I'm a Head-Case in Need of Help.

lovelymissyoli

I\'m a Head-Case in Need of Help.

I’m new to posting but lately I’ve been looking at various posts as well as many of your pictures of growth, transitioning, regimen, etc. I’ve noticed that many of you ladies have lovely hair that seems to look great either from a blow-out, letting it air dry, or whatever. I’m just wondering how you get your hair to look so...what’s the word…full??

It’s been about 20 weeks since my last relaxer and I don’t want to put another in for a very long time, I might even transition, who knows. But in the meantime how can I get my hair to look as beautiful as you ladies? I don’t blow dry my hair, but let it air dry, and when I wear it down in between braids it’s always so sticky and close together even after I let it air dry and press it. I don’t know why that is? Am I doing something wrong or putting something in my hair that doesn’t belong? Could it be because I haven’t had my ends trimmed in months because I’m afraid?

Since I started this forum about 2 weeks ago I’ve changed the way I take care of my hair, but coming up with a consistent routine is difficult for me since I don’t know what to use for my hair. I’m hoping the ladies from LHCF can be of some assistance. Any advice would be helpful.

inthepink

Re: I\'m a Head-Case in Need of Help.

I'd say if you need a trim, get one! It is best to start off with a freshly trimmed head of hair to begin your new regimen of taking better care of it. I am proof that it will grow back! Only healthier!

As far as fullness is concerned, I find my hair is a little stringy if I use too much oil when I straighten my hair (as my latest pictures prove).

Some of the ladies here just have "full" hair and I am sure they don't do anything special to get full hair...it just is. Others have their hair layered or just have thick hair.

I'm sure others have more advice for you. Good luck!

Tracy

Exactly what I was thinking....as far as the oil. Too much product will kill volume and fullness everytime. You're probably using to much product (oil, gel, leave in, conditioner, grease etc.). Try using less.

Isis

It could also be the use of heat - you stated you press your relaxed hair. Are you doing that each time you airdry? I'm just wondering because I gained more fullness when I stopped using heat.

TigerLily

Yes, I agree that you should get a trim. How often do you wash your hair and what do you put on it now?

lovelymissyoli

Right now I wash my hair once a week. I haven’t found a good shampoo or conditioner so I use Garnier Fructis. The only moisturizer I use is Luster’s Oil Pink Moisturizer. I know it’s not the best, but I don’t know what is. I don’t really experiment with products because I don’t know what to use. Also, I don’t press my hair every time I let it air dry even though I get tempted to do so since I don’t know how to style my nappy hair
. Most of the time I keep my hair in braids, washing and keeping it moisturized since I don’t know how to properly care for it. Any help on styling tips and products to use is greatly appreciated.