I'm relaxing my hair tonight!

lovely_locks

I am tired of all these darn knots in my hair. So I went to the NEX and picked up some motions regular relaxer (because I love their product line so I decided to try their relaxer) I always self relax, but I have never relaxed my whoel virgin hair before. Is it the same way? Is motions relaxer a good one? Also i'll post some pictures after I do it...even if my hair looks as un-even as I think it will look.

Solitude

No, it's not the same as a touch-up. Do you know a professional stylist who can do it for you? I don't like anything by Motions except for their foam wrap lotion.

Not to get off topic, but are the knots that bad? Have you thought about heat styling to minimize the knots or protective styling while you get through the grow-out phase? Either way, good luck and I can't wait to see pics...

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
I would not recommend doing a vergin relaxer yourself. It may come out underprocessed. Is there a good friend, family member, or a trusted stylist that you can get to do this?

shunemite

(Let me see if I can find the Youtube tutorial). What makes a virgin relaxer harder is that you're supposed to do it in two phases:
1. first you put the relaxer on the hair that is 1/2" away from your scalp and avoiding the ends and stretch your hair to get the relaxer to cover all the hair.
2. Then after doing the whole head, you come back and do the roots. And lastly the ends, which are porous.

The reason is that the hair closest to the scalp will process faster due to body heat. If you just start bam from the roots, the roots will get processed and your hair strand will still be underprocessed.

Concerning Motions, I used their relaxer for a long time and I had no problems with it (Motions Regular, not Motions Oil or Salon Professionals). I used the mild strength. It was cost efficient and my hair looked good. However, when I switched to Mizani, my hair looked A LOT better, so I've stuck with that. But you do what works for you.

YouTube - How to Apply Hair Relaxer : How to Relax Natural Hair

Last edited:

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I too used Motions for years with no complaints. I too would advise you to get someone else to help you with a virgin relaxer.

Can't wait to see pics!

lovely_locks

I decided to Texlax instead. Per my husbands request and it turned out great! I took lots of pics but for some reason my phone only emailed one pic. I'm tired of fussing with it. I'll try to post more tomorrow. I really like it! The curl pattern is nice and loose and i got some hang.

Attachments

• texture1.jpg
    texture1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 285

lovely_locks

Good luck on the knots, they suck.

Also did you just BC this year? If so why did you want to BC?

I BC'd because I wanted to be natural. I wanted to experience the "freeing" feeling those who went natural experienced. I did love that feeling, but all that knotting was killing me! Plus I see so many ladies who have all types of healthy hair. So I figured i'll loosen my curl pattern and just keep healthy hair. That's what this forum is all about. Healthy long hair. And that's my goal natural or not.

Sianna

It looks really nice! I was going to suggest texaxing, but I guess your DH beat me to it! :lol:

Hope you're able to post more pics soon! And please keep us updated on how you're liking your texlaxed hair!

Some of us are curious about it texlaxing ya know... :look:

cmw45

I BC'd because I wanted to be natural. I wanted to experience the "freeing" feeling those who went natural experienced. I did love that feeling, but all that knotting was killing me! Plus I see so many ladies who have all types of healthy hair. So I figured i'll loosen my curl pattern and just keep healthy hair. That's what this forum is all about. Healthy long hair. And that's my goal natural or not.

I completely understand where you are coming from with the knots. They are the main reason I have considered going back to chemicals. I really feel like they kill length. However, I didn't deal with them quite as early in my journey as you seem to be. I loved the TWA phase and didn't get to them until I was almost shoulder length. I am happy your are happy. Please keep us posted on your progress.

TLC1020

Looks good hun...

I use Motions Lye Relaxer and I have no complaints, been using it for years..

trendsetta25

I decided to Texlax instead. Per my husbands request and it turned out great! I took lots of pics but for some reason my phone only emailed one pic. I'm tired of fussing with it. I'll try to post more tomorrow. I really like it! The curl pattern is nice and loose and i got some hang.
Wow it came out great! Good job

kittykhat

I love it!

Iluvsmuhgrass

Looks good! Girl... gosh I swear my niece looks like you!! lol Now I know what she'll look like once she's grown. :lol: She's a cutie pie too!

lovely_locks

Looks good! Girl... gosh I swear my niece looks like you!! lol Now I know what she'll look like once she's grown. :lol: She's a cutie pie too!

awww! How sweet of you. Thanks

I am going to try a braid out tomorrow. If all goes well I am going to rock those for a while. I tried putting it in a bun as a PS...yeah....not happening...

lovely_locks

Looks great! Retouching is going to be pain trying to avoid overlapping at your length tho.

I thought about that too. I have been growing out my hair from my BC for 6 months. So I decided to only texlax my hair every 6 months. Hopefully with 6 months of growth I will be able to differentiate (sp) between my new growth and texlax so I wont overlap. Plus I think when I do texlas again in 6 months i'll leave about half an inch of natural hair so I wont overlap. I know this might not make sense to have half an inch of natural hair but my texture is not THAT different from the texlax that it wont be such a big deal. And hopefully when I get better at roller sets know one will be able to tell.

Aireen

I love it! It looks so touchable and soft! :D Good job for doing your own virgin relaxer! Hopefully you have more pictures to show later. :)