I'm nervous, but I think a hot comb is the only way...hot comb vs. going to a salon

BrockStar

My hair will not obey the heat of a flat iron. I've upped the temp, used every method...doesn't work...so here are my options:

*Get it dont professionally, but then I don't have control

*Use a hot comb...after seeing pinkskates' tutorial, I feel a lot better...what do ya'll think?

The problem when my hair is straight is that it literally blows up when I'm done...like it'll look sooooo good as I'm flat ironing and then when it's all done...it is HUGE and doesn't even look good. So any advice on controlling the poofy straight hair would be welcom in this thread as well...thanks!

ajenee

Re: I'm nervous, but I think a hot comb is the only way...hot comb vs. going to a sal

Hi Brock, I am obviously not natural but have you tried Sabino Moisture Block. I love this stuff. I am 11 wks post right now and was going to relax again on next week. I am going to try putting it off longer now. SBM gets my ng straight w/no reversion. I live in S. Texas so it's pretty humid here, too. HTH:grin:

Forever in Bloom

Re: I'm nervous, but I think a hot comb is the only way...hot comb vs. going to a sal

I would recommend the Sabino MB, but I tried it on my hair 2 times and my hair still blew up to massive proportions :nono: I did decide though that when I want to straighten my hair - hopefully in December when I have my 1 yr anniversary since doing the big chop - I will have my stylist do it. (I've got 2: one natural, one relaxed). She styles my niece's hair and of course they're both natural and at waist length (one 4a and the other 4b) and their hair stayed straight for 2 weeks in this crazy humid Memphis weather.

My natural hair stylist wouldn't do it. I know I could practice, practice, practice doing it myself, but my hair will eventually get tired of that. That's why I have 2 backup stylists :yep:

I would try again, but if your hair is still raging against the heat, I would search for a professional to do it. I know a lot of us are diyer's, but you've got to make the choice that's right for you. But remember, look before you leap!

BrockStar

Thanks for the replies...what do ya'll think about the hot comb?

Riverwalk

I would really see a professional first.

Forever in Bloom

Thanks for the replies...what do ya'll think about the hot comb?

I know I didn't really answer your question, did I? :look: Based on the texture of your hair, I would be more apt to use a flat iron. A hot comb seems harsher for your head of hair, but it could also just glide on through and do its thing. You could always test it out on a small section of hair to see. Do you already own one - the plug in kind or the stove top kind? What are you using as a heat protectant? Did you ever see ladylibra's video on youtube for flatironing? She does a really good job in straightening.

ImFree27

i'm flat ironing my hair right now, well actually taking a break, and its coming out good, never come out this good. i'm using the chi and the chase method. I bought a chasing comb from wal-mart last night and it is really helping, i did one piece without using the comb and my ends were all frizz looking and it wasnt straight so then i used the comb and I only had to do one pass. i also put some big juicy rollers on my hair last night to get it mostly straight....

donewit-it

Hi Brockstar,

Everytime I see your hair I think of my own in regards to density.
I thought that Sabino was my answer to laying down this stuff of mine called hair:nono: It didn't work. Yes, it didn't revert for the few days I kept my hair straight via my maxiglide. But, it was a poofy mess, once completed. My hair is just TOO THICK. It will never look like a relaxer wrap unless, I get a hard press. BUT, I'm too scared. I would love to post pictures, but I can't get how to minimize the size of the photos I'm uploading. Once I get home I'll try it again just to show you the similarites in our hair. I think you may have a softer texture, but the mass of hair is ridiculous.:wallbash:

I was acturally thinking about getting a hard press professionally in September. (My next pass for LHCF Bootcamp)

Good luck to ya

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal

I used a hotcomb twice and my hair was still poofy.

BrockStar

i'm flat ironing my hair right now, well actually taking a break, and its coming out good, never come out this good. i'm using the chi and the chase method. I bought a chasing comb from wal-mart last night and it is really helping, i did one piece without using the comb and my ends were all frizz looking and it wasnt straight so then i used the comb and I only had to do one pass. i also put some big juicy rollers on my hair last night to get it mostly straight....

I did the comb chasing and the first piece looked GREAT....then when it was finished...a hot mess :nono: I can get it straight at the beginning but then it gets all crazy when its all done

BrockStar

Hi Brockstar,

Everytime I see your hair I think of my own in regards to density.
I thought that Sabino was my answer to laying down this stuff of mine called hair:nono: It didn't work. Yes, it didn't revert for the few days I kept my hair straight via my maxiglide. But, it was a poofy mess, once completed. My hair is just TOO THICK. It will never look like a relaxer wrap unless, I get a hard press. BUT, I'm too scared. I would love to post pictures, but I can't get how to minimize the size of the photos I'm uploading. Once I get home I'll try it again just to show you the similarites in our hair. I think you may have a softer texture, but the mass of hair is ridiculous.:wallbash:

I was acturally thinking about getting a hard press professionally in September. (My next pass for LHCF Bootcamp)

Good luck to ya

Yeah I want to see!

naturalmanenyc

When you find the answer, let us know.

