I finally got the hang of co-washing

yuriko

I first started co-washing when I began my journey, a month ago. at first I was shedding, had breakage, it seemed that the manipulation was killing my hair :wallbash:, I almost gave up, but I finally got the hang of it.

Now on days that I co-wash, I try to get the conditioner evenly through the hair, especially through the back. I pull my hair up and leave the con on for 5 minutes while I shower to make sure the con really penetrates, prefer to shower and let the bathroom steam up real good. I then very carefully and quickly detangle with my shower comb, but I dont comb the roots, very minimal combing for my wet hair

I put my leave in con, and moisturize and seal when the hair is 60-70% wet. I wait 10 minutes, and then again carefully detangle with my shower comb, I do comb the roots at this point, and voila, I have very little hair loss.

I know it sounds very simple and many people will say, "what?? is that a revelation?? But it took me a month to get the hang of cowashing. You have to be very gently on your wet hair, and just avoid manipulating it. Its not like back in the day when I washed my hair every other week, you know.

Please share if you have tips to improove the co-washing experience

gymfreak336

I use my fingers to help smooth out any big tangles after the conditioner has been sitting for a while right before I rinse out. When I am further along in a relaxer stretch, I don't comb my hair fully at all. I comb it just enough to get it into a bun and fully detangle it once a week.

almond eyes

I also started to co-wash since I returned to the States. So far so good. I like it at the moment.

Best,
Almond Eyes

25Nona

My hair tends to tangle something terrible, especially when I'm a couple of weeks post. After reading the boards I picked up a new technique and it's working wonderfully for me. What I'm doing now is sectioning my hair into braids before I wash and believe me it almost eliminates all the tangles which equals almost no hairloss.

cookie1

The hardest part is finding a good conditioner to co-wash with. I'm trying different ones and my first one is Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, it did a great job of moisturizing my hair. I can't wait until the next co-wash.

*fabulosity*

I feel you. At first I was turned off to the idea... "washing with conditioner?" what..that's crazy talk. Until I did it the first time and my hair dried soft and SUPER moisturized. When I co-wash and bun... I don't even have to put in any products... it just lays down. I use eithe Cantu Shea Butter leave in or Cantu Grow Strong; seal with Avocado oil and VOILA!! I wrap a scarf around it while I'm getting ready and take it off and it looks like perfect.

I definitely thank the ladies here for coming up with that. I know my freshly trimmed ends with last with me doing that 3-4 days a week.

ETA: I also find that I don't shed when using the OCT/MT when my hair has been cowashed. If I put it in dry; it's shed city... I forgot to put that I also put my MT/OCT in on my scalp before I bun and at night before I put my bonnet on.

CO WASHING works.

Hot40

I wanted to aske what do you recommend for co wash-- which products.
I need help in this area.

Toy

I Love Co washing,Yeah Thank you ladies for coming up with this One I have Been Doing it for 3 yrs Love It

yuriko

Funny enough I first heard of co-washing from a vietnamese friend of mine, then I heard it from an indian friend of mine, Mind you these women shampoo every other day, and co-wash the days in between. I just have a lot of issues with taking hair advice from anyone with different hair texture from mine. But 8 years later after hearing it on LHCF, all of a sudden, its this bright new idea, lol
but am happy am doing it

Anna9764

My hair tends to tangle something terrible, especially when I'm a couple of weeks post. After reading the boards I picked up a new technique and it's working wonderfully for me. What I'm doing now is sectioning my hair into braids before I wash and believe me it almost eliminates all the tangles which equals almost no hairloss.
That sounds like a great idea bign, I think I will try that one :yep:. My hair tangles bad. Thanks Anna