Is it safe for hair to be damp everyday, all day

dahllia

Im new to the condition wash and rinsing thing and it has done wonders for my hair so far. But I was thinking, is it safe for your hair to always be damp every day? Will constant dampness weaken the hair? I read that in trying to grow your hair long, your ends should almost never be exposed, so air drying for me is pinning it up in a loose bun and I wear protective hairstyles 100% of the time. But this has resulted in my hair being damp all the time. Thanx to anyone who can help me.

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
Thanks for bringing this up Dahllia, I've had the same question. My hair is wet all the time too. We know that our hair is most vulnerable to breakage when it's wet, right? So even though we have all our leave-ins, moisturizers, etc. do we need to let our hair air dry before putting it up in a bun?

dahllia

Brooke007 Im so doggone scared of air, I just put it up in a bun or twists pinned up... anything to make sure my ends dont see air. I just pray it doesnt have any adverse affects.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I'm transitioning. My hair is dripping and soaking wet when I apply my products, put it in a bun and cover it with a fake afro puff. When I leave the house it's still pretty wet.

I have only been doing cond washes for about a month (maybe two...). So far I haven't noticed any adverse effects from my hair being damp most of the day. It looks and feels better than it has in a looooong time.

Nonie

My guess (and this is the opinion of a novice) is that if you can keep it damp (as in ensure that the water will not evaporate and thus leave it dry sometime in the day) then there's no harm. My line of thought stems from the fact that we seek water-based moisturizers in an effort to keep our hair moisturized and these it seems also have some oil to seal that moisture in. Another thing that influences my belief is, the first time my hair achieved any length worth bragging about was when I wore...a juice-dripping Jheri curl and I believe the sprays used for that do are water-based. So as long as you keep it damp (preferably water and oil) then I believe no harm's done...as long as the water isn't laden with harsh minerals. (Enter distilled water
)

*Left hand raised*...I confess it's been years since I was in a science class and my guesses must be examined first and approved by the experts/veterans before being tried at home.

dahllia

Thanx Nonie, this too is my (novice) logic, but then I had a thought that wetness all the time may equal weakness. I will pretty much stick to what I was doing and see what happens. Besides, I have absoulutely NO complaints about conditioner washing and daily rinsing. It feels like one of the best things I have ever done for my hair.

carmella25

I ve been doing coditioner wash and wearing protective syles for 6 months now. I havent had any breakage. My hair its healthier and longer from doing this method. My hair is wet well my bun at least 100% of the time. Its never dried unless when i trim my hair. And thats every 5 months. So no I dont think that it causes the hair to weaken.

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
Thanks ladies. I plan to continue my current regimen too, but I guess I'll be watchful for any noticed weakness or breakage and I definitely won't be manipulating my hair outside of putting it up in a bun. Thanks for the thread Dahllia.

G

My hair is damp most of the time, but I don't think that it's unhealthy to have wet hair. On the contrary, I'm thinking that if hair is dried out it's suseptible to snapping and breaking just as easily. I think that it has to do w/handling as well. It's very important to keep the hair moisturized. I've been doing my hair in buns while my hair is wet for a long while now, w/no adverse side effects. My hair loves it.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
My hair is damp most of the time, but I don't think that it's unhealthy to have wet hair. On the contrary, I'm thinking that if hair is dried out it's suseptible to snapping and breaking just as easily. I think that it has to do w/handling as well. It's very important to keep the hair moisturized. I've been doing my hair in buns while my hair is wet for a long while now, w/no adverse side effects. My hair loves it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here.

sweetcocoa

I agree with the others. I feel like my hair is getting a healthy rest when I wear it a in a bun and it's damp all day every day. When my hair feels dry this is my remedy for 2 or more weeks straight.

dahllia

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is important to let the hair dry once in a while because of mildew...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm,this is true.

CaramelKiss

I personally have never experienced this, but women with extremely long hair or very dense thick hair are more prone to it. I have 2 cousins both of whom are sisters, who have hair almost reaching the backs of their knees. They always air dry it open and it takes 1/2 day for their hair to dry this way. Afterwards, they braid it and then put it up in a bun. If they did a wet bun, it would take days and their hair starts to smell. It doesn't hapen to everyone, but if u start to smell something funny, then u should wash your hair again and let it dry open or maybe waiting until it's partly dry to put it in a protective style.