Irish Moss anyone?

BklynFox

I remember reading a thread sometime ago regarding the benefits of Irish Moss.
Is anyone still using this and if so what have been your results?
TIA

BklynFox

Awww... Looks like I'll have to keep searching.
Elise you can buy it at any market that sells dried herbs.
It comes in a little plastic bag usually in the West Indian section
at the market.

elise805

Awww... Looks like I'll have to keep searching.
Elise you can buy it at any market that sells dried herbs.
It comes in a little plastic bag usually in the West Indian section
at the market.

Thank you, I'll look around and update with my results when I get my hands on some!

Damaged but not out

I recently tried the recipe from the natural living forum, and i loved it, my hair loved it.
I bought over 5 lbs and will be using twice a week( it expires in march, so gotta use it quickly). My natural hair especially responds very well to it.

Duchesse

To drink or in your hair? I love Irish moss, but didn't know it had any hair benefits. My Trini neighbor makes the best irish moss drink.

Damaged but not out

the recipe is in a sticky thread in the natural living forum.
I basically followed that recipe, except i rehydrated my seweed overnight, then boiled till it was ready( swollen and gummy looking) blended up only the seaweed meat itself, put that on my hair for 3 hours( would have done it longer but i had to go out). The liquid i reserved and used with my co-washes that week.

vkb247

I've cooked up some irish moss and played around with different recipes but never got around to trying it because I just left it in a container and it grew some mold.

I boiled it in coconut milk and just kept adding more because I was amazed at how the moss would just swell, turn clear, and then eventually dissolve into the coconut milk. When I let it cool down it was very solid like a grease and felt nice and soft when I rubbed it between my fingers.

swalker31

I make a mask with the powder. I found the powder at a local health food store. Two tablespoons is enough add boiling hot water until its completely dissolved, mix in some co-wash conditioner and apply to your hair. I let it sit for atleast an hour then rinse really well; follow with co-wash. My hair loves it! I believe it's more of a strengthener (you know comparible to a protein) but not really sure. I play it safe with my protein usage so that's why I add the moisturizing conditioner to it. HTH! Happy Growing

lillylovely

I make a mask with the powder. I found the powder at a local health food store. Two tablespoons is enough add boiling hot water until its completely dissolved, mix in some co-wash conditioner and apply to your hair. I let it sit for atleast an hour then rinse really well; follow with co-wash. My hair loves it! I believe it's more of a strengthener (you know comparible to a protein) but not really sure. I play it safe with my protein usage so that's why I add the moisturizing conditioner to it. HTH! Happy Growing

I agree with the bolded - I think it is a strengthener too but again not really sure. Its a bit like a henna or cassia treatment but gentler. I use it every week or fortnight for a DC, I mix mine with some honey and JBCO.

kittikat24

When Irish Moss was all the rage:drunk:, I bought a 2 lb bag of the stuff, along with marshmallow root powder and slippery elm root powder:lachen:
I was sold!! Ask me now if I've ever used it, and why is it still on the shelf in my closet:nono:

There have been threads about the amazing benefits of Sea Kelp/Irish Moss, and its protein building benefits to hair... but I dunno, I bought the stuff and got lazy with it:rolleyes:

But I believe you can add like a tablespoon to your DC and your hair feels lovely is what they say..:yep:

ctosha

I didn't know it could be used directly on the hair, I would like to know the benefits as well; however Im of Jamaican background and we make it as a drink...its so good ;)

Lisa

I boiled the Irish moss in 4 cups of water but I didn't need all 4 cups to blend the moss. I thought I could use the left over water to rinse my hair after I wash it but it looks like that is not going to happen. I've been walking around with the Irish moss in my hair all day under a plastic cap and my hot head deep conditioning cap. I went to wash my hair and I found out the water I was saving to rinse my hair has also turned gelatinous... LOL!! The water is in the bowl and the moss I blended is in the mason jar.

PureSilver

Thanks for this, lately my SO has taken a liking to the ready made drink sold in wholesales and supermarkets, my mom made it from scratch back in the day, it was delicious. Now I know the benefits to hair, I will make it on my own.

I should have seen this thread yesterday before going to the market. I would have bought it in bulk.