Is it safe to flat iron hair that's already been flatironed?

Let me explain. The other day, I flat ironed my "almost all natural" hair (I'm transitioning cos there's still some relaxed ends). Unfortunately, it didn't come out all poker straight and swanging like I would have wanted :nono:. It is straightened somewhat, but it's just slightly fuzzy all over, quite stiff too, and won't lie down nicely, it just sticks up easily :(. And I used the FHI Technique flat iron on 410 degrees (temperature doesn't adjust), yet my hair must be pretty tough not to straighten probably at that temperature :ohwell:. I'm just thinking of going over the whole thing with my flat iron again this morning. But before I do that, I just want to check with you wise ladies, whether this sounds like a good idea or not? :look:

yardgirl

I would only recommend flat ironing clean, deep conditioned hair with heat protectant on it. I put Chi Silk Infusion AND a heat protection spray on my hair after I've shampooed and DCed it. Then again, I have fine hair and I won't take any chances. Your luck might be different.

LushLox

I personally could not because my hair couldn't tolerate it - but I'm sure there are some ladies who could easily do this but I know my limitations, this is why it's a difficult question for anyone else to answer as you know your hair better than anyone else on here.

Like yardgirl says you should only flat iron after you've done a fresh DC really. It's a lot of manipulation imo.

My initial flat ironing session was right after I'd shampooed, DC'd, added heat protectant, air-dryed, and lightly blowdried my hair. So I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, lol. This has happened the last few times I flat ironed my hair as well.

Sianna

I did it with no obvious adverse side affects. I flat ironed my hair fairly recently and the first session didn't get my hair very straight. The next day I added a bit more heat protectant and went over it again. It looked a little better, but my hair has always been pretty resistant to any type of straightening, relaxers included. Anyway, once I was done wearing my mostly straight, but still quite fluffy hair, I washed it out. It reverted completely so I feel fairly confident that I didn't damage it.

Like someone else mentioned, you know your hair better than anyone here so really, it's up to you to decide how much heat is safe to use. Experience and experimentation will be your best allies in discovering your hair's limits!

Best of luck!

I did it with no obvious adverse side affects. I flat ironed my hair fairly recently and the first session didn't get my hair very straight. The next day I added a bit more heat protectant and went over it again. It looked a little better, but my hair has always been pretty resistant to any type of straightening, relaxers included. Anyway, once I was done wearing my mostly straight, but still quite fluffy hair, I washed it out. It reverted completely so I feel fairly confident that I didn't damage it.

Like someone else mentioned, you know your hair better than anyone here so really, it's up to you to decide how much heat is safe to use. Experience and experimentation will be your best allies in discovering your hair's limits!

Best of luck!

Hey, thanks, I just needed to hear something like this :yep:. I suppose I may as well give it a go then :D

Nonie

I can only tell you what happened to me when I did. Granted, I didn't do it once. But every day after a shower. I enjoyed the quick styling of straight hair while on my honeymoon, hence the "touch ups" after a steam shower...but when the honeymoon was over, so it was too for my hair. I had to chop off quite a chunk of dead ends.

The thing w/ flatironing is, it can go well or it can go so wrong. And if it goes wrong, there's no second chance. It's back to square one. So if I were you, rather than risk damage by doing another press, I'd do a braid-out and wear my hair in a nice full puff like Billsbarkerz was wearing once in her siggy. Chalk it up to just being a different look that your hair can sport and try again another time, after your hair has gone through the necessary preps.

30something

I wouldn't do it, if its stiff you probably put too much product in.. maybe even used the wrong products as leave ins. I don't think doing it over will make it any better. When my hair comes out stiff, and try to use more heat to fix it.. it just never happens. Now I usually just use a really good conditioner that leaves the hair soft with out the use of a leave in and just apply a little heat protectant and flat iron.

I would shampoo/clarifying and start over using less product. HTH

Akemi

I think that before attempting to flat iron again to get your hair straight, you should figure out why it didn't straighten. 410 degrees seems like more than enough heat to get it straight.

Maybe it's your technique. Or maybe it wasn't deep conditioned well enough. Or maybe you need a protein treatment before deep conditioning. Or maybe it's your hair's porosity. Did you use the comb-chase method?

I say all this this because I have a feeling that if you do the same thing you did before you'll get the same results.

EllePixie

I agree with those who said to start over...if it's already stiff, it's not going to start swanging if you go over it again. I speak from personal experience!

Kneechay

I wouldn't. This double ironing may lead to breakage or a set back. Take an L on this flat ironing session, it's gonna be ok

410 is high direct heat already, and since you're going natural, I'd suggest you start getting used to not having super straight hair or having hairdos that you'll have to finagle to make it work.

Here are my suggestions:
-Silk wrap with a saran wrap and sit under the dryer for 15 min. After, wrap with a silk scarf and let it sit.
-Get some flexi rods and sit under the dryer for a cute curly look
-Do a dry braid out or twistout

at night, either pincurl or rollerset it.

Good luck

Hi, thank you everyone for your replies. Hmmm, most of you are saying it's a bad idea, so I guess I should take note. I think maybe I'll just try on a small section first at least, to see if it does improve. If not, then that's that idea forgotten.

I think that before attempting to flat iron again to get your hair straight, you should figure out why it didn't straighten. 410 degrees seems like more than enough heat to get it straight.

Maybe it's your technique. Or maybe it wasn't deep conditioned well enough. Or maybe you need a protein treatment before deep conditioning. Or maybe it's your hair's porosity. Did you use the comb-chase method?

I say all this this because I have a feeling that if you do the same thing you did before you'll get the same results.

I always make sure to always DC really well, for at least an hour to sometimes overnight, so I don't think it was that. I also did just do a protein prepoo beforehand, then shampooed then moisture DC. I'm not sure about porosity though, I don't really understand about that.

I'm thinking, maybe it was my technique. My blow dryer doesn't really seem to loosen the curls much, just dry them, so maybe it's not such a good blowdryer (it's quite old as well, maybe that's it?). Maybe I also went a little overboard with the heat protectant. I should also look into that comb chase method, thanks :yep:

frida1980

It could be your heat protectant. Some of the spray heat protectants leave my hair very stiff feeling. When I use too much hair serums, it gives it heavy/sticky feeling.

But the stiff feeling is normal after the first press, Normally on day 1, my hair is pretty stiff and won't move. If I wrap it and sleep on it, it gets silky over night.

It is okay if you want to press again, but only lightly. For me, my hair sometimes dislikes the first press and I get some reversion over night. If I want a very straight press, then I turn down the temperature and go over the head again. After wrapping it this time, it looks just perfect for at least five days. Also, it doesn't revert even in some of the most trying conditions. Just remember to do it again until after washing. You can also wrap your hair and sit under a dryer. It will not get your hair any straighter, but it will soften it some what.

Also remember that natural hair that's never been pressed will not press well for the first few times. Around the 4th or 5th time, you see a marked difference.

Solitude

I'm late, but I had to think about it....I'd have to say no on this. I went on vacation this summer and decided to "touch up" my hair with a flat iron maybe 3 times while on vacay. I've been babying my hair for the last 2 months to try to recover from all of the broken hairs I saw afterwards.

The rest of the summer I DC's and did buns and braidouts both before and after the vacay. Those 4 days of heat styling made me have to trim an inch off of my hair with my last relaxer. :nono: I don't think the initial straightening was the problem; I think it was the little "touchups" afterward.

BonBon

Let me explain. The other day, I flat ironed my "almost all natural" hair (I'm transitioning cos there's still some relaxed ends). Unfortunately, it didn't come out all poker straight and swanging like I would have wanted :nono:. It is straightened somewhat, but it's just slightly fuzzy all over, quite stiff too, and won't lie down nicely, it just sticks up easily :(. And I used the FHI Technique flat iron on 410 degrees (temperature doesn't adjust), yet my hair must be pretty tough not to straighten probably at that temperature :ohwell:. I'm just thinking of going over the whole thing with my flat iron again this morning. But before I do that, I just want to check with you wise ladies, whether this sounds like a good idea or not? :look:

You know what. I really damaged my hair this year as I was handling my natural hair for the first time ever out of extensions. I did all the stuff the ladies said to do to prep my hair but the heat wouldn't straighten my hair so I kept turning the heat up.

Moral of the story is if I would have taken it slower and practiced my technique (comb chase method is a god send:grin:) I wouldn't have burnt my hair. I have a lot of split ends from that one time at the high heat.

I have learned that unlike some ladies my hair likes moisturizing (even after DC) before the flat iron attempt. This can leave me with straight hair even if I turn it down to 180-210. Not everyone is the same but please be careful with the high heat, especially if you have fine strands! You will find as your technique improves and you find the right products you won't need to "touch up" repeatedly. Also you can keep your hair straight overnight with rollers or wrap methods.

Bnster

OP will need to test her hair to see if doing another pass the next day is okay however my concern is her flat iron is not adjustable (410 F is high). If she could reduce the heat and then go over it one pass and of course with additional heat protectant and not doing 3 more times until the next wash shouldn't cause much or any damage to my opinion. There are great ideas from the ladies of alternatives until your next wash. Personally I would leave it be and try again for your next wash.

Now about flat ironing on clean hair, my niece asked me to flat iron her hair the other day and I was surprise when she came to me with a lot of product sitting on her hair. Her hair wasn't freshly washed. I did the flat iron for her but I know it would have been better on fresh hair. I didn't see any damage to her hair from doing this, only thing that was it left residue on the flat iron, I don't like. However her hair is strong and thick, she is BSL, texlaxed.

My question is why do you not flat iron on unclean hair?

Last edited:
OK, I just tested re-flatironing on a few small sections earlier today. It got a little straighter, but not much difference :(. Was still sticking up a bit and not lying flat :ohwell:. Ah, that's a shame. Oh well, will leave it for now till my next wash. Thank you all for the advice ladie :yep: