I'm soooo over my hair! Almost a rant

sweetpea7

I'm over my relaxed hair. I'm over going to the salon. I'm not knocking relaxed hair. I love the low maintenance and convenience but I really want to get to know my natural texture! However, my mom isn't the most thrilled. When I first told her I wanted to go natural earlier this week her exact words were "you know your hairs gonna fall out" then she came around and said "you can do whatever you want. It's your hair" this wouldn't matter to others but I just turned 18 two weeks ago and I live at home so I need her to support me by buying my hair products I need to transition. I really want her support but I since I don't have "wash and wear" natural texture and my relaxed hair is bsl (pics soon) she prob wont fully support my transition. Should I wait for a few yrs? It just go ahead?

Sent from my Desire HD using Desire HD

AmyRose92

I know how you feel!

I went natural around the same age you did and I came across the exact same issues with my mom. Two years ago, about a couple of months before I turned 18, I decided I was going natural and I was never going back to a relaxer. I started taking care of my hair by myself since I've been so dependent on my mom or whatever stylist she chose for me to do my hair. I didn't even start washing my hair by myself until then! The first time she saw me DCing, she said that all of my hair was going to fall off!

A couple of months after I turned 18, I decided to just BC after a year of transitioning when she wasn't home. She came back and saw my hair in an afro and couldn't believe it!

Fast forward to now and we're both natural. She still gets a lot of things wrong but at least she's not destroying her hair by going to her stylist every week. I am a college student and I do depend on my mom for income so I do buy my own products using her money but I tell her the benefits and she goes along with it.

Now I'm not suggesting that you BC behind her back but I am suggesting that you sit down with her and talk about what you want to do. Since you're 18 now, you're pretty much an adult and can start making decisions by yourself but you don't have to do it alone. Include (or encourage her to do so, at least) her in your healthy hair journey, whether you're natural and she's relaxed or vice versa. Show her this site and inform her of the benefits of practicing healthy hair methods. She may readily accept your decision after a while! And if you feel that going from relaxed BSL hair to a TWA is something that you can handle, go for it! If not, transition for a bit and see how that goes.

Hope this helps!

sweetpea7

Thanks for the great advice! ill try and talk to her about but im pretty sure my mother will relax for life since she has a pixie lol But i think ill transition for at least 18 months if not more. I need some hair when i cut off the relaxed ends

Leesh

I don't have anything to add, but Aaww, that's so cute!!! :rolleyes:

sweetpea7
Why don't you invite her to look at some of the information and pictures here on the board, and she'll see how beautiful it can be!