I need HELP! How to Stay TV Ready but, Keep my natural Healthy Hair Practices?

I have invested one Good strong year of healthy hair care practices.. I big chopped and have been natural since NOV/2008.

I have been struggling to start my career as a tv news reporter since I graduated college in MAY 08. I recently had a promising interview. But, this bussiness is highly competitive and I know I have to be TV ready at all times. Growing out natural hair for me meant not being fly 100% of the time.
For the interview I straitend my hair and it looked decent enough. But, if I'm hired I can't straighten on a regular and retain legnth. I'm just starting out so I don't have the clout or the balls to be on the tube nappy. (It would be nice but, there is a reason we only recently seen Oprah's real hair texture)
I bought a lace front but it doesn't look natural enough for me to be comfortable and confident.

I can wear weaves and retain legnth if I am really carefull and pay close attention to my hair. But, I know my hair will need a break at some point. what do I do during the break?

PLEASE help especially you ladies who have done a good job of retaining w/ weaves? If you check out my fotki I think I go into more details. PLEAZE give advice and leave comments..
http://members.fotki.com/AshleyShavonne/about/

LadyPaniolo

Well, during weave breaks you could wear a half wig. You could rollerset your leave-out area to get it smooth and straight. Wigs are the answer to so many hair problems, lol :infatuated:

Filmatic

I think the lace front does look natural. You could also try a wig with braid.
That way you can wear it onscreen and then take it off when at home. Actresses do that all the time. Good luck!

SelahOco

If you get a good flat iron, your press can last for two weeks. Can you afford to have it professionally straightened weekly, or twice a month?

If you're not going to wear your hair curly for TV, you can still grow your hair and benefit from being natural - and you don't have to worry as much about heat training (or heat damaging) your hair.

What kind of climate do you live in?

BlkOnyx488

what about soft fabric headband half wigs?
Sorry I couldn't post a pic of the wig they have right click disabled on the site
http://www.bestwigoutlet.com/Headband-Wigs-Smitten.html

You can just use some IC gel for the front of your hair and rock this wig with some cute earrings
I think I might by one too LOL
I use to wear head band wigs all the time when I wasn't comfortable wearing my TWA in public

ETA:
Here's a headband wig I made when I had a TWA

Last edited:
If you get a good flat iron, your press can last for two weeks. Can you afford to have it professionally straightened weekly, or twice a month?

If you're not going to wear your hair curly for TV, you can still grow your hair and benefit from being natural - and you don't have to worry as much about heat training (or heat damaging) your hair.

What kind of climate do you live in?

It is extremly humid here in the south...right now my hair is still flat ironed and I did bantu knots tonight.. I will see if this could get me through week three...If it does last three weeks I will be impressed b/c I didn't do the best flat ironing job.. I don't trust any stylist in this area not to burn my hair.. They tend to take one look at my 4a hair and heat that hot comb up to 400 + degrees. My grandmother bought me an instyle.. I will try that and see if it can get me through 4 good weeks.. I hate not being able to wash my hair but whatever works
Thank you for the advice!