I need an honest opinion on this hairstyle!

It sounds a little like old school Mae Jemison to me. It could work if you work it! Just promise not to be scared to cut the bangs too if it looks funny.

I just keep thinking of Damon Wayans as the gay dude on In Living Color- bald with a curly bang. :nono: A twa with a bang just seems to be in the same category.

I've seen some girls at my college doing a curly do with bangs and they look decent pulling it off. It's not a complete disaster as everyone is prone to think. Of course I never seen ones with side bangs so I don't know how it'll stay. You'll have to pin it or something. If you had more length it may be do able but with your new growth coming in from the bangs it'll be more hassle than it's worth. Do what your secure in if you don't like it you can bc that part off to.

I agree with JCoily: I think it'll look weird/crazy. You'll look like you got stuck in the middle of morphing from one person to another.

I agree with JCoily: I think it'll look weird/crazy. You'll look like you got stuck in the middle of morphing from one person to another.

LMAOO @ weird slash crazy

It wouldn't look good with two textures IMHO. I have seen a fiyah look where people shave down a large portion of their hair and have bangs or the appearance of a bob on one side (also seen this on ANTM) but never with processed and unprocessed. It sounds like a random idea.

I agree with another poster, if you are going to BC anyway you have nothing to lose by leaving out a piece of hair and seeing what it looks like.

If this is what the OP means it's go look crazy as hell. :nono:

But you know what? One of the girls on the LHCF logo has what you're talking about. See?^ She has afro pulled back with a headband and straight swooped bangs and she looks cute...but she's a cartoon...IDK:perplexed

I'm not sure if you guys are trying to be funny but I can't stop laughing at ya'lls comments. I am just :lachen::lachen::lachen:.

Okay, OP, I think you should give it go, why not? If it looks crazy, cut them off and keep it moving. But perhaps you just aren't quite ready to bc, I would wait it out a few more months or I'd be prepared to use heat on my hair to get that cute Rihanna look.

This is the closest thing I can find, but I've seen people with that style. My aunt had hair like that once, she had a really edgy way about her though and it did suit her well. I'd say only try it if you think you'd be ready to cut the bang if it looks bad.
weaveless1.jpg

pink_kelis_400x300.jpg

Last edited:
I loved that show! Her hair was pretty cool. OP is this what you mean ^^^.
Sort of, but my bangs look nothing like hers lol.
My bangs look like Rihanna's in the pic that another lady posted on this thread. Only a tad longer.
But yes, that is a little bit of what I mean. It looks very dated on the degrassi girl because it's a 90's pic.

OH ok I see but what's up the the bangs OP? Why are you holding on to them? Is it a punk thing? Or are you just hanging on to it because you like the cut of the bangs? If it's a punky kind of style I say go for it! But if you're just hanging on to some bangs because of the the look of the bangs and not the whole look of your entire head, get rid of it. Do like the barber did eddie murphy's silly long braid in coming to america. :lachen:
I like my bangs, I have had them my entire life. I am not mainly a punky dresser, I have many styles of dressing, so I'm sure that I could incorporate it into my wardrobe. My favorite part about my hair IS my bangs lol. I want to BC so bad, but I LOVE my bangs!! So I am just trying to find a way to meet my wants in the middle.

Nah. I've seen it on white girls before, but the hair texture was consistent all around. Just like in the previously posted Rihanna pic, the hair textures is the same. I don't think it'd look good with kinky-curly hair in the back and straight bangs unless you were going for a gothic or eclectic type of look. I could see it if you flat ironed the natural hair and made it spiky..that'd be funky and cool. Sorry...honest opinion with no side-stepping.

It might look a bit strange with two different textures going on IMO. Maybe just wait a little longer before you BC.

I think if your hair was the same texture you could pull it off better, than relaxed bangs and coily bc or if your were just shaving the sides down or something like that.

My over all feeling is don't do it, it probably won't look right. Maybe transition longer. Good Luck whatever your decide.

I've yet to see any hairstyle that combines natural kinky hair with bone straight relaxed hair that looks good. And you are still transitioning the bang, so it'll be nappy at the bottom, and just random thin strands of straight hair hanging off the ends? :look:

Do you plan on keeping the bangs once you are fully natural? If so, how do you plan on styling them, because kinky hair doesn't usually 'swoop' unless it's pressed straight.

Personally, I think that if you want to keep the bang that badly, you might want to reconsider BC'ing..... because to be honest, that style sounds like a hot mess. :look: Sorry.

I dunno..maybe like Muffinz said you could wear a hat. Thats the only way I could see it working out for me...but I def. wouldnt want to wear a hat all the time.

Now..Maybe you could get like..an inverted bob type look..but Keep it stacked like in the back? So..you'd bc the back maybe up to the top of your ears? and keep a little length from that point up..and maybe do braidouts or lots of curly styles with the relaxed ends and natural roots..so that it blends better.

I dont know if that makes sense or sounds like it would look good..but what Im picturing, it looks better than it sounds, promise. lol

that doesn't sound good at all. i say chop the bangs off too if you are going natural all the way. the only way i wouldn't cut the bangs would be me adding braid extentions to my hair or a weave.

Sorry I'm doing such a horrible job at explaining this!
I mean cutting all of the relaxed ends off of my hair which is everything but one inch of my hair. My bangs would not be cut, which would leave me with a TWA and side bang. Does this make sense?

Look at it this way... you could always BC and leave the bangs. Then, if you decide the bangs look silly, BC those too and just wear a TWA.

Last edited:
Back