I'm goin to just shave my daggone head

Whimsy

cuz this detangling ish is driving me crazy.
i'm losing SO much hair and I want to cry.
I knew I'd have a setback, but not this bad.

I left twists (braided at the base) in my hair for almost 4 weeks, and basically neglected my haira for the duration.

I did it to myself....cuz now here I am trying to untwist/unbraid this dry *** tangley *** brittle *** evil *** hair...and it's just snap crackling knotting and popping...

GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

OK.
I'm done.

mscocoface

Okay rant over right? Don't you dare touch those scissors.

Just chock this up to learning a painful lesson. Come on you can do it.

Be sure to do a deep condition, hot oil and another deep condition when you get it all done.

Are your trying to untwist and unbraid on completely dry hair? If so, get the hair just a little misted or moist maybe add some oil and it may help some with the knoting and brittle feeling.

You can do this girl! :yep:

Blessed2bless

You're not alone Whimsy! How bad is it? Or are you just frustrated right now? If so.. wait a day or so and think things over before you do something you may regret later. When this happened to me, I use coconut cream and coconut oil mixed with Lekair conditioner and let it set overnight and comb it thru in the shower and it worked like a charm! Oh! I put it on like a relaxer. HTH

Platinum

:bighug:

Awww...don't shave your head. Your hair is always so pretty, Whimsy. I used Mane and Tail Detangling Spray earlier today while I removed my Senegalese Twist and that really helped.

locabouthair

Whimsy I went through the same thing last week. My hair knotted and matted so badly, my mom had to help me. It took me at least 4 hours to get rid of all the knots. Like you I neglected my hair. I though as long it was low manipulation I was ok, but never again I learned my lesson.

I used the mane and tial detangler and that helped somewhat but honestly you really just have to be patient. You will lose some hair. Shed hair and hair from breakage but try not to let it get you down.

Fhrizzball

Make sure you're taking them down when they're covered in oil or a creamy conditioner/leave-in. Your hair it too beautiful to shave off. Take your time and go slowly.

Shun34

I understand what you are going through. I agree with all the other ladies; oil and conditioner works. I use olive oil and sometimes nearly an entire bottle of Nature's Gate Aloe Vera conditioner to detangle my hair after it has been in twists. I detangle while my hair is dry using only my fingers. It usually takes an hour.

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland
Oh no you don't after transitioning for 2+ years to get that pretty curl. Take a deep breath, relax it will be alright.

tkj25

girl back away from the scissors. you can get through this. just stop. take some breaths. relax. you've come too far to just cut it all off from frustration. believe me i've been there before, & it's a b growing your hair back out. get your favorite conditioner, put it in, let it sit for a bit, & then start untangling your hair. keep a spray bottle handy in case a section dries out, but take your time & you can get through this.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Step away from those scissors. If you need to just put your hair in a bun and take a breather. When you're ready grab a bottle of conditioner, pop in a movie, and just take your time detangling.

beans4reezy

Girl stop, you have one of the loveliest heads of hair on this board. Just calm down and follow some of the tips in this thread- you will be alright.

tada1

Okay rant over right? Don't you dare touch those scissors.

Just chock this up to learning a painful lesson. Come on you can do it.

Be sure to do a deep condition, hot oil and another deep condition when you get it all done.

Are your trying to untwist and unbraid on completely dry hair? If so, get the hair just a little misted or moist maybe add some oil and it may help some with the knoting and brittle feeling.

You can do this girl! :yep:

what she said! don't you dare touch those shears :detective:

Whimsy

Girls,

I did it.
I just stopped.
It took me 2.5 hours to just untwist/unbraid (not even detangle yet!!!)
it had conditioner in it. and it was giving me hell.
i already lost a lot of hair just unbraid/twisting....
i just stopped and put on a scarf and went to bed.
i'm going to resaturate my hair with more conditioner and maybe send SO to the store for mane n tail detangler if this doesnt work.

I was really frustrated last night and i asked SO to shave my head. He said, "is this a trick question? no way! i'm going to bed" although i cursed him up and down i'm glad he refused.

this morning i'm going to start detangling and hopefully it wont take forever and i wont lose crazy amounts of hair.

Thanks for letting me vent ladies, I was seriously frustrated last night and wanted to just be done with it all.
Thanks for the responses. :)

darlingdiva

You're going to be fine, Whimsy!!!!

When you detangle, just make sure that you apply the conditioner/leave-in conditioner and oil very liberally.

You have a beautiful head of hair. You would've been pissed with yourself, and much more pissed w/ SO, if it was cut.

wannabelong

:bighug:I'm glad you took a time out and did not cut your hair. Round two will be much better. You can do it!!!!!

Last edited:

mscocoface

I started to tell you to get yourself in bed, because when I saw what time you posted I knew it had to be late, it was late in Cali.

A good nights sleep is always better when dealing with hair complications.

I am glad your hubby was there to keep it all in perspective. :yep:

Whimsy

I love you guys, lol thanks so much for the support.

It took me an hour but i just finally detangled and now it's in a bun shellacked with conditioner (thank u for your slip V05) and soon I'll wash and dc it. I'll DC it again tomorrow and Friday I'm going to get trimmed and colored.

@LadyPaniolo - yeah now i can laugh about it, he was a smart man!