In need of a little relaxer guidance...

unalteredone

Ok so i'm getting a relaxer Sept 2nd, pretty much exactly 8wks post.

My hair had been shedding/breaking abnormally 2-3 wks ago so i bought the Joico Kpak reconstructor. I clarified/chelated with Kenra Clarifying (for the first time) and then put on the Kpak for 5 mins and then DCed with Kenra MC. My hair came out... meh. Ever since, my hair has been a little stiff and dry, but hey, i wasnt shedding as much. Between the dryness and my new growth explosion i cant wait for my relaxer. I washed and DC with Kenra MC and a little sea salt today and things seem to be looking up as far as manageability goes.

BUT, i've read that people are doing protein treatments around relaxer time. Should i do another Joico K pak BEFORE or AFTER i go to get relaxed? Before makes sense because then i'd have some protein protection or something going into the relaxer and then after makes sense because it would replace what i lost. So...what do you think? I think my stylist uses Affirm relaxer, if that makes a difference.

Also, I saw that she was getting some of my already processed hair last time, and let's face it, i'm irrationally shy about telling her what to do with respect to that :blush:. I know that putting oil on my processed hair will protect it some, but i dont want to walk in there reeking of and dripping with coconut oil. I have some Seyani hair butter from shescentit, you think that will do a good enough job?

TIA!

ksk_xs

Girl all she can do is look at you crazy. If you use castor oil it wont drip. I usually use a moisturizer and seal with castor oil and use the protecto stuff(I know alot right). Believe me ppl come in with hair and scalp with alot more going on than just being oily,and I don't know how strong the k-pak is as far as protein but I would just say guage what your hair need based on how it feels,there are alot of threads with info on protein/moisture balance. If you don't need one now just wait and see how your hair feels after the relaxer.

unalteredone

btw, i just stalked your fotki and I :love: your hair! It's about the same length as mine only i have layers/bangs so yours looks so much thicker which is what i want!!

SoOoNY

Well... I use a protein before AND after I relax... I use Apoghee (sp) before and my Beloved Emergencia with and egg and castor oil after (if i do it myself the same day... if in the salon my next wash... I DC on Dry hair)... Im just scared so i take precaution but since I have castor oil I think I am good on the moisture level too....

ITA with the previous poster about Castor oil... its thicker so it wont drip... u can use a cheapy condish like V05 and then seal with castor oil... I dont know much about that butter... but if she uses affirm (which i do too) she should have the protectant thing too that comes with the professional package... Go Ahead and add that on too just to be safe...lol:yep: