In the World or Not

loolalooh

Romans 12:2 (New King James Version)
2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

And then there is:
Matthew 5:13-16 (New King James Version)
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

I presume we are to be "in the world" just not "conformed" to it. After all, Paul didn't isolate himself. He was out and about spreading the Word.

Anyway, I'd like to bring about a discussion and hear your thoughts on the overarching question: What is your understanding of the proper boundaries between "the world" and "us" in this day and age? Give examples of your boundaries/limits. Feel free to include Scripture. (I don't have a right or wrong answer. Just curious.)

The world is so much around us and sneaking into our homes in the form of the television set, movies, internet, music, next-door neighbors, co-workers, classmates, stores, malls, church goers, false preachers, bible study members, etc. What are your boundaries and how do you set it while still being a "light of the world"?

makeupgirl

I agree with you. In fact, Avalon has a song called "In not of" speaks volumes of us as believers being in the world but not of it.

**I wish I can post the utube video but I'm at work and it's no telling if my laptop is going to cooperate when I get home** I'll try though but here are the lyrics.

Avalon
Album: In a Different Light
Track: In Not Of

I hide me far away from trouble
The world outside me grows darker by the day
So I promise to stay here close beside You
Surely God would want His children safe
Then in reading, how my eyes were opened
I find that He is leading us out into the world
Into the middle of fallen saints and sinners
Where a little grace is needed most

Come take the Light to darker parts
Share His truth with hardened hearts
We are not like the world, but we can love it
Come bring the hope to hopeless men
Until the lost are found in Him
He came to save the world so let us be. . .
In it, not of it

Wait a minute
If we say we love them, why are we not in it
Why we run and hide
Entertain a stranger
Maybe entertain an angel
The danger is if our worlds don't colide

In it, not of it

We've cursed the darkness far too long
We need to hold the candle high
We have to go and right the wrongs
We need to touch the world with love.

Wait a minute

In it, not of it

Wait a minute

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I agree with you. In fact, Avalon has a song called "In not of" speaks volumes of us as believers being in the world but not of it.

**I wish I can post the utube video but I'm at work and it's no telling if my laptop is going to cooperate when I get home** I'll try though but here are the lyrics.

Avalon
Album: In a Different Light
Track: In Not Of

I hide me far away from trouble
The world outside me grows darker by the day
So I promise to stay here close beside You
Surely God would want His children safe
Then in reading, how my eyes were opened
I find that He is leading us out into the world
Into the middle of fallen saints and sinners
Where a little grace is needed most

In it, not of it

Wait a minute
Why we run and hide
Entertain a stranger
Maybe entertain an angel
The danger is if our worlds don't colide

In it, not of it

We've cursed the darkness far too long
We need to hold the candle high
We have to go and right the wrongs
We need to touch the world with love.

Wait a minute

In it, not of it

Wait a minute

Here Love... :grouphug2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOQSlpgZpPM

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Who sets the boundaries? He does through His Spirit that sets us apart (Job 26:10, Psalm 17:5, Psalm 19:13, John 16:13). How? Through the Holy Spirit’s guidance and our obedience to Him, we are altered according to where He wants us to be (Psalm 37:31, Psalm 119:133, John 14:17, John 14:23, Romans 8:9).

When the Lord gives you a new heart filled with His will, you begin to view the world in a different way (1 Corinthians 1:20, 1 Corinthians 1:26-28, 1 Corinthians 13:12). Things that once fed body and soul become pointless, idiotic, corruptible, etc. etc. People you once admired are viewed as they truly are—flawed individuals. We begin to see the world as He does and hate it, desiring His Kingdom above all else (John 12:25, John 15:19, James 4:4, 1 John 2:15-17).

As we grow closer to Him, the boundaries tend to form themselves (Matthew 10:16, Romans 16:19, 1 Corinthians 14:20). For example, most forms of entertainment no longer appeal to me due to the increasing insults to my intelligence, poor quality, and the constant repetition (take a look at the number of movie remakes and the plans for more). I did not choose to get to this point, but realized many years later He caused it to capture more of my focus upon Him and His will for me.

The problem is if we try to force by willpower alone, we are more likely to slip or not give Him the glory for getting us to that point (Romans 3:27, Romans 9:15-16, 1 Corinthians 1:29, Ephesians 2:8-9). Another problem is ignoring the Spirit’s guidance, trying to justify things as “harmless” or “not bothering anyone” or any other excuse. This is why we have to sacrifice our entire selves on the cross daily (Psalm 44:22, Luke 9:23, Romans 8:36, 1 Corinthians 15:31).

A few get their paths set solid right off the bat; for others, He may not take things away just yet. Watching the Lord go to work on striping the world from His children close to me on their path towards Him has been fascinating and awe-inspiring, all praise to His power! So if you get that nudge to turn away from a habit (or just plain tired of it), take it to Him and work with Him to get rid of it.

A topic like this could easily dovetail into one about spiritual perfection (maturity).

loulou7

Here's my humble and quick two cents. When you give your heart to Christ, what the world offers look like garbage compared to what the Lord want to give us.

Step-by-step, daily we have to trust and obey Him.