Is it easier to stay natural if you have curls vs. napps?

caligirl

I see a people saying that I love my natural hair because its curly, etc., etc. But what about us coarse, kinky haired girls (like myself)? Is the motivation as strong to stay natural if you've got kinks?

Super_Hero_Girl

I have kinky natural hair and I love it 100%. I've been natural for 3+ years and it has not been difficult dealing with my texture. I think lots of people see kinky hair and are just put off my the idea that it is knotty and unmanagable, but this is not true. You simply have to learn how to care for it like you do for any other type of hair. I enjoy my texture and wouldn't change it for anything.

mkstar826

supersonic
I don't think it's easier one way or the other. personally I think both types of can have their challenges. I've heard some naturals with looser hair textures say their hair won't hold twists or braids well. i know if my hair couldn't hold a twist or a braid I'd be hot :lachen: cause I love twists and braids. So I think either way you're going to face challenges but you have to learn to work with them.

My hair is extremely thick and extremely nappy, coily, & fuzzy. That combination can lead to horrible tangles if I don't do the right things to it. But I've learned how to manage it and I have ZERO problems. I think that's the key to any texture...learn how to take care of it and accept it for what it is and there shouldn't be a problem. But I think a lot of people going into be natural expecting or wanting a certain texture and that's a part of the problem.

I think it's easier to stay natural if you have the right attitude and you're not always looking at every challenge as a reason to go back to chemicals.

Last edited:

darkflame213

mkstar826 said:
I think that's the key to any texture...learn how to take care of it and accept it for what it is and there shouldn't be a problem.
I think it's easier to stay natural if you have the right attitude .

ITA!!!
Also, I think the plethora of products available to assist curly hair can make non-curly naturals feel a little left out.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I think it depends on the person. As a curly head natural, I can do wash n gos w/ no problem. I can't braid or twist to save my life. I love seeing those styles on others and wish I could see it on myself. I get discouraged too easily. :ohwell:

lawgirl02

I'm so sorry, I know this is offtopic... BUT mkstar826 I just love your hair in the pic. It is such a cute twist-out. Again sorry guys for the detour. :)

divine

When I was natural I never had a hard time with my hair. My friend who has 4b hair hair is actually easier to do.....

Daughter

UK Blak
Not having curls I dunno, but I know I got more flak when my hair was short or when I let my hair get messy. When it was short and relaxed or relaxed and messy I didn't get too many comments...

7.5 years later and I'm still not going back to the perm so I'd say it got easier with time though it wasn't a huge battle for me.

mkstar826

supersonic
lawgirl02 said:
I'm so sorry, I know this is offtopic... BUT mkstar826 I just love your hair in the pic. It is such a cute twist-out. Again sorry guys for the detour. :)

thanks lawgirl02 :D

hotshot

how should i know whats easier when i have nothing to compare it to?

Ive been natural since 98 and there's no reason to go back. everybody has to learn what to do for THEIR hair to make it EASIER, and that depends on the individual's mindset. if you go into it thinking its a challenge, it will be. i never knew 'any better' and never saw my nappy, crinkly, coily, coarse, fuzzy hair as ugly or problematic. during these years its mostly been between 6-10 inches, and it was quite long and thick when i stopped wearing braids for a year, washed my hair and the perm underneath reverted. Personally, I was excited. i never considered curls vs napps or any of this.

a friend of mine has type 3b hair and yes, she's mixed. she struggles with her hair constantly and has only just recently found what works. her hair has never grown past neck/shoulder length. ever. she'd rather have straight hair.

weaveadiva

mkstar826 said:
But I think a lot of people going into be natural expecting or wanting a certain texture and that's a part of the problem.
I think it's easier to stay natural if you have the right attitude and you're not always looking at every challenge as a reason to go back to chemicals.

wow, you hit the nail on the head!

secretdiamond

I may not be allowed to say anything since I'm relaxed... but yes IMO it would be easier. If I had curls, I would be natural in a hot second. I'm not gonna sit here and try to be politically correct and say no and that I love my napps and everyone goes thru torubles and it's just as hard to be a natural either way b/c that's not what I believe. It's probably b/c I don't want to take the time to learn ad I'm ignorant, but I was natural as a youngster, and I have no desire of going back. I've been there, done that. BUT I'm not knocking naturals b/c I LOVE seeing women with natural hair ESPECIALLY with 4a/4b hair. I am literally in love :love: with their hair when I see it. Partly also b/c they make it look so easy, but just as with a relaxed head, it's not as easy as it looks and that's the joy in it--- seeing all that hard work pay off so beautifully. :yep:

Now I duck out of the thread

P

patient1

This question comes up often and I think it's a good one. I remember a few years ago a colleague at my job shared sentiments based in that question. She said she'd be natural too if her hair wasn't "very nappy" like my hair and another teacher.