I am only 24 weeks post texlax and flat ironed yesterday. It looked good for a few hours but was a poufy mess by the time the wedding started due to the rain/humidity. I used FHI hot sauce as well as Paul Mitchell gloss drops and the FHI Platform SE set at 300 degrees.

The stylist doing the brides hair had his FHI on 400 degrees but said for at home use he would not recommend more than 300 degrees.

There were other ladies getting ready in the brides suite who wanted to discuss hair. One said the pressing comb burned some sections of her hair straight. She texturized to make it all match and the burned sections broke off completely. The other natural lady had her hair weaved up for the next few weeks (3 weddings). She was wearing a curly textured weave.

ajoyfuljoy

Hear this...I'm 12 weeks post, 4a with little spirals throughout my head. I gave up on flat ironing at 10 weeks postb/c it made me sad to watch my little spirals get flattened and then straightened with the heat, and also, my hair (only with natural roots) started to revert after the first day.

I don't like to have to make my hair do something it don't want to. So I'll probably just be sporting a nice fall/half wig (and sacrificing the poor piece of hair that will have to hang out to make it all blend).

hopeful

If I were you, I wouldn't use a pressing comb:nono:, I think that would be too much for your hair IMO. Are you blowdrying first with a comb attachment? Also I would suggest after blow-drying, put it in big twists or braids and wait 24 hours before flat-ironing. I suggest the 24 hours to make sure your hair is completely dry, sometimes the hair still has dampness in it even though it looks and feels dry.

ladylibra

Brockstar, we have the SAME hair. i will have the nape all pressed and move to another section, by the time i'm done with the other section the nape is just a big half-straightened poof. :perplexed

definitely give MB a try, i LOVED it! :grin:

unfortunately i had a reeeeeaaaaaally bad experience with a woman hot-combing my relaxed hair as a kid... so even though i'm all-natural i won't let one near my head. :nono: can't help ya in that department. i do know people with textures similar to ours say that hot combs and marcel irons "train" the hair better, so it's a higher chance of heat damage.

**Glamourlicious**

I dont think u need a hot comb. I only usde a hot comb for my edges and maybe my roots. What u need is to use the blow dry attachment and make sure it is dry....and a good thermal spray. That is what prevents reversion. If you can not get it...I would suggest a professional FLAT iron. No pressing comb unless u can not avoid it. I can get my hair pretty strawight with a flat iron only....but for it to be silky and full of body...I go to the salon and get it blown out with a bruch so my roots are straight...and then flat ironed.

Divine Inspiration

From what I've skimmed, there's good advice here. I just wanted to add that an electric pressing comb is a great alternative. You can control the heat and there aren't any hot spots to singe your hair. I only use mine on my edges when I want super straight hair but I would do my entire head with it if I has the patience. I love it.

Ericka

After flat ironing a section of hair, try rolling it up in a pin curl. I'm natural also and I have to blow dry my hair first, using a round brush and then flat iron to achieve a straight look. And my hair gets really really straight. I only use Garnier Fructis Anti-Frizz serum on each section when blow drying then I proceed to flat iron and my hair stays straight. I do apply a bit of Keracare Silken Seal to my edges then I hot comb the edges only.

HTH

glamazon386

Brock Star I think it's all in the technique. I had the same problem when I tried to do my own hair but my stylist got it flat. Also, I think you should stay away from the hotcomb. The teeth may pull your hair straight. You should be able to blowdry and flat iron. Just keep trying. Try out the SMB.

zzirvingj

I say use a flat iron and not the hot comb, but that's just me. It's what my current stylist uses and she gets my hair realllly straight.

She just washes, deep conditions, spritzes a TINY amount and detangles my hair.

Then she blows it out (the blow dryer gets it reallly straight to begin with...which I think makes a HUGE difference.) Lastly, she presses it with a flat iron. Other than the Bumble and Bumble spray she uses to detangle, she doesn't put anything else in my hair.

And for some reason when she does it, it doesn't revert so much. Which says a LOT b/c my hair is ALWAYS trying to revert/poof up whenever I do it myself.

HTH and good luck! :drunk:

BrockStar

If I were you, I wouldn't use a pressing comb:nono:, I think that would be too much for your hair IMO. Are you blowdrying first with a comb attachment? Also I would suggest after blow-drying, put it in big twists or braids and wait 24 hours before flat-ironing. I suggest the 24 hours to make sure your hair is completely dry, sometimes the hair still has dampness in it even though it looks and feels dry.

Hmm maybe I'll try that 24 hr thing....

and yes I've tried the comb attachment, I've tried the paddle brush and I've tried stretching it out and holding it taut and blowdrying it

BrockStar

Ok ya'll have helped me a LOT!! Thanks so much! I'm going to get a blowout tomorrow or Wednesday at the Dominican Salon...I'll be sure to return and post results :grin::grin: