Indian Head Bath: Has Anyone Tried This?

seraphim712

After hearing so much about ayurvedic products and coconut oil being major hair staples for many of the ladies in here, I would like to know if any of you have tried out the Indian Head Bath regimen or spoke to someone who has?

I know several post state that the Indian women soak and massage their hair and scalp in coconut oil for about an hour or so, followed by a shikakai wash; this is done twice a week.

I am curious to find out the exact regimen such as how much coconut oil is used to massage the scalp and soak the hair. How much shikakai powder is used in a wash? I'm probably asking questions that have been already posted. If so, can some post the links please? Thanks

Candy_C

After hearing so much about ayurvedic products and coconut oil being major hair staples for many of the ladies in here, I would like to know if any of you have tried out the Indian Head Bath regimen or spoke to someone who has?

I know several post state that the Indian women soak and massage their hair and scalp in coconut oil for about an hour or so, followed by a shikakai wash; this is done twice a week.

I am curious to find out the exact regimen such as how much coconut oil is used to massage the scalp and soak the hair. How much shikakai powder is used in a wash? I'm probably asking questions that have been already posted. If so, can some post the links please? Thanks

yeah hun, i see this as what we call pre-poo with oil.

i personally use Amla Oil :)

DivaRox

I'm curious as well. The link I found did not specify but the lady stated that the shikakai bath took an hour and that she'd since moved on to using a shikakai shampoo bar instead. I will keep looking to see if I come across anything.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

DivaRox, where does one find the shikakai shampoo bar? :look: Not for me, but for a friend as I am not buying new products right now.

seraphim712

I found this website after searching on Google

http://www.webindia123.com/women/Beauty/Hair/nature.htm

One of the tips states how to use the coconut oil. You're right Candy, it definately is pre-poo

Here's the tip I found:

• Massage hair with warm coconut oil an hour before washing. Let it soak. Cover your head with a hot towel and wash your hair after an hour or so.
So I assume that the Shikakai 'shampoo' that is used to wash the hair is a tablespoon of shikakai per cup of water (1tbsp to 1cup; 2tbsp to 2cups; etc).

I really want to try this now...

DivaRox

DivaRox, where does one find the shikakai shampoo bar? :look: Not for me, but for a friend as I am not buying new products right now.

*Tee hee* Oh really? Well if that's your story:look: :lachen:

I haven't found a good source(read cheap) for it but I'm gonna check a local place. Some places I found online sell shikakai soap but it doesn't specify this brand. This is the one to look for: Godrej Shikakai Soap

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I haven't found a good source(read cheap) for it but I'm gonna check a local place. Some places I found online sell shikakai soap but it doesn't specify this brand. This is the one to look for: Godrej Shikakai Soap

LOL. Thanks for the info. I will search and see what I come up with. And yes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it:rolleyes: LOL!!

OT , but i think I am going to get rid of the camry next year. I really want the lexus RX luv.

Cleve_gryl

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/Shikakai_Powder.htm

Mehndi Skin Art sells them for $3.95/bar :scratchch I didn't see any other ingredients, so I'm not sure what else is in this bar.

frizzy

Speaking of hair soap bars, I purchased Kesh Nikhar and a Darbur Neem soap bar from www.eastwestbazaar.com pleased with that company for East Indian products.

BUT, while looking up the ingedients before I posted I came across this website for E. Indian products. NO I do not have the Kesh Nikhar hair tonic! www.goshala.com/offer.php

seraphim712

Found the main website for Godrej:

www.haircareindia.com

Bint Yusef

I just called the Indian Emporium near my house and the man said they carry the shikakai shampoo. I am going to go down there tomorrow to see the deal.

dlewis

I found this website after searching on Google

http://www.webindia123.com/women/Beauty/Hair/nature.htm

One of the tips states how to use the coconut oil. You're right Candy, it definately is pre-poo

Here's the tip I found:

• Massage hair with warm coconut oil an hour before washing. Let it soak. Cover your head with a hot towel and wash your hair after an hour or so.
So I assume that the Shikakai 'shampoo' that is used to wash the hair is a tablespoon of shikakai per cup of water (1tbsp to 1cup; 2tbsp to 2cups; etc).

I really want to try this now...

I didn't know it was called a head bath. I've been doing this for years. I mostly use amla oil, almond oil, shikakai oil. Today I used amla oil.

I use as much oil as needed to soak the hair. I use about 1/4 bottle or more of whatever oil I'm using.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I use shikakai oil on the scalp and alma oil mixed with coconut oil on the hair itself as a pre-poo.

I still have to work on getting these powders right, though. That has been a challenge for me because my hair really hates protein-like substances. The powders can be drying.

I'm still experimenting, though. ;)

butterfly06

Hey Newbie here...lol

I've been doing the coconut oil treatment for about a month and a half now and have had about 3 inches of growth so far... i also have been doing castor oil as a scalp treatment. I wish i have been taking pictures of my progress like all you ladies have!!! So i have officially made doing so apart of my new year resolution :grin:

nakialovesshoes

I got my shikakai shampoo bar from www.hairveda.net. However, her site is down indefinitely for unknown reasons. I did see the shikakai bars at the Indian grocery store where I bought my oils & powders. And I also found it somewhere online but I can't remember where. :ohwell: I'm sure a google search will help if you don't have an Indian grocery store nearby. HTH...

The Savvy Sistah

I'm actually doing this now. I heated some coconut oil (and put a little castor oil in it) and massaged my scalp and put the rest on the length of my hair. I'm going to sleep in it overnight.

This is really good for your hair. Right now I do it once a week and my hair loves it.

seraphim712

I'm actually doing this now. I heated some coconut oil (and put a little castor oil in it) and massaged my scalp and put the rest on the length of my hair. I'm going to sleep in it overnight.

This is really good for your hair. Right now I do it once a week and my hair loves it.

I need to run to whole foods and purchase some coconut and castor oil. I really want some ayurvedic products as well, but that'll have to wait since most of the indian grocery stores are some distance from where I live...