Is any one else loosing faith in growth aides?

VinDieselsWifey

i use growth aides, but i like to use good oils & butters, herbs & stimulating essential oils. i think they have turned the health of my hair around while also increasing growth. i use the essential oils mixed in my pre-poo treatments. i infuse herbs like rosemary, sage, nettle, etc in my oils and butters. sometimes i'm lazy with them & i do notice that i'm not getting as much new growth.

but i also agree that healthy hair depends on how well you're taking care of it and what you're putting in your body. water, exercise, vitamins, etc.

i think they can work for some, maybe not everybody. but you have to do your part too in taking care of the length of your hair and protecting your ends.

gymfreak336

I used MTG for pretty much a year, bar the times i had to discontinue because of irritations.... And i didnt have high expectations...i just wanted it to make my hair grow...and it did grow ....I just realise now that i'd have had the same hair growth without it...

Also, i just googled hairobics, it looks good:look:....it also seems to be a hair care sytem as opposed to a hair growth (ie apply on scalp and you get more growth) sytem.
It does make sense that it would make hair look longer if its preventing all the hoo ha that leads to breakage?

For me, growth aids give me a little increase but I get more benefits in hair quality.

Hairobics worked well for me. The scalp grease is very stimulating and it helped my temples when I was using it. I might go back to using the core system again. If you get anything from Hairobics, get the scalp rejuvenator oil. It tingles like all get out and I really liked it on my scalp before shampooing, it would help keep my newgrowth soft while I washed.

gymfreak336

Hmmm i find this intresting cos i know that if i used anything that would give me an inch a month (hellz even 3/4inch will do:lachen:) I would certainly keep using that thing till i reach my goal length.
Most of us want longer hair, why would you stop using something that gives an inch a month?:look:

I know some people can't handle the growth. I mean the faster it grows, the more you need to relax(if you are wearing a relaxer) and all that stuff. I think for some people, they gravitate towards growth aids when they start on their journey and when their hair starts growing faster, they can't handle it because they have not educated themselves on proper hair retention practices so it still breaks. Then they get fustrated and stop using it.

Ladyhenri

I know some people can't handle the growth. I mean the faster it grows, the more you need to relax(if you are wearing a relaxer) and all that stuff. I think for some people, they gravitate towards growth aids when they start on their journey and when their hair starts growing faster, they can't handle it because they have not educated themselves on proper hair retention practices so it still breaks. Then they get fustrated and stop using it.

Intresting point of view:look:

Ladyhenri

For me, growth aids give me a little increase but I get more benefits in hair quality.

Hairobics worked well for me. The scalp grease is very stimulating and it helped my temples when I was using it. I might go back to using the core system again. If you get anything from Hairobics, get the scalp rejuvenator oil. It tingles like all get out and I really liked it on my scalp before shampooing, it would help keep my newgrowth soft while I washed.

I guess i've been very generic when saying 'growth aides' for me a growth aide is not maintenance (thats what all the cons and pre poos, moisture protein, moisture sealing, etc are for).... it is anything that makes hair grow outta your head faster than it's normal rate.
Am i correct in assuming that hairobics was great for your hair but not particularly great for growth?
If i'm wrong pls tell how much growth you got when using it as opposed to when not using it.

gymfreak336

I guess i've been very generic when saying 'growth aides' for me a growth aide is not maintenance (thats what all the cons and pre poos, moisture protein, moisture sealing, etc are for).... it is anything that makes hair grow outta your head faster than it's normal rate.
Am i correct in assuming that hairobics was great for your hair but not particularly great for growth?
If i'm wrong pls tell how much growth you got when using it as opposed to when not using it.

I understand what you mean. I notice that for the most part, growth aids affect the quality of the hair(whether for better or worse :lol:) than the rate per say.

Hairobics was great for my hair. It helped me maintain moisture and it helped thicken up some of my thin areas when I was using it. I think the stimulating scalp oils that are a part of it helped my hair growth. I don't think my growth increased enough to say that it gave me an extra 4 inches but it helped my hair grow thicker and stronger which in turn helped me retain more of it.

gymfreak336

Intresting point of view:look:

Well, that is what it seems like to me from reading the intial posts here. Many people come and say my hair won't grow, it doesn't grow so they say I need something to make it grow faster. Then they run to growth aids. Meanwhile they know nothing of protein/moisture balance, protective styling, heat protectant agents, clarifying, rollersets, moisturizing the ends, hot oil treatments etc.........