It seems like the looser the curl pattern (and closer to the appearance of texturized or relaxed hair) the easier it is for OTHERS to accept your natural hair. And if outside acceptance/affirmation is what you seek and need, then the answer to your questions is yes.

If, on the other hand, you don't need that assistance then the answer is flatly no. The journey becomes accepting what you were given and that can be done whatever the texture.

P1

CatSuga

Well.......my hair isn't curly but having natural hair is very easy for me.
Wash, pick, add headband. What's so hard about that? :lachen:

I think alot of women are discouraged about having natural nappy hair because they don't like it. Curly "good hair" has been programmed into black women's brain for so long, for someone to want nappy "bad hair" is totally unconcivable.

Also, also, also........there is a severe lack of education add resouces when it comes to natural hair. I wouldn't dare use any of these products marketed toward natural hair because they are all bulls***. Then these "natural" stylist, hell......they don't even know how to care for natural hair. All they know is how to braid, loc, and sell you shea butter. GTFOOHWTBS!
I've tried to go natural many many times and always went back to weaves, braids, relaxers, and texturizers simply because nobody knew anything about natural hair.

Last edited:

Brownie

secretdiamond said:
I may not be allowed to say anything since I'm relaxed... but yes IMO it would be easier. If I had curls, I would be natural in a hot second.

Might be that way with you, but I have curls, and I texturized for a year because I threw my hands up in the air and thought I couldn't deal with my hair. After a year with a texturizer, I got motivated to deal with my hair, and now, I find natural hair easy---easier than chemically treated hair. Also there are some 2's on the board with relaxed/texturized hair, so it's not always about texture, and some naturals of all textures consider their hair nappy. BTW newsflash, curly hair isn't a picnic to deal with either.

Anyway, I thought about this topic the other day. I wondered to myself if I would be natural if I were something like a 4b, and I came to the conclusion that I would; I would just wear my hair in different hairstyles. If you think of Rudy from the Cosby show with thick, long, bushy hair that's not curly, you can see how beautiful 4b hair can be. Also we have jainygirl on the board who's 4b. Her hair is awesome. I definitely wouldn't strip away the beauty of that unique hair type with a relaxer/texturizer.

secretdiamond

Brownie said:
Might be that way with you, but I have curls, and I texturized for a year because I threw my hands up in the air and thought I couldn't deal with my hair. After a year with a texturizer, I got motivated to deal with my hair, and now, I find natural hair easy---easier than chemically treated hair. Also there are some 2's on the board with relaxed/texturized hair, so it's not always about texture, and some naturals of all textures consider their hair nappy. BTW newsflash, curly hair isn't a picnic to deal with either.

Anyway, I thought about this topic the other day. I wondered to myself if I would be natural if I were something like a 4b, and I came to the conclusion that I would; I would just wear my hair in different hairstyles. If you think of Rudy from the Cosby show with thick, long, bushy hair that's not curly, you can see how beautiful 4b hair can be. Also we have jainygirl on the board who's 4b. Her hair is awesome. I definitely wouldn't strip away the beauty of that unique hair type with a relaxer/texturizer.

Ummm did you bother to read the rest of my post?? I said that I LOVE seeing natural 4's and that it was my preference to be relaxed b/c i don't want to. AND i never said it was a picnic. I have tons of friends who are 3's, 2's who are BOTH natural and relaxed. And BTW, newsflash beauty of hair whether 2,3,4 isn't stripped away by a relaxer.

I knew my post would stir something, but honesty is honesty and that's my honesty. Sorry I don't have 3/4 hair and see things your way... just like you don't have 4a/4b relaxed hair and see things my way. ALL hair whether relaxed or natural is BEAUTIFUL. For me, relaxed is the way to go. :ohwell:

eboniwoman

lil bunny
CatSuga said:
Well.......my hair isn't curly but having natural hair is very easy for me.
Wash, pick, add headband. What's so hard about that? :lachen:

I think alot of women are discouraged about having natural nappy hair because they don't like it. Curly "good hair" has been programmed into black women's brain for so long, for someone to want nappy "bad hair" is totally unconcivable.

