I have a black tie event on friday...these are my plans...Help!!

justnotsure

Ok, I have a formal event (black tie) this coming Friday. I have been wearing my hair in cornrow braids under my half-wig. I cannot wear my wig to this event because it is worn out! I really need to order some new ones and I haven't because I am getting ready to do a kinky curly install in about a week. Thus, my plan is to straighten and wear my hair out on Friday.

I am about 38-39 weeks post and I have a lot of new growth and my relaxed ends. My hair is now past shoulder length (almost APL), I'm thinking. :ohwell:

My plan is to shampoo and deep condition on Friday morning with a mixture of silicon mix, pantene breakage defense, honey and coconut oil. I plan on leaving condish in ALL day. Just putting on a plastic cap and then my half wig with a headband. Then do a quick wash (to get the oil out before I straighten) with a moisturizing shampoo. I am then going to use a little silicon mix leave in and spray my hair liberally with the aphogee green tea and keratin reconstructor leave in. Then blow dry, then add a little generic chi silk infusion on each section, then flat iron with my chi.

What do you guys think? :perplexed I am going for the swanggin' look for the evening. I haven't straightend in quite some time, so I am soooo skeptical about this new growth! I'm up for ANY suggestions! I have ALOT of products, so don't hesitate to suggest something. :feedback:

By the way...it's a really big event...and I am one of the hosts!
:club:

msa

If you have time I suggest you do your hair on thursday so that way if it doesn't turn out how you want it to, you still have time to fix it. You don't want to be frustrated about your hair and then not feel your best at a black tie event.

Or you could go pick up a cheap cute wig from the BSS to have as backup.

longhairlover

to get your roots straight you should use a straightening gel. that is if your going for the sleek look, I would blow dry with the pic attachment gently then go over the roots only with the boars head round brush or paddle brush then flat iron. at the drugstores there are a few straightening balms/gels etc they all work the same.

the moisturizing shampoo sounds good as the first step, then the straightening balm they always have heat protectant in them so don't worry.

this is what I do when I have that many weeks of newgrowth and I want to fake a permed look :) works like a charm.

justnotsure

What type of straightening gel have you used? I have never heard of this...do you use it on the entire length of the hair or just the roots? Do you have pics of this gel?

Honestly I wanted to BKT but I don't have time to order it and I didn't want my hair to be bone straight.

justnotsure

MSA you are so correct! I think I will have time after I finish the process to decide whether or not I like it. If I don't the BSS is right down the street and I absolutely will pick up a new cheapie half wig for the night!

Great advice. I'm nervous about doing it on Thursday though...I'm one of those people whose hair looks the best the day of and not the day after getting it done.

longhairlover

bed head had a good one of course discontinued.

Joico's silk results line has a blow dry creme that I use to love. and matrix sleek has an amazing one as well:

http://matrix.com/products/matrix_essentials/sleek_look/
I used the above products when I stretched for a year a while ago.

I apply it all over my hair, but a small amount comb through then blow dry add more if you need, even if you blow dry in small sections using a round brush you will get really straight hair especially the roots, use your dryers concentrator attachment for better results.

OR

to avoid bone straight but you want the roots to behave just do the round brush to your roots only instead of down the whole head. the pics I have on here that's the methods I used to get straight roots. the creams are light so you will still have fluffly hair that's not weighed down.

the straightening balms will also help in case if it's rainy outside helps to protect against humidity.

hth

What type of straightening gel have you used? I have never heard of this...do you use it on the entire length of the hair or just the roots? Do you have pics of this gel?

Honestly I wanted to BKT but I don't have time to order it and I didn't want my hair to be bone straight.

lilsparkle825

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT:

If you haven't straightened in a while, now is not really the time to be experimenting. I say go get it professionally done and TAKE YOUR HEAT PROTECTANT.

justnotsure

Thanks longhairlover...I'll have to check those products out!

Lilsparkle...that's the thing. I haven't been so long that I don't think my stylist would know what the heck to do with these two textures. Also, I think he is too rough with my hair! Also, if the event were earlier in the week, I would consider going to him, because he is at his "nice" salon near my house, but later in the week he is in "da hood" and I can't stand going over there! I guess I could make the sacrifice...

I'm so torn! I guess if I go to the salon, he can go ahead and trim my ends too huh?

lilsparkle825

Thanks longhairlover...I'll have to check those products out!

Lilsparkle...that's the thing. I haven't been so long that I don't think my stylist would know what the heck to do with these two textures. Also, I think he is too rough with my hair! Also, if the event were earlier in the week, I would consider going to him, because he is at his "nice" salon near my house, but later in the week he is in "da hood" and I can't stand going over there! I guess I could make the sacrifice...

I'm so torn! I guess if I go to the salon, he can go ahead and trim my ends too huh?
It depends on what kind of relationship you guys have. If he's the type to keep saying "you need a PERM!" then don't go. If you think he would be willing to listen to you and your requests, go to "da hood" :giggle:

I just made that suggestion because I had an urge to straighten about 6 weeks ago and by the time I finished my nape it had kinked back up. I had to go get it professionally done and I was glad I did. Oh yeah, I got a trim too, so go for it if you need one.

kasey

I kinda agree with the first response. If you are going DIY, please allow ample time to style so that you won't be running late or stressed out if something goes wrong. Can you at least DC Thursday overnight and do your hair first thing on Friday morning? Perhaps you can make a salon appointment for early Friday afternoon, just in case and cancel if all goes well on you own.

beana

I think your plans sound good overall depending how experienced you are blow drying and flat ironing. If you've done this before and have an established technique, I definitely encourage you to go for it!:yep:

justnotsure

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I could definitely deep condish overnight on Thursday night and try the flat iron method on Friday morning. Luckily, at the "hood" salon, I could call at anytime and get him to do it for me on Friday. I'll put him on pre-notice, just it case things go wrong. I am pretty experienced at doing my own hair, but that was before I had all of this new growth. I wear the front out and I get it pretty straight with my method, but I have never tackled the whole head since about maybe the 10th or 12th week of my transition.

Keep the comments coming. They are really helping me!

longhairlover

dont' fret your hair will come out nice whatever option you choose, it's not something that can be messed up it's an easy process. just because you go to a stylist doesn't mean it would be done right either or to your liking. you said your experienced and know your hair so do ya thang :)

the only thing you would be adding is a good balm to blowdry those roots, do a test run on a section of hair and see if you like the results good luck and have fun at your event.