leave in afterwards to lock in the moisture. If you have longer hair you may also need to wear protective or low maintenance styles to help preserve the moisture.

Best,
Almond Eyes

This is what I do. I spray my fine strand 3c hair with water at least 4x a week, use leave in and air dry. Works best at the end of the day when I come home and have a little time.