Ladyhenri

Oh and a lil disclaimer....

I am not knocking anything!
...if a product does come out that genuinely (with evidence) gives me 1/4 inches+ on top of my normal 1/2 per month (ie 3/4 inch per month in total), amma be on that bandwagon like :roadrunner::roadrunner:

but I havent seen that product yet, have you?

gymfreak336

Oh and a lil disclaimer....

I am not knocking anything!
...if a product does come out that genuinely (with evidence) gives me 1/4 inches+ on top of my normal 1/2 per month (ie 3/4 inch per month in total), amma be on that bandwagon like :roadrunner::roadrunner:

but I havent seen that product yet, have you?

:lachen: When I find it, I will let you know:yep:

Ladyhenri

I understand what you mean. I notice that for the most part, growth aids affect the quality of the hair(whether for better or worse :lol:) than the rate per say.

Hairobics was great for my hair. It helped me maintain moisture and it helped thicken up some of my thin areas when I was using it. I think the stimulating scalp oils that are a part of it helped my hair growth. I don't think my growth increased enough to say that it gave me an extra 4 inches but it helped my hair grow thicker and stronger which in turn helped me retain more of it.

Girl, MTG certainly did nothing for my hair...unless i can count darkening my neck, irritating my scalp, given me extreeeeme itchies, drying my hair and coating it so that nothing else could get in...endless list.... ( do i sound like i'm bashing MTG:look:)

I only put up with that ish cos i actually believed my 1/2 inch per month was because of it:ohwell:

PS, that hairobics sounds real good...Need to research it a bit more.

gymfreak336

Girl, MTG certainly did nothing for my hair...unless i can count darkening my neck, irritating my scalp, given me extreeeeme itchies, drying my hair and coating it so that nothing else could get in...endless list.... ( do i sound like i'm bashing MTG:look:)

I only put up with that ish cos i actually believed my 1/2 inch per month was because of it:ohwell:

PS, that hairobics sounds real good...Need to research it a bit more.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Tell us how you really feel. :lachen::lachen:

It just stinks too much for me.

Hairobics treated me pretty good. I think I will reorder the rejuvenator oil tonight.

Ladyhenri

Well, that is what it seems like to me from reading the intial posts here. Many people come and say my hair won't grow, it doesn't grow so they say I need something to make it grow faster. Then they run to growth aids. Meanwhile they know nothing of protein/moisture balance, protective styling, heat protectant agents, clarifying, rollersets, moisturizing the ends, hot oil treatments etc.........

Girl (hangs head in shame) when i first came on here that was me:nono:

HoneyDew

but why would someone getting 1 inch or more per month stop using the aid?? if i where getting that amount , i know i wouldnt stop

Hmmm i find this intresting cos i know that if i used anything that would give me an inch a month (hellz even 3/4inch will do:lachen:) I would certainly keep using that thing till i reach my goal length.
Most of us want longer hair, why would you stop using something that gives an inch a month?:look:

Well, I can speak from my own experience.

I used MN for about a month on 2 separate occasions. I got LOTS of growth in that month. Way more than I normally do. But, I just could not use it. The first time, it made my NG dry and styling a mess - wasn't worth it. The 2nd time, I found a moisturizing cream with MN in it and it made me have bad headaches - again, not worth it.

I never understand how someone can go longterm on the MTG :ohwell: That stuff stinks. I could never use that, let alone for long terms.

Even the sulfur stuff. I know that many ladies live by it, but when I tried it (made my own mix), it left debri on my scalp and I could smell sulfur. It also stained my silver jewelry. Again, not worth it for me.

I just can't see dealing with all of that drama on a regular basis even if it does help me gain more length.

Last edited:

STLCoverGirl

I lost faith in them long ago...the last thing I tried was MTG and I only used it a few times before the smell overwhelmed me. I try not to even read the threads about growth aides..hair grows from the inside-out, the best thing you can do is up your vitamins, improve your diet and maybe do scalp massages(not sure if I'm convinced with this either).

Ladyhenri

Well, I can speak from my own experience.

