I use heat frequently and my hair is still growing like a weed....

Dove56

I know heat is supposed to be bad for you hair BUT my hair is still growing fast even with heat. :yep: I LOVE LOVE LOVE my flatiron (Red Chi Ultra) and I use it in Salerm 21 leave-in and Sabino Moisture Block. My hair is very strong (I have Native American grandparents - doesn't every black person...lol) and I don't have any split ends. I've been conditioning weekly with ORS and I sometimes use Tressemme' Anti-breakage (gelatin/keratin) to keep it strong but it's thriving still. I'm going all the way back to waist length with my flatiron in my hand. :grin: Has anyone experienced this!?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I need that dang Sabino Moisture Block, let me have urs LOL, where can I find it at?

thinkpinkprincess

funny you posted this because I was JUST thinking about how I didn't think that heat was so bad for hair! I need to try the sabino moisture block lol

TrustMeLove

I am hoping to do you in a minute too. I love my napps but these single strand knots and butterfly knots are beginning to be too much. I am constantly in my hair snapping them. I think I might want long hair and I have a feeling that a new transition is something I need right now.

I went nappy and personality jump occured. I became extremely fly. Now I think I need to walk the line flat iron and semi nappy. Maybe I will be too hot to handle at that point.

titan

I see that you 're using heat protectant on your hair. That will protect hair from serious damage. I don't think heat is bad thing to use heat as long as you take preventive measures to protect your hair.

Dove56

I think the heat protectants are key. I'm currently transitioning, but when I was 100% natural last year I used to flatiron with Kemi Oyl and I didn't know why I had so much breakage!! It wasn't until I read on LHCF about the importance of using silicones that I really noticed a difference. I *hate* rollersetting but I love flatironing.

PinkSkates

I'm happy that you found a regimen that keeps your hair healthy; and that you're able to use heat and maintain your length. I use heat on my natural hair regularly and do just fine too. It's all about finding what works for your hair and using healthy hair care practices.

Dove56

I'm happy that you found a regimen that keeps your hair healthy; and that you're able to use heat and maintain your length. I use heat on my natural hair regularly and do just fine too. It's all about finding what works for your hair and using healthy hair care practices.

Your hair has grown so much Pinkskates! It is absolutely beautiful! You should be a model!:yep: I'm going back to natural for sure. My natural hair would've taken heat very well if I would've known about heat protectants instead of oil. :yep:

Dove56

:grin:
I need that dang Sabino Moisture Block, let me have urs LOL, where can I find it at?

It's the best thing since sliced bread, I love it! The only trick is knowing how much to use because you can end up weighing your hair down. I put my Salerm 21 in first then the Sabino. http://www.sabinohair.com/

You can even request a free sample. Prior to Sabino I used Chi Silk Infusion which I also loved. Sabino helps better with preventing reversion IMO.

msa

Using heat on the length of your hair does not affect how fast your hair grows out of your scalp.

Good to hear it's working for you. Start taking pics and give us an update after awhile.

Ediese

Hmm...I just posted about hating heat because of the damage to my hair (split ends) even if I use heat protectants. I might have to try the Sabino, maybe that might help.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
IMO I think there's a difference between using heat everyday and no protectant versus using heat 2-3 times a week with protectant. You have obviously found a good balance, good for you. :grin::grin:

I will use a flat iron (no blowdryer) if i don't feel like roller setting but that does not happen often.

Soliel185

I have found that as I transition, having a consistant texture to my hair through out really helps prevent knots, tangles, splits AND helps my hair retain moisture better b/c the cuticle is smooth and flat.

So I flat iron. The less knots and tangles I get, the less breakage I have, and the more length I retain. Now, I don't do it every week even, but I usually wear a protective style for 2-3 wks, DC and then flat iron like once a month. I will probably go back to this once I'm out of my sew-in. I find that b/c I do everything in very small sections while straightening, I don't lose a ton of hair, and I can better detangle the actual knot instead of ripping through a bunch of hair at once.

I also use SMB.

Allandra

I know heat is supposed to be bad for you hair BUT my hair is still growing fast even with heat. :yep: I LOVE LOVE LOVE my flatiron (Red Chi Ultra) and I use it in Salerm 21 leave-in and Sabino Moisture Block. My hair is very strong (I have Native American grandparents - doesn't every black person...lol) and I don't have any split ends. I've been conditioning weekly with ORS and I sometimes use Tressemme' Anti-breakage (gelatin/keratin) to keep it strong but it's thriving still. I'm going all the way back to waist length with my flatiron in my hand. :grin: Has anyone experienced this!?

I don't use (or even have) Sabino Moisture Block, but using heat on my hair has not done anything bad for it. As a matter of fact, my hair seems to be growing pretty fast. If it's working for you, keep right on doing it. :up: I know I'm going to continue on with it. :)

Allandra

I think the heat protectants are key. I'm currently transitioning, but when I was 100% natural last year I used to flatiron with Kemi Oyl and I didn't know why I had so much breakage!! It wasn't until I read on LHCF about the importance of using silicones that I really noticed a difference. I *hate* rollersetting but I love flatironing.
I'm also transitioning (at 56 weeks).

I haven't roller set my hair since February. Sigh. I may get back into roller setting (every once in a while) once I am totally relaxer free.

Allandra

I try not to use my flatiron more than 3 times a week. I like to use it to curl my hair. :yep: I will check out the thread. :yep:
I only use heat on my hair after I get it shampooed and deep conditioned. I never use the flat iron (or any heat) in between. So, I'm basically using my flat iron once every 10 to 14 days.

BillsBackerz67

I am hoping to do you in a minute too. I love my napps but these single strand knots and butterfly knots are beginning to be too much. I am constantly in my hair snapping them. I think I might want long hair and I have a feeling that a new transition is something I need right now.

I went nappy and personality jump occured. I became extremely fly. Now I think I need to walk the line flat iron and semi nappy. Maybe I will be too hot to handle at that point.
heat has elminated them. the only single strand knots that I have now are the knots that she has not trimmed out yet. I told her not to trim all of them at once. Im getting my next trim in March. They should all be gone then.

BillsBackerz67

I only use heat on my hair after I get it shampooed and deep conditioned. I never use the flat iron (or any heat) in between. So, I'm basically using my flat iron once every 10 to 14 days.
This is what I do, every 2 weeks....once I leave that salon I dont use any heat whatsoever until the next visit. Once my hair starts to get dirty per se, I just moisturize and pull it back in a loose bun daily until the next visit. I miss my WNG's but now they are only for the summer.

Dove56

Interesting... what is your current length, OP?

I am currently BSL. I had a trim (CUT) back in June and the lady cut off about 4 inches. I had a another trim (CUT) in September and I asked for a trim and she cut 3 inches (I've only been to this lady twice, I gave her the benefit of the doubt because I loved the layers, but I won't go back). My hair was a little below my shoulders after all the hacking. It's now layered and hovering around BSL.

My mom has very fine hair and her hair can NOT take it. She gets rollersets. My hair is medium/fine leaning more toward medium; that's the only thing I can attribute the strength of it to.

Dove56

Using heat on the length of your hair does not affect how fast your hair grows out of your scalp.

Good to hear it's working for you. Start taking pics and give us an update after awhile.

I know that. :yep: When I say it's growing, I mean that I am accumulating length, not growing hair faster out of my head. :ohwell:

Dove56

IMO I think there's a difference between using heat everyday and no protectant versus using heat 2-3 times a week with protectant. You have obviously found a good balance, good for you. :grin::grin:

I will use a flat iron (no blowdryer) if i don't feel like roller setting but that does not happen often.

That is so true! I got split ends all the time when I used the Kemy Oyl and I didn't know why. I was 100% natural at that time, so I never got a chance to use the heat protectants on my natural hair because I had already relaxed by the time I found out about silicones and heat damage.