Also, also, also........there is a severe lack of education add resouces when it comes to natural hair. I wouldn't dare use any of these products marketed toward natural hair because they are all bulls***. Then these "natural" stylist, hell......they don't even know how to care for natural hair. All they know is how to braid, loc, and sell you shea butter. GTFOOHWTBS!
I've tried to go natural many many times and always went back to weaves, braids, relaxers, and texturizers simply because nobody knew anything about natural hair.

I have to totally agree with what you have stated.....I thought my hair was "nappy" but when you experiment with styling adds you'd be surpirsed to know that your hair is GORGEOUS!

caligirl

@Secretdiamond:

I totally agree. I know the grass always seems greener. But man, I look at some of these transitioning albums and if my hair looked like thiers, I would transition too. I'm talking about the albums where you think "why did she get a perm in the first place."

mkstar826

supersonic
patient1 said:
It seems like the looser the curl pattern (and closer to the appearance of texturized or relaxed hair) the easier it is for OTHERS to accept your natural hair. And if outside acceptance/affirmation is what you seek and need, then the answer to your questions is yes.

If, on the other hand, you don't need that assistance then the answer is flatly no. The journey becomes accepting what you were given and that can be done whatever the texture.

P1

Amen! :clap:

H

honey_jammz82

For me it has nothing to do with how others view me or my hair. It is about my hair being healthy, when I was relaxing my hair was thin and always breaking off. My natural hair is curly and very easy to deal with, but even if I did not have curls the most important thing for me is having healthy hair. I prefer wearing my hair straight, and that has nothing to do with me not being able to accept my texture, it is just my personal preference. I will rock my hair curly for months at a time, and honestly I get more compliments on my hair curly than straight, but again, I just like my hair better straight...and healthy...minus chemicals.

esoterica

i have both curls and naps on my head. what i've found is that the curls can handle a lot more abuse and still thrive, whereas the naps actually need to be looked after to gain length. im not natural, but december will be a 12 month stretch for me. if i was natural, and i wanted to wear a fro then curls vs naps wouldnt matter. if i wanted to wear a straight style, then curls would be easier.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Daughter said:
Not having curls I dunno, but I know I got more flak when my hair was short or when I let my hair get messy. When it was short and relaxed or relaxed and messy I didn't get too many comments...

7.5 years later and I'm still not going back to the perm so I'd say it got easier with time though it wasn't a huge battle for me.

Daughter, your hair is awesome!!:notworthy: All of that pretty, long, thick, jet black natural hair!!

Back to the topic at hand- I will be honest- I have curly/wavy hair and I have thought about cutting it, just because when I see ladies with kinky hair with tons of shrinkage, their twists/twistouts look so much more fuller. My two strands and twistouts just hang by the wayside. I have to fluff them everyonce in a while. So, for me, if I had kinky hair, I still would have taken the natural route.

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonPearl

mkstar826 said:
I think that's the key to any texture...learn how to take care of it and accept it for what it is and there shouldn't be a problem. But I think a lot of people going into be natural expecting or wanting a certain texture and that's a part of the problem.

I think it's easier to stay natural if you have the right attitude...

Took the words right outta my mouth. :)

DragonPearl

CatSuga said:

So true. I have learned how to care for natural hair from hair forums, and zilch from hair stylists. And those so called natural hair magazines are no help either.

Cheleigh

mkstar826 said:
My hair is extremely thick and extremely nappy, coily, & fuzzy. That combination can lead to horrible tangles if I don't do the right things to it. But I've learned how to manage it and I have ZERO problems. I think that's the key to any texture...learn how to take care of it and accept it for what it is and there shouldn't be a problem. But I think a lot of people going into be natural expecting or wanting a certain texture and that's a part of the problem.

ITA. The reason that transitioning is not the struggle for me that it is for some is in part because I accept my textures for what they are--my natural hair is the leader here, so I don't try and beat it into submission in order to look like my relaxed hair. I'm at an age and place in my life where I've learned to work WITH what God has given me, not against it.

