I'm One Year Post Relaxer! *pic heavy*

ChemistryGirl

Thank you ladies for all the kind words! I appreciate it. :grin:

awesome progress, your hair looks soooo much more healthy.

The best thing is when you get to the point of enjoying your hair and the journey!!!!

all the best for YEAR 2.

how long do you plan to transition for?

I haven't decided on a big chop date yet. I kind of want to wait until this time next year and big chop on my 25th birthday 12/24/2011. However, I feel like the summer is the best time to big chop, so maybe in June 2011 or 2012? Basically I'll big chop in the next 6-18 months :yep:.

Congrats!!! You're looking good, and making great progress!! Let us know how those '10' leave-ins work out for ya. :grin:

Great pics! You're doing great. We have similar textures, so I know the moisture battle. So spill, what exactly did you buy on Black Friday?

So I bought
Darcy's Botanicals (full sizes)
Peach Kernel Hydrating Milk
Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Cream
Moisturizing Styling Gel Cream

Bee Mine (sample sizes)
Luscious Moisturizer
Curly Butter
Hair Growth Serum w/ Sulfur (Srawberry Kiwi)

Afroveda (sample sizes)
Cocolatte Moisture Mask
Curl Define
Totally Twisted Ginger Almond Butter
Shea Amla Whipped Butter Cream
Miss Bhree

Hairveda (full sizes)
Sitrinillah Deep Conditioner
Moist 24/7 Conditioner
Acai Phyto Conditioner

:lick: I am excited to try them. This is actually an improvement :lol: Believe it or not I have my pjism mostly under control. I only have one shelf of hair products now :look: I did the twist out with the darcy's botanicals products and they left my hair sooo moisturized and defined. Even at the end of the day, my hair still felt soft and they smell soooo good :lick:. They might be staples, but I need to use them for a while before I decide though. I tried the beemine luscious cream and curly butter yesterday (see the beanie picture) and they felt really moisturizing too. My hair didn't retain moisture all day like with the darcy's products, but I like them. I haven't tried the afroveda stuff yet and my Hairveda conditioners are not here yet.

Thanks for the post, I've been considering committing myself to a one year stretch. Your hair is gaining thickness...looks great. What your regi (how often do u wash/ detangle)?

My regi changes a lot. I wash 2-3 times a week. I usually cowash or cleanse, then deep condition afterwords. My scalp doesn't like a no-poo regimen so I shampoo once every one to three weeks. When I wear wigs my hair is in cornrows so I only detangle when I take them out every 2-4 weeks. When I'm bunning, I either finger detangle or lightly detangle with a comb in the shower. I do a full detangling session every one or two weeks to get the shed hair out. My hair is prone to dryness so most leave-ins and moisturizers don't keep it moisturized for more then 3 days. I moisturize and seal daily, but most of my moisture comes from wetting my hair on my wash days.

The two things that I think are most important to my transition and I'm consistent with are protein treatments and ACV rinses. I use the Joico k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor followed by the intense hydrator every 3 - 4 weeks. It's a hard protein treatment, but it doesn't leave my fine hair brittle like a lot of other hard proteins. I do a rinse with diluted ACV once a week (usually after I cleanse with Hair One), I leave it on for 1-2 minutes, rinse thoroughly then DC. For a while, my relaxed ends felt like velcro and were tangling like crazy. That is when I lost the most hair during my transition. It was because I fell off with my ACV rinses. Most of my products are pH balanced, but there is something about ACV that makes my hair feel smooth and soft and absorb conditioners and leave-ins better. ACV is also soothing if you have a problematic scalp like I do. I have a steamer and try to get a good steam treatment once every week or two.

Last edited:

andromeda

Your new growth is lovely and that twistout is banging! Great progress! Continued success in your hhj!

ajoke

Well done, great progress and lovely twist-out. I still haven't been able to perfect my TO, in fact I have about given up.

I will send a link to this post to my friend who is struggling with the decision about whether to transition or bc, because she's having major issues with tangles at 6 months post.