UGH! tHA BALANCE BETWEEN mOISTURE AND PROTEIN!!!!

chocolatetresses

I'm still trying to balance this thing out! Okay my hair is shedding like crazy. I was told that its due to the fact that I've been transitioning for quite some time. I also assumed that I really need to balance the moisture and protein content in my hair. Here's what I planned on doing:

Pre-poo w/ Aphogee 2 min reconstructor (Not the 2 step one!)
Wash hair
Deep condition with ORS replenishing conditioner
Use Shea moisture leave-in as a...well leave-in lol!:look:
Seal w/ an oil (castor or coconut)
Style as desired

I'm still a little stuck b/c I heard that ORS condish is protein but at the same time its moisturizing. Would this be an overload of protein or does this sound suffice?

naturalgurl

Yeah, I think you should eliminate the Aphogee, it's harder. I don't know this though, just what I heard here. But eliminate one of them. From what I've been reading, too much protein for a transitioner is death to the hair.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I think you should try it out and see how it works. it may or may not sound good when typed out but the proof is in the results.

and protien is excellent for transitioning hair imo its helps to keep the hair from breaking at the demarcation point. just properly moisturize after!

and do you mean breakage or shedding? shedding is normal. breakage is not. i shed like a cat and i have plenty of hair/

from reading on here
shedding is when there is a white bulb at the end of hair (shed 50-100 hairs a day)
breakage there is no white bulb

hth

chocolatetresses

Oh then its def. Both ladies! Can Someone help. Mind you I am transitiong and plan on cutting it by the end of this year/ before the end of jan 09. What should I do?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i also want to add that shed hair can have a black bulb on the tip as well. the white bul means you have an oily scalp and the back bulb means you dont. though i don think and oily scalp impedes growth.

Artemis

i also want to add that shed hair can have a black bulb on the tip as well. the white bul means you have an oily scalp and the back bulb means you dont. though i don think and oily scalp impedes growth.

Where did you hear/read this? I've never heard of that before.

Thanks.

vkb247

What I have read about the hair cycle says that if your hair has a white bulb on the end it came out too soon... even though it was preparing to come out. I think the basic way to tell the difference between breakage and shedding is that shed hairs should be as long as your hair is and breakage will be broken, shorter pieces of hair.

Not scientific, but...

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Where did you hear/read this? I've never heard of that before.

Thanks.

i read this in Riquettes how to grow hair in 12 weeks.its a good book from what i remember but it is focused on people who are balding. i havent read it in ages. it has good natural recipes and tips. i cant find my book but i will post a link to it. the tips it had to massage the scalp with a brush has been working for my moms bald spot. i really need to find that book. i only remember bits and pieces of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Grow-Hair-Twe...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229464817&sr=1-2

Napp

Ms. Nobody
What I have read about the hair cycle says that if your hair has a white bulb on the end it came out too soon... even though it was preparing to come out. I think the basic way to tell the difference between breakage and shedding is that shed hairs should be as long as your hair is and breakage will be broken, shorter pieces of hair.

Not scientific, but...
Really? i always am finding hair that is short yet has a bulb even those little "C"s It freaked me out for a while but i got over it. as long as its not broken.:ohwell:

Artemis

i read this in Riquettes how to grow hair in 12 weeks.its a good book from what i remember but it is focused on people who are balding. i havent read it in ages. it has good natural recipes and tips. i cant find my book but i will post a link to it. the tips it had to massage the scalp with a brush has been working for my moms bald spot. i really need to find that book. i only remember bits and pieces of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Grow-Hair-Twe...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229464817&sr=1-2

Thanks for the info :up:

I will look into this. I listen to trichologist Lisa Akbari's radio show and she has never discussed this, so I wonder if that applies to premature, altered or otherwise damaged follicles, since (per Akbari's info) a healthy hair shaft that sheds should only have a white bulb :scratchch... Off to do some digging...

Artemis

Not scientific, but...

I'm not completely certain about this but I think that if the hair came out too soon, there would be the black bulbous appearance, and if it's white, then it's a finished hair b/c the cells collect in the follicle up until the final phase...I hope to do more research on this and come back to report.

Artemis

I'm still trying to balance this thing out! Okay my hair is shedding like crazy. I was told that its due to the fact that I've been transitioning for quite some time. I also assumed that I really need to balance the moisture and protein content in my hair. Here's what I planned on doing:

Pre-poo w/ Aphogee 2 min reconstructor (Not the 2 step one!)
Wash hair
Deep condition with ORS replenishing conditioner
Use Shea moisture leave-in as a...well leave-in lol!:look:
Seal w/ an oil (castor or coconut)
Style as desired

I'm still a little stuck b/c I heard that ORS condish is protein but at the same time its moisturizing. Would this be an overload of protein or does this sound suffice?

When I use the Aphogee 2 min, I experience a balance of moisture and protein...but my hair likes protein so maybe it's different for you.

Essentially, you will need to assess the strands when wet and dry to determine which you need. Try searching for the Sistaslick threads on moisture/protein balance to learn how to do it (if you don't already).

I think the ORS replenishing is the moisturizing one, and the ORS Hair Mayo is the protein...