Impact of Steaming with Oils

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I normally no heat DC by adding oils to my condish but now that I have a steamer, I have concerns if the oils will impact steaming benefits.

(1) Does steaming with oils block the steam microdoplets from penetrating the hair?
(2) What oils are you using when steaming?

swgpec

Great question, I am curious as well. When I steam I usually steam with oils and conditioner. The thought has crossed my mind that I may be doing this incorrectly. I steam using wheat germ oil from six weeks post until my relaxer.

JJamiah

I only steam with Conditioners any oil I myself would add after steaming is complete and let it sit for a while :)

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i add oils to my conditioners and steam all the time. i haven't noticed anything but good results....either way....whether i steam with or without oil.

Moodyma'am

Yeah I add oil/butter, mostly olive to my conditioner and get under the steamer. My hair loves it. I've heard that olive oil is one of the few that can penetrate the hair shaft so presumably the droplets mustn't be big enough to block the water.

Good question.

winona

I use my steamer sometimes to steam with my prepoo (oil based) I also believe westnbeauty said that is the only way she get great results with her steamer (she has a thread about it somewhere)

Tchanelle

I pre-poo my hair with coconut hair oil the day before wash day and I steam with it in. My hair doesn't get stripped and I feel like my hair is stronger

silkii_locks

I don't have a steamer, but I use the steam towel method with grapeseed oil and get nothing but great results. I think the whole purpose of the steam is to open up the hair shaft allowing whatever product you're using be it oil or condish to penetrate the hair strand.

brownbean96

Adding Oil (wheat germ oil) totally kicked up my hairs moisture retention when steaming. Results were so-so w/o oil but once I addes WGO, my hair comes out super soft & moisturized! Try it.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I don't have a steamer, but I use the steam towel method with grapeseed oil and get nothing but great results. I think the whole purpose of the steam is to open up the hair shaft allowing whatever product you're using be it oil or condish to penetrate the hair strand.

I pre-poo my hair with coconut hair oil the day before wash day and I steam with it in. My hair doesn't get stripped and I feel like my hair is stronger

-Are you ladies using a heavy or light coating of oil to steam?
-Are you dry steaming on dry or wet hair when using as a prepoo?
-Do you steam your DC in if you steam your prepoo?

Btw, I steamed Kenra with hemp a few days ago and loved it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App