I used MN for about a month on 2 separate occasions. I got LOTS of growth in that month. Way more than I normally do. But, I just could not use it. The first time, it made my NG dry and styling a mess - wasn't worth it. The 2nd time, I found a moisturizing cream with MN in it and it made me have bad headaches - again, not worth it.

I never understand how someone can go longterm on the MTG :ohwell:That stuff stinks. I could never use that, let alone for long terms.

Even the sulfur stuff. I know that many ladies live by it, but when I tried it (made my own mix), it left debri on my scalp and I could smell sulfur. It also stained my silver jewelry. Again, not worth it for me.

I just can't see dealing with all of that drama on a regular basis even if it does help me gain more length.

Whenever i read stuff like that, i have a long hard laugh at myself...i actually stuck with it for pretty much a whole year...:nono:
Even though i hated it...i just thought it was somehow pulling hair outta my head, and apparently it wasnt:perplexed

Any ways, i hear you on MN, and i am tempted....
But do you think perhaps MN took over from MTG as the envogue Growth aide but is probably very similar in terms of results...or do you think it is better?
I know i read many raves about MTG and how it grew peoples hair so much that they needed a touch up in 4 weeks, it grew their hair 1inch per month etc....
Suddenly that stopped being the rage... and all i hear is MN and BT. (BTW I totally admire whole concept of BT and love naturallady to bits (cos she seems nice and enterprising) but i feel it is similar to MTG, and thats why i dont want to try it. My hair and sheets obviously dont like sulphur growth aides:ohwell:).

But MN, how much growth did you get per month with it as opposed to your normal growth?

Ladyhenri

I lost faith in them long ago...the last thing I tried was MTG and I only used it a few times before the smell overwhelmed me. I try not to even read the threads about growth aides..hair grows from the inside-out, the best thing you can do is up your vitamins, improve your diet and maybe do scalp massages(not sure if I'm convinced with this either).

ITA esp with the enboldened part! Thats what my head tells me...its just common sense...but i get excited at the though of anything that will (by application) pull hair outta my head:look:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Most ignore the directions of MTG. Once a week...and leave it alone...but no we want to slather it on everynight. So we make a substitute and do the same thing. Did we ever consider that "over application" of these growth aids" stunts the growth? Should we need to have out follicles "impacted and sealed over with stuff"? Moderation may increase our chances. bonjour

May I offer a different point of view?

The instructions on MTG tells the *horse groomer* to put MTG on the horse's tail and baggy it up for one week before washing it out. Well as a human that uses MTG I can not keep a baggy on my head for one solid week without removing it :nono: first of all I wash/co-wash *daily* and my daily hairstyle of choice is the wash n' go. MTG can't be "over applied" when it's washed out daily which in turn can't stunt any possible growth. I do have photo proof that the daily application of MTG worked for me (check my fotki in the 2006 folder) and I will concede that not everything works for everybody.

To the OP....I am not losing any faith in growth aides because they actually work for me. :yep: The only reason why I haven't reached my length goals yet is because the PJ in me jumped on bandwagons that ended up sabotaging my progress instead of sticking with what was working and being consistent. :wallbash: I still use growth aides and MTG being one of them. As per my countdown ticker I have no doubt that not only will I reach my first hair length goal I *will* surpass it, which will be documented in my fotki. :yep:

HoneyDew

Whenever i read stuff like that, i have a long hard laugh at myself...i actually stuck with it for pretty much a whole year...:nono:
Even though i hated it...i just thought it was somehow pulling hair outta my head, and apparently it wasnt:perplexed

Any ways, i hear you on MN, and i am tempted....
But do you think perhaps MN took over from MTG as the envogue Growth aide but is probably very similar in terms of results...or do you think it is better?
I know i read many raves about MTG and how it grew peoples hair so much that they needed a touch up in 4 weeks, it grew their hair 1inch per month etc....
Suddenly that stopped being the rage... and all i hear is MN and BT. (BTW I totally admire whole concept of BT and love naturallady to bits (cos she seems nice and enterprising) but i feel it is similar to MTG, and thats why i dont want to try it. My hair and sheets obviously dont like sulphur growth aides:ohwell:).

But MN, how much growth did you get per month with it as opposed to your normal growth?

