i'm going on a journey...

hOnii

i\'m going on a journey...

... a hair growth journey. Since my big chop a few months ago, I've had to use daily heat to style my hair. Not much you can do with short hair without heat. That damaged my ends badly, so when I went to the hairdresser she gave me a well needed trim.. At first I was kinda mad, but now I'm enjoying the thickness at my ends. I didnt know anything about hair are a few months ago, but now with all the knowlege I've gained my hair forums like this, I'm starting over..doing things right!

The pics are in my album.

ps: any tips, or advice on growing long, healthy hair is appreciated!

Tracy

Re: i\'m going on a journey...

Your trim looks great! Congrats on deciding to take better care of your hair.

I know for some folks braids are a godsend - but for some, they are a real hinderance to progress because it's one step forward and two steps back. You put them in, you gain lots of length and retain it because you aren't manipulating your hair, and then you take them down and undo all the good that's been done and then you need a trim and you have shedding... Ugh. It can be hard to avoid too - I know from experience. I know you said you made a mistake when you took the braids out and forgot to comb before you washed and I'm sure you know what you're doing. But just be careful - that's a LOT of hair you lost. Reducing that kind of loss is what keeps the hair growing strong and healthy.

Take care!

hOnii

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I know you said you made a mistake when you took the braids out and forgot to comb before you washed and I'm sure you know what you're doing. But just be careful - that's a LOT of hair you lost. Reducing that kind of loss is what keeps the hair growing strong and healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know! i started crying when i saw that i couldnt comb it out and was gonna have a lot of hairloss. thats the first time ever i've lost all that hair! i have thin hair, so that is not good for me at all.

braids help me stay away from heat. i was using the curling iron DAILY and that killed my ends, so when i got a relaxer, whatever grew just had to be cut off b/c of the split ends.

ubavka123

You new style is cute.
Maybe you could resist the temptation to use heat on your shorter hair by doing roller sets? Your hair will dry faster definitely and you will still be able to maintain the style w/o heat until it grows out.

greAtness333

^DITTO...also, your new trim looks cute! I'm hoping that's about where I'll be when I take these micros out.

Innocent_Kiss

Like yourself, I've recently started taking better care of my hair, too. Set backs like that always happen. You can't truly know your hair if you don't have set backs. Set backs allow you to know whats good for your hair and what isn't. I recommend using quality styling tools, too. The use of cheap combs, brushes, and styling aids on a daily basis can hender your hair growth. I just ordered two Bone Combs from hairsense.com. You can find em' on ebay a tad bit cheaper, though. They are expensive, but they're also hand made, seamless, and quality. I have my hair in a sew-in right now so I can't really play around with 'em. I think it's a good investment toward a healthier hair regimen. Good luck on your hair journey

hOnii

[ QUOTE ]
Innocent_Kiss said:
Like yourself, I've recently started taking better care of my hair, too. Set backs like that always happen. You can't truly know your hair if you don't have set backs. Set backs allow you to know whats good for your hair and what isn't. I recommend using quality styling tools, too. The use of cheap combs, brushes, and styling aids on a daily basis can hender your hair growth. I just ordered two Bone Combs from hairsense.com. You can find em' on ebay a tad bit cheaper, though. They are expensive, but they're also hand made, seamless, and quality. I have my hair in a sew-in right now so I can't really play around with 'em. I think it's a good investment toward a healthier hair regimen. Good luck on your hair journey

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for that recommendation. i've never heard of bone combs before.. i justmay have to try that out.

hOnii

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
You new style is cute.
Maybe you could resist the temptation to use heat on your shorter hair by doing roller sets? Your hair will dry faster definitely and you will still be able to maintain the style w/o heat until it grows out.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks. see, the thing is, when i style my hair, i curl my hair in layers outwards. then when i get to the top, i do those banana peels (where its bumped up higher than the rest of my hair) to finish the style. i'm not sure how i'd go about doing that with rollers..

ubavka123

[ QUOTE ]
hOnii said:
[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
You new style is cute.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks. see, the thing is, when i style my hair, i curl my hair in layers outwards. then when i get to the top, i do those banana peels (where its bumped up higher than the rest of my hair) to finish the style. i'm not sure how i'd go about doing that with rollers..

[/ QUOTE ]

I see...I am totally clueless about this one. Maybe some rollersetting experts can help? Can you roll in the opposite direction? There has to be a way to acheive that. Can you ask your stylist for home maintenace tips as far as recreating the style without heat?

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
hOnii said:
[ QUOTE ]
Innocent_Kiss said:

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for that recommendation. i've never heard of bone combs before.. i justmay have to try that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have one and they are awesome on my hair. Hmm maybe you should put the heating appliances away out of your sight. That may help. I would suggest being bold and just throwing them away
....I did that and it helped. But that may not be the right thing for you. So far Ive been heat free for almost 4 months

hOnii

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
hOnii said:
[ QUOTE ]
Innocent_Kiss said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have one and they are awesome on my hair. Hmm maybe you should put the heating appliances away out of your sight. That may help. I would suggest being bold and just throwing them away
....I did that and it helped. But that may not be the right thing for you. So far Ive been heat free for almost 4 months

[/ QUOTE ]

i already know i cant do that! i'll just keep them around in case of an emergency..

i'm doing better with it now. i just do a wrap, and comb it into style in the morning.