Is my hair protein sensitive????

Sunnrayy

Hey Beautiful Ladies,

I'm wondering if my hair is protein sensitive or if I I just used too much protein. Here is what I did:

1. Pre-poo with paul mitchell the conditioner leave-in and aphogee 2 min reconstuctor (this is the first time I've done this and I worked out on the treadmill with this on)

2. Washed with Sally's GVP of Nexxus moisturizing shampoo

3. Applied black rinse: Clairols beautiful collection(left on for alotted time and rinsed)

4. Deep conditioned (no heat) for 3hrs or so with: Sally's GVP Nexxus humectress

5. rinsed conditioner out apply Paul Mitchell-the conditioner leave in

6. applied John Frieda frizz ease serum

7. air-dried

During this process I noticed after I washed out the first step which was the pre-poo (with aphogee 2 min mixed with a leave in con)that my hair seemed very tangled then and I was just at the first step. I was afraid to do the rinse at this point because I believe it has Hydrolyzed keratin in it but its not at the top of the ingredient list more towards the bottom.

I went ahead and did the rinse in step 3 and made sure to deep condition. So my question is based on my suspicion that the problem came after the 1st step. Could my hair be that sensitive to protein that it was affected by the aphogee 2 min reconstructor? I did leave it on for 30 min or so with the other pre-poo ingredients I put into my hair while I worked out.

So, my questions are geared towards what caused the tangling during my wash day and the crunchy kind of feel I have now. I mean its not totally dry and crunchy because I deep conditioned a long time but I can tell its not as smooth as usual and I had to fight to get it this way:

1. Did I leave the aphogee 2 minute on too long?

2. Am I just extremely sensitive to protein?

3. Was it a bad idea to do a protein treatment (light or not) and a rinse on the same wash day?

:look: I'm perplexed...Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Dposh167

#1 -you prepoo'd with a protein
#2- you shampoo'd with a sulfate AFTER prepoo'ing with a protein
#3- you used a rinse

from my personal experience...I never use rinses when i'm doing a protein treatment. just bc i know how MY hair reacts to it. Some rinses may have a protein...even a plant protein. so, even tho i may DC after the rinse....my hair still doesn't feel like normal (soft normal).

so i think it maybe the combination of the protein + sulfate+ rinse....all in the same wash, that may have messed it up.

ceebee3

Yes I agee, there may have been protein in the rinse that bothered your hair. Also, I use Paul Mitchell The Conditioner and it's very moistuirizing but it's not a good detangler. That could have added to your problem as well.

I wouldn't use that leave in as a pre-poo.

Dposh167

.....and i just noticed you used Humectress as your dc....which may not have been a strong enough DC for you and everything you used prior. i don't know if Humectress is actually made to be a dc. i never used it. but i think with a protein + sulfate+ rinse (protein in it)....you would need a serious moisturizing DC

Sunnrayy

.....and i just noticed you used Humectress as your dc....which may not have been a strong enough DC for you and everything you used prior. i don't know if Humectress is actually made to be a dc. i never used it. but i think with a protein + sulfate+ rinse (protein in it)....you would need a serious moisturizing DC

Thanks Poochie

question: what is a sulfate and why should I stay away from them?

What would be a serious moisturizing DC? I've loved the Humectress and its been very moisturizing but I'm always open for suggestions:yep:

Sunnrayy

Yes I agee, there may have been protein in the rinse that bothered your hair. Also, I use Paul Mitchell The Conditioner and it's very moistuirizing but it's not a good detangler. That could have added to your problem as well.

I wouldn't use that leave in as a pre-poo.

Yeah that's the first time I tried it, wanted to use different things but I won't be doing it again. It is moisturizing but not a good detangler. Thanks!

Irresistible

I think its very important to follow directions to the letter when using heavy protein treatments

I agree with the others that following up with more protein was also another potential problem

use some natural oils, it always works to get my hair back!

Sunnrayy

I think its very important to follow directions to the letter when using heavy protein treatments

I agree with the others that following up with more protein was also another potential problem

use some natural oils, it always works to get my hair back!