Well, I only used MN for a short time. I would say it gave me an extra 1/2 inch extra over a 5 week period, I had to relax sooner. But, I think eventually my hair growth would have leveled off and gone back to normal. I really would love to see long-term consistent faster growth. I don't think I believe that it will last, which makes it seem pointless to even go there.

DeepBluSea

Excellent point. Sometimes we have to slow our roll and get the basics down first. I'm still on the basics myself.

lilamae

Girl i used that stuff for a year and believed it was growing my hair...but after stopping using it for 2.5 months i realised my hair (along with a million poos , pre poos, Cons, Treatments, Stretches etc) Was growin itself:lachen:
So i never lost faith it in when using it....it was post using it that i realised my own hair grows at the same rate.

Your experiment sounds goood...:rolleyes:
Can i ask what growth rate you normally get, and what growth rate you got when using MN? When you say more than normal, where you geting 3/4 of an inch a month with GAs as opposed to say half inch without?
I normally get 1/2 an inch per month and i got at least 3/4 inch. Still not sure if it was the vitamins though. Can't wait to do the experiment. I think for the final 2 months I will do nothing but take good care of it and see what happens like you said

Gryphyn

I hate to say this, because I've always believed using growth aids worked, but I am losing faith as well. I've never been able to tell if they worked for me. And my hair seems to grow just fine as well, now that I have a good routine and I know how to take care of it. The price and effort just don't seem worth it anymore. I considered selling the bottles of BT I have left, but I think I will just try to use them up for now.

I stopped taking supplements earlier this year, except for a multivitamin and biotin to grow my nails.

locabouthair

What are hairobics? Are they vitamins?

gymfreak336

What are hairobics? Are they vitamins?

Well she has vitamins but mostly it is a hair care system that promotes growth. The basic Hairobics regime is you spray your scalp with this leave in conditioner 3x a week and massage it in...it tingles and increases circulation to the scalp. Then you use this hair booster (which is like a light grease) or scalp rejuventor oil on your scalp once a week. You also use a small amount, dime sizes, or hair oil or the detangling oil 2-3x a week on the length of your hair concentrating on the ends to help seal moisture in.

There are also shampoo's and conditioners from Hairobics but I haven't used any of them. My favorite product is the scalp rejuventator oil. I apply it before washing and massage it in for 20-30 mintues before washing. It helps keep my newgrowth soft and easy to manage.

the website is hairobicsallnatural.com

locabouthair

Well she has vitamins but mostly it is a hair care system that promotes growth. The basic Hairobics regime is you spray your scalp with this leave in conditioner 3x a week and massage it in...it tingles and increases circulation to the scalp. Then you use this hair booster (which is like a light grease) or scalp rejuventor oil on your scalp once a week. You also use a small amount, dime sizes, or hair oil or the detangling oil 2-3x a week on the length of your hair concentrating on the ends to help seal moisture in.

There are also shampoo's and conditioners from Hairobics but I haven't used any of them. My favorite product is the scalp rejuventator oil. I apply it before washing and massage it in for 20-30 mintues before washing. It helps keep my newgrowth soft and easy to manage.

the website is hairobicsallnatural.com

Thanks gymfreak.

InJesusName

LAWD A MERCY!! How do you have the patience to apply those growth aides on a regular basis? I am one of those that will work with a growth aid for about a month before I just get plain ole lazy and stop applying them. Besides they make my thin hair either too oily and weighted down or too dry. I'm thinking of giving up on this. Somebody needs to bottle some patience and sell that. That's what I need:lachen:!

Ladyhenri

LAWD A MERCY!! How do you have the patience to apply those growth aides on a regular basis? I am one of those that will work with a growth aid for about a month before I just get plain ole lazy and stop applying them. Besides they make my thin hair either too oily and weighted down or too dry. I'm thinking of giving up on this. Somebody needs to bottle some patience and sell that. That's what I need:lachen:!

:lachen::lachen::lachen:at the bottled patience bit (seriously can you let a sister know when thats for sale?:look:)

Ladyhenri

Excellent point. Sometimes we have to slow our roll and get the basics down first. I'm still on the basics myself.

I agree with the above. When i saw the fanatstic heads of hair here, i thought they were all using some magic potion. A year and a few months later, i'm finally realising that health leads to length...and i'm focusing more on my hair.