Indianapolis Colts Punter Pat McAfee Says His Hair Gets Nappy

lovegymnasts

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/colts-mcafee-punts-close-12-inches-hair-kids

@ :30
"It's tough to have this hair, you know. Sleeping's tough. Gets a little wadded up, a little nappy, some knots."

I have never understood Anglo people talking about their hair being/getting nappy.
My Anglo co-worker also did this. She has big curls. In one breath, she says she wears it short because as her hair gets longer her hair gets straight with curly ends because the weight of the hair straightens it. She thinks it looks weird. In the next breath, she talks about having to use a specific product otherwise her hair would be nappy.

I don't get it. I kind of get the same feeling when other races call each other the N-word.

bride91501

I guess they are using "nappy" synonymously with tangled.

Then they should find another word.

Nappy describes a type of texture, not a state that is a result of your hair behaving in a "less than" desirable way. #sideeye

Sounds like some folks need to get some nappy headed friends and get brought up to speed real quick.

manter26

When I saw the title, I thought 'I have never in my life seen a black punter.' :lol: That still stands. I think he just meant frizzy. Quick fix: get a haircut. It doesn't even look cute like that.

Dposh167

just another word white people use and don't even know what it truly means. Moving right along....

Raspberry

Nappy describes a type of texture, not a state that is a result of your hair behaving in a "less than" desirable way. #sideeye

Sounds like some folks need to get some nappy headed friends and get brought up to speed real quick.

A lot of black people don't agree that nappy is an agreeable term that describes their hair texture though. On hair boards the term has been embraced but in everyday life many black folks only use the word to describe an undesirable hair state.

Since there is no universal agreement on how the word nappy should be used can we really police how some random white guy uses it? Are only black people allowed to use the world nappy? Who decides the rules?

Last edited:

DearJohn

To me the word nappy generally means matted/tangled hair and since the natural hair texture of many black had the tendency to do this when not stretch or protected the term has become synonymous with us. Nappy describe the state of the hair.

Think of it this way many black people have nappy hair but not all nappy headed people are black. Ourbhair can be kinky, curly, wavy or straight and all these textures can be nappy if not properly cared for.

Eta: my phone apparently has bberenice heard of the word nappy.

Last edited:

Solitude

He clearly just meant tangled or something similar. Black folks are not the only people with coarse, curly hair, hair that gets tangled easily, etc. It has been pointed out on this board many times that "nappy" has different meanings and connotations, including "fuzzy" and "tightly curled." I think it can even mean soft like cotton.

Lawd, I hope this man doesn't start getting a bunch of negative feedback over an innocent comment about his own hair.

cami88

A lot of black people don't agree that nappy is an agreeable term that describes their hair texture though. On hair boards the term has been embraced but in everyday life many black folks only use the word to describe an undesirable hair state.

Since there is no universal agreement on how the word nappy should be used can we really police how some random white guy uses it? Are only black people allowed to use the world nappy? Who decides the rules?

I agree with this. I think it's ridiculous to say that black people should have a monopoly on the word 'nappy'. If he wants to describe his own hair as nappy, then so be it. It does not affect me in the least.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
To me, nappy=tangled. I would never describe a hair texture as "nappy". It's a derogatory term not exclusive to AA hair.

brownbean96

I think it's more insulting that we take ownership of the word nappy. It has more to do with the state of the hair then texture. I would be offended by someone describing my beautiful locks as nappy. I have a co-worker who happens to be Caucasian with type 1 - 2 hair who's hair could be considered nappy. I've witnessed her brush her hair and heard the crunchy sound of her hair roughly separated by the brush, nappy in my opinion. There are plenty of people outside of the AA community with hair that is, can and has been considered nappy.

hair4romheaven

I think it's more insulting that we take ownership of the word nappy. It has more to do with the state of the hair then texture. I would be offended by someone describing my beautiful locks as nappy. I have a co-worker who happens to be Caucasian with type 1 - 2 hair who's hair could be considered nappy. I've witnessed her brush her hair and heard the crunchy sound of her hair roughly separated by the brush, nappy in my opinion. There are plenty of people outside of the AA community with hair that is, can and has been considered nappy.

This was my first thought upon reading the OP.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Did black people corner the market on the word "nappy"? Lighten up people. Nappy is an adjective, not a state of being.

NIN4eva

:lachen::lachen::lachen: For real!

Seriously though - nappy, matted-up hair can be a problem for anyone of any texture with high porosity.

Last edited:

Klearli

When a white person says their hair is nappy, its usually cute to me. Like, aww, sweetie, you don't even know what a nap is. Bless your white heart.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

CurlyMoo

I'm glad I don't use this term to describe my hair nor does anyone else. I don't embrace the term, it was born in the same manner as the other "N" word. Interesting to see how folks quivel with the definition of nappy when a white person is involved. White folks are always given an innocence pass. White folks know excatly what the word means and what texture it is usualy applied to. They can tell the difference between 3b curls and 4b "naps." :rolleyes: This dude like other curly haired White folks are being 'funny.'

Last edited: