I'm begging, help me with the root cause & eliminate the knots.

It~Can~Grow

Ok ladies, I've asked this question before, but this time I'm begging because I really want to know.

The best low mani hairstyle (next to the bun) for my post 7 wks + post hair are twist or braid outs.

Problem, if I don't wash it out by day 2, day 3 I have knots towards or on the ends. Not every curl but enough.

Ok, let me tell you what I do.

- Day 1, take down the twists with grapeseed or liquid shea butter on my fingers. I unravel each twist from the bottom up.

At night I put on a bonnet and go to bed.

- Day 2, same oils on my fingers/hands now to freshen it up, I'm kind of finger combing the twists to add life and volume.

At night I put on a bonnet, may or may not add more oil (mostly not) and go to bed.

- Day 3, same oils and I try to finger comb and detect knots. I know I have shed hairs in the madness and that's catching on my hair, but.....

There is generally no day 3 because I actually detect a few knots day 2, but what am I doing wrong ladies?

Help, what is the secret to your successful - knot free - twist/braid outs? :scratchch I can't imagine this would be considerd a good protective style if other folks where catching knots and tangles like me :perplexed

Last edited:

newflowers

I can't really be much help because I'm a bun girl myself, but what about brushing/combing out and retwisting at night? It seems to be that the tangles and knots start after day two - why not just redo the style then?

**Jade**

I think that you prob need to retwist every night... that's my opinion anyway... my twist outs last longer that way

sheba1

Hey there, ItCanGrow. I wonder if you might be better off moisturizing the ends every night with a water based moisturizer and sealing with the oils that you currently use. Or maybe seal with something really heavy like castor oil or vaseline. Yes, vaseline! I don't seem to have any problems with knots in my twists and that's what I do.

Currently I'm moisturizing with either curl activator or my homemade brhingaraj/green tea/glycerine/aloe moisturizer and sealing with softee olive oil hair and scalp conditioner. I moisturize, seal and bun my twists til morning.

It~Can~Grow

Maybe the problem IS I'm just putting on a bonnet and thinking everything should be at peace overnight.

Darn it I AM lazy when it comes to hair and I was soooo hoping I wouldn't have to redo the twists every night (which is why bunning is my best friend-duo role :grin:) to avoid the knots.

Guess growing hair is work :lachen:

Thanks, Ladies.

discobiscuits

my 2c: try RusticBeauty's twist method. i worked for me. (i'm only posting 2 of the 5 videos because i'm only talking about how to twist and how to take the twists out i use my own products and wash method) go to her page to view more of her vids.

as for other methods/techniques, i'm not sure what to suggest. i'm natural and i rinse/cowash and airdry daily. my hair is also neck length so it is easy for me. i don't get knots (that i know of). after watching this vid (for like the umpteenth time) i'm going to STOP wishing for thicker hair LOL. RB's hair is sooooo *drool*

3/5 twist in (u can skip to about 2:30 sec): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kvbSDGwPs&NR=1
5/5 twist out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-KzbLBFTZo&feature=channel

justNikki

Maybe the problem IS I'm just putting on a bonnet and thinking everything should be at peace overnight.

Darn it I AM lazy when it comes to hair and I was soooo hoping I wouldn't have to redo the twists every night (which is why bunning is my best friend-duo role :grin:) to avoid the knots.

Guess growing hair is work :lachen:

Thanks, Ladies.

That's exactly what it is.

yodie

I have this same problem with knots. I wash once or twice weekly and wear my hair in cornrows underneath my wig.

Should I take my cornrows down each night to comb my ends?

Are twists better than cornrows to eliminate knots?

MAMATO

I rebraid every single night when I do braid-outs (6-8 big braids) otherwise my hair is a hot mess ... HTH :)