I Made a Kinky/Curly Afro Wig! Please Tell me What You Think, & How I Should Style It

Which style looks best??

• All down/Afro with a parted bang(showing eyes)

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • All down/Afro WITHOUT a parted bang

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • All down with flower behind one ear

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • One side clipped up behind ear

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Half up...half down(with parted bangs)

Votes: 9 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ms. Martina

Hey ladies! I'm transitioning from long relaxed hair to natural, so I wanted to try a kinky/curly wig out to see what a natural fro would be like. So...I made a wig this week..yay! Everything is glued onto a stocking cap, so I can just slide it on and go whenever I want to wear it. It was my first time ever gluing tracks onto anything, but I eventually got the hang of it. I was initially unsure about the the results, but after watching my video and looking at pics of myself in the wig..I NOW LOVE IT...LOL.

I haven't actually worn it out in public yet, but I made a Youtube video last night and took pics in it as well. I think I might wear it out this week! Also, I wasn't sure what styles looked best, so I showed each style option in my http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQJDbjTOO8Youtube video and in the pictures at the end too. Can you guys look and tell me what you think of my wig, and which style you like best???

Here's the YT video, and there are a few pics at the end of the video.

Some pics are below as well, but I will be deleting them from this thread soon.

Thanks,
Martina :)

Last edited:

PPGbubbles

Re: I Made a Kinky/Curly Afro Wig! Please Tell me What You Think, & How I Should Styl

FYI you may get a better response by posting pics in the thread.

But I took a peak at the video....I suggest you finger separate the curls to look a little more natural. And I would just leave it all down, it looks fine other than that

Nice job for your first wig

AnjelLuvs

Re: I Made a Kinky/Curly Afro Wig! Please Tell me What You Think, & How I Should Styl

^+1, Agreed

FocusLady

You are so cute. Love the natural makeup look. I like it all down no part.

grow

FYI you may get a better response by posting pics in the thread.

But I took a peak at the video....I suggest you finger separate the curls to look a little more natural. And I would just leave it all down, it looks fine other than that

Nice job for your first wig

i agree...where are the pitchas?! :)!

manter26

I have the same hair sewn in right now. It definitely looks more natural finger combed. I went a little overboard and brushed it when wet and the curls didn't come back, so now I wear twist outs.

Ms. Martina

Just posted pics in the original post at the top of the thread. I also just uploaded 21 pics of the wig onto my fotki too :)

BonBon

Wow you are beautiful and the hair looks great! I like all the looks.

SouthernDimps

I think it looks great all the way down!! I wish I had the skills to do this lol

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey

I know you said you had a few issues making the wig but, I think, it turned out really cute! The different colors make it look like you got your hair colored and some sections are well defined while others seemed to have frizzed out so it looks natural.
I liked it most with a part in the bangs and the hair down or half up/half down. You have a very pretty face, and beautiful skin, don't hide it. :)
HTH

ellebelle88

All of the styles look great, the "half up, half down" style looks really realistic. The others looks really great as well. Shoot girl, are you taking orders? I'd love to rock this! lol.

GL925

It's cute. :)

Jetblackhair

The wig is smokin' in any style! I love the colors and you are absolutely beautiful.

kandiekj100

So, they did away with the thanks/thumbs up botton?

You're hair looks really nice. Like pp said, separate the curls out more. And I think a little frizz (just slight) will help it look even more realistic. Good job!

Aggie

ITA, definitely no parts. By the way, you are stunning Ms. Martina and you look a lot like one of my favorite cousins:yep:.
You are so cute. Love the natural makeup look. I like it all down no part.

LayneJ

You are so pretty!

The colors really flatter you, and I think the hair looks best all down.

toinette

Tricking the president

you are really pretty and that wig looks great. the coloring goes really well with your skintone

naturalmanenyc

I love it all down, no part. I have Bohemian curl in my hair right now (Freetress).
The colors are very flattering. I use # 2 and # 4/30 but now that I see the # 1b/27 and # 4/27 combo, I may try that next.

Bettina

I think your hair looks nice all around but I really like it all down. Very nice pics by the way. :)

quest1

Great job !!! You look great. How did you deal with the closure at the top????

I want to make one so baaaad!!

Distorted Barbie

Girl that's very cute...I voted all down with no part

omachine

i hate wigs but this is too too adorable!!!

danigurl18

Gorgeous!!! I think it looks great all ways so I didn't vote.. I'm in the middle of making one right now.. any tips??

Last edited:

Ms_CoCo37

Looks gorgeous on you! That was a great first attempt!

beautyaddict1913

I pretty much voted for photos #2 and #4, down with a part....I luv it....did u make a video saying how you did it and what type of hair you used?

Platinum

Very pretty! I like it!

Mizz Diamonds

It really suits you, looks a little like Rachel True.

MadisonK

You have some skills! I like the it when it's all down the best. It's very becoming to you.

Ms. Martina

@Everyone,

Thanks ladies for all of the feedback! It seems as if "all down" is the winner right now...lol. I have to admit that I was a bit unsure when I filmed the video, but the look has grown so much on me. I felt like Esperanza Spalding or Rachel True when I was in the wig last night taking pics haha. I went to the movies with hubby today, and I was going to wear it there but then I thought my big hair might upset the person behind me. So...I just decided to wait on wearing it out. I posted an album on facebook today, and my friends love it. That is very encouraging too!

I'm glad the coloring actually turned out okay too. I just started experimenting with lighter colors this summer via wigs. I've always had 1b/off black hair and I'm way too chicken to dye my real hair and risk damage. Also, I was initially worried that light colors would be too much since some people seem to think dark girls can't wear lighter browns and blonde tones. So far, all of my lighter wigs have received tons of compliments though. So I guess they actually work with my skin tone. Which is kind of cool since I've always worn my hair one color. It is nice to try something new.

As far as the bangs go, I was nervous about wearing them since my face is chubby. Even when I was skinny, I still had chubby cheeks lol. I had bangs about 6 years ago and hated them. Everyone else loved them, but I felt so paranoid with my chubby cheeks and bangs. I quickly grew them out and never looked back. IDK, maybe this could be my chance to give bangs another try and see if they grow on me. Your opinions have definitely made me feel better about it ladies. Thanks again!

@Aggie, We could be related. I have a hugeeee family. Over 15,000 relatives in my state just on my mom's side of the family alone. So...you never know :)

@quest1, when I got to the last part I cut the hair off the weft. I then dipped the ends in a small amount of glue and then stuck the hair on the wig. I was being a bit dramatic about the closure in the video, but it actually came out fine doing this method. You can't see the tracks or glue at all.

@danigurl18, My advice would be to make sure you don't glue the wefts too close. That way you don't use too much hair. It was my first time gluing tracks, so I made the mistake of gluing them too close and I used too much hair. I ended up having to go in and cut tracks out just to make the wig look normal again.Also, I don't have combs/clips in mine, but you might wanna think about sewing a couple in(or just use bobby pins). Oh...and be sure to spray a dab of spritz on the glue and press down on the tracks. You might want to dry each part for a few secs with a handheld blow dryer on the track using low heat too. This helps the tracks adhere to the wig cap. You don't have to spritz the actual hair...just the track/weft part that is being glued on.

@beautyaddict1913, thanks, my video is on youtube click here.

Last edited:

grow

thank you for posting the pitchas!

stunning job, you really did wonderfully!!!

congratulations!!!