And as an aside, a pet peeve of mine is to hear someone say "my natural hair is unmanageable." I would rather they say something closer to the truth, which is--"I don't know how to manage my hair," or "I don't like my hair texture," or "being natural doesn't give me the result I seek," or "I like my hair better straightened," etc. etc. My family thought my super easily tangled natural hair was unmanageable. It's not--they just didn't know the correct techniques and tools. ;)

Brownie

secretdiamond said:
I may not be allowed to say anything since I'm relaxed... but yes IMO it would be easier. If I had curls, I would be natural in a hot second. I'm not gonna sit here and try to be politically correct and say no and that I love my napps and everyone goes thru torubles and it's just as hard to be a natural either way b/c that's not what I believe. It's probably b/c I don't want to take the time to learn ad I'm ignorant, but I was natural as a youngster, and I have no desire of going back. I've been there, done that. BUT I'm not knocking naturals b/c I LOVE seeing women with natural hair ESPECIALLY with 4a/4b hair. I am literally in love :love: with their hair when I see it. Partly also b/c they make it look so easy, but just as with a relaxed head, it's not as easy as it looks and that's the joy in it--- seeing all that hard work pay off so beautifully. :yep:

Now I duck out of the thread

Brownie said:
Originally Posted by Brownie

secretdiamond said:
Ummm did you bother to read the rest of my post?? I said that I LOVE seeing natural 4's and that it was my preference to be relaxed b/c i don't want to. AND i never said it was a picnic. I have tons of friends who are 3's, 2's who are BOTH natural and relaxed. And BTW, newsflash beauty of hair whether 2,3,4 isn't stripped away by a relaxer.

I knew my post would stir something, but honesty is honesty and that's my honesty. Sorry I don't have 3/4 hair and see things your way... just like you don't have 4a/4b relaxed hair and see things my way. ALL hair whether relaxed or natural is BEAUTIFUL. For me, relaxed is the way to go.

Yes, I read your WHOLE thread. The title of this thread is: Is it easier to stay natural if you have curls vs. naps? My answer was no because I have curls, and I have texturized/relaxed before because just like you, I believed relaxed was the way to go. I believed I couldn't handle my hair, and I believed straight hair was the way to go with my type of hair. I thought staying natural was hard. To keep with the topic of the thread, I also said that whether someone has curls or naps might not be an issue for some.

I believe we can all agree that chemicals change the way someone's hair looks. My texturized hair didn't look like my natural hair; yes, it still had curls and waves and it looked nice in a watered down way (watered down compared to its current state), but it didn't compare to the fullness of my current texture. IMHO, natural hair is stripped of its NATURAL unique beauty with chemicals because a change occurs, and it's not the same anymore (spelled out plainly: It's not natural anymore---WHICH IS WHAT I PREFER). That is my opinion, just like you believe that relaxed hair is the way to go. BTW, I believe relaxed hair can look nice also because i've seen some great heads on the board, but I have a preference for the beauty of natural hair; that's why I'm a natural. If I preferred straight hair, I'd be relaxed. And no, I'm not a 4a/b, but if I were, I'd have the fluffiest, biggest hairstyle this side of the Mississippi, and no one would be able to tell me my hair didn't look good; however, I prefer big, full, textured hair regardless of whether it's nappy, wavy, or curly. I understand that not everyone does.

Anyway, no big deal. Everyone has preferences, just like some White women prefer blonde hair, and some like being brunette. It's always refreshing to know that we can all freely share our opinion on this board without conflict.

lovelymissyoli

IMO it’s definitely easier if you have curls vs. naps. Most curlies can pull their hair back and go as opposed to nappies like myself who have to do a little extra. Although I have only a few inches of natural hair, I can tell you that I have to put in extra moisture and such to keep the hair I have in tip top shape while most curlies can use any conditioner or gel and call it a day. Is being curly better? Absolutely NOT!! There are a lot of styles curlies aren’t able to perform on their hair, while we nappies can, and vice versa. But in terms of hours put in on our hair, nappies take the cake.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
lovelymissyoli said:
IMO it’s definitely easier if you have curls vs. naps. Most curlies can pull their hair back and go as opposed to nappies like myself who have to do a little extra. Although I have only a few inches of natural hair, I can tell you that I have to put in extra moisture and such to keep the hair I have in tip top shape while most curlies can use any conditioner or gel and call it a day. Is being curly better? Absolutely NOT!! There are a lot of styles curlies aren’t able to perform on their hair, while we nappies can, and vice versa. But in terms of hours put in on our hair, nappies take the cake.

I agree. A major part of my transitioning plan is bunning and I think it would be considerably less work and time spent manipulating a looser curl pattern for such